Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The state of the glittering, 2018

+2
Astrokeofinspiration
skquinn
6 posters

Go down

The state of the glittering, 2018 Empty The state of the glittering, 2018

Post by skquinn Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 pm

So I'm planning ahead for my next major kit purchase, and I'm currently pondering glitter (for standard face painting, not glitter tattoos). I looked at the past posts, and the most encouraging link is to a product that no longer exists.

The first question I have to get out there: Is glitter even a must-have item? Maybe it's my age and gender but the last five times I got painted up (four of them this year, then back in 2013) glitter didn't even enter the picture. The last time I remember glitter being part of the package was getting painted up at Texas Renaissance Festival back in 2007, and I saw the occasional orange speck of glitter show up somewhere until right up until the festival came around in 2008. Not exactly the way I want to keep remembering the experience... and now that I think of it, not an experience I'm eager to leave clients (or their parents) with either.

Second, if it's a must-have item for whatever reason (and the biggest reason I can think of is that some party hosts/event planners may insist I have it ready just in case), what brand and how many different colors?

Finally, are there artists out there reading this that just don't do glitter? If so, did it ever cost you a gig?

skquinn

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-06-10

Back to top Go down

The state of the glittering, 2018 Empty Re: The state of the glittering, 2018

Post by Astrokeofinspiration Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:57 pm

All you really need is the Mama Clown Iridescent White Glitter Dust holographic.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.  When I first started I purchased every color.  Today I just use the holographic white glitter.

Last edited by Astrokeofinspiration on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Astrokeofinspiration

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by skquinn Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Astrokeofinspiration wrote:All you really need is the holographic white glitter.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.  When I first started I purchased every color.  Today I just use the holographic white glitter.  

Looking at Bioglitter, would this be the disco mix, fairy mix, or unicorn mix? Or is holographic white not something they make? (I'm an environmentalist, so right now Bioglitter is the front runner.)

skquinn

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrokeofinspiration Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 pm

This is what I use - Mama Clown Iridescent Glitter Jar - White Glitter Dust. I haven't tried the new type of glitter. I am waiting to see how it works for everyone else.

I have purchased the mixed glittered types like pixie paint. I have offered them at events but no one really wants them. Most people seem to complain that they tried it and didn't like it. Judging from the comments I have heard I think they are getting craft glitter mixed with a base applied to their faces. Of course, it not the same but I don't have time to educate them while painting a line of children.

Astrokeofinspiration

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:29 pm

must. have. glitter.

face paint without glitter is like pizza without cheese Smile

glitter just makes everything look better. almost every girl will take glitter if you offer it. and if you get a spritzer or poofer bottle, you can add it quickly, or dab a bit on.

glitter gel will smear face paint but can be used to outline or accent designs if you have time.

a basic white or silvery glitter is good, like astrokeofinspiration mentioned. however, sometimes a few colors are good, to complement specific designs - like pink or turquoise for princess, rainbow cats, or mermaid designs.

and i like to have some bold colors for boys designs, they'll take glitter if it matches the design - black on batman, star wars, or shark, red on spidey or flash, green or blue on dinosaur or snake.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned, glitter is a "must have". Although some rarely say "no glitter", most girls will ask for it & be disappointed if you don't have any. There are opaque glitters that are best on glitter tattoos, since they'll almost hide your design & translucent ones that are perfect for face painting, allowing the color underneath to show thru the shine. Both serve a purpose for face painting. When I started, I only used iridescent, silver glitter. Later, I learned both are useful. Now, when I want something to "POP", I use opaque glitter: Rudolph's nose, my Pashur inspired half butterfly & to highlight my pumpkins for example. Otherwise, I use iridescent (clear) Fairy Dust (smaller glitter pieces) or large cut glitter. They both give great shine to everything! Here's some examples...note my older version of Heather Green's candy cane reindeer with iridescent glitter on Rudolph's nose & my updated one using red glitter. Remember, if it's only one color & you want it to pop, like a santa hat, opaque is perfect!  Sorry pics so big!
The state of the glittering, 2018 Rudy_s11
The state of the glittering, 2018 Rudy10
The state of the glittering, 2018 Pashur10
The state of the glittering, 2018 Punkin10
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 pm

p.s. the bio glitter sounded good so I looked it up

https://nurturesoap.com/collections/bio-glitter/products/white-bio-glitter

here are the reported ingredients (cellulose & rayon are from plants, styrene/acrylate copolymer is synthetic & not readily biodegradable) -

INCI: Regenerated Cellulose/Rayon, Glycerin (plant derived), Aqua, Urea, Styrene/Acrylate Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide

another natural option is mica powders, mica is a mineral.

of course it has to be mined, so there's that, although the amount used in cosmetics is probably a fraction of that used industrially.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

The state of the glittering, 2018 Empty Is anyone using chunky glitter, Amerikan Body art Pixie Paint?

Post by AuntieStacey Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 pm

I tried some chunky glitter once and it came off right away. It's cosmetic, but not safe for the eye area. Plus, the gel it lives in reactivates and smears face paint, so you can only put it where there isn't paint. I thought it was a fad that would disappear, but it does seem to be useful for filling in empty areas, and for adults. Opinions?
Thank you!
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-09-30

http://www.auntiestaceysfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am

I painted 104 kids on Saturday and quite a few wanted the designs with the chunky glitter. I use it mostly on areas without paint and often smear some up into the hair for an extra glittery effect. And then I poof on some regular glitter on top of the chunky glitter.

Another way I use it is in designs where I would be inclined to put a gem but am at an event where a gem is not going to work (like a birthday party at a bouncy castle park where the gem would just fall off right away). So my crown design could have gems at the points but instead I put a dab of the chunky glitter at each point.

It's great smearing away from Tinkerbell like "pixie dust" or coming out of a unicorn horn too or off of a splash of water in a dolphin/shark/sunset/water something design.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am

Sounds great! Do you like Pixie Paint? Or do you mix your own with the aloe gel? What color do you prefer?
Thank you
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:53 am

I do like Pixie Paint. I have several colors: Splash (great with water designs and Frozen designs and Cinderella or other princess stuff that has blue), True Colors (kind of iridescent and goes with anything), Lucky Star (I really like the stars in it and use it with lots of designs that have gold or copper in them).

I hope to get some more soon. Probably Fifi Royal (or Mardi Gras or Cupcake Day) and Be Mine and Rock Star.

I apply them with a quarter inch flat brush.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

Thank you so much!
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I ordered a few from Amerikan Body art, including a new blend that sounds like a girly-girl glitter orgasm.

"Winter Wonderland" is a magical pastel blend of pinks, blues, and silver, with stars. It is one of our sheer holographic blends that goes well with just about any color."
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm

ooooh! Sounds delightful! I'm sure you will love them. Be aware that if you try to put them on face paint, they will smear your beautiful artwork. So they are best to go around and such. Also, I find that a poof of iridescent white on top of them will stick to the gel and add extra sparkle.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm

good tip! I love Mama clown's pixie dust glitter.
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down