Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Colorado!

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Colorado! Empty Hello from Colorado!

Post by Meadowlark Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello everyone --

Like many here, I've recently gotten bitten by the face painting bug while volunteering at a function.  I painted 40 kids over the course of the day, which was challenging and yet refreshingly fun. Many people were surprised when I told them this was only my second time face painting (I work as an illustrator and regularly exhibit/sell paintings in local galleries) and several offered to hire me for their next function. Shocked

Seeing as I have no experience in the face-painting realm whatsoever, I thought I'd ask around for some info and just to learn in general.  While face painting shares some overall skills that I already have, there are some marked differences -- especially that it involves a living, breathing canvas that moves around! Laughing

Looking forward to meeting everyone here,

M
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Hello from Colorado! Empty Re: Hello from Colorado!

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Welcome! Use the search button to access various topics. Click on the Face Paint Forum Shop on the top of the page. Metina has what you need & delivers FAST! Watch You Tube: There are lots of wonderful face painting artists w/great teaching skills there: Lisa Joy Young's basic unicorn was my "AH-HA" moment. She also has several on how to start your business, pricing,etc. There, and on this forum, you'll learn what
& why you need good supplies. Good Luck.
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome!  Very Happy

I just found Lisa Joy Young's videos the other day. Definitely helpful!  I just got though reading the entire "Eye Twitch" thread on this forum; wow, and I thought I've had strange interactions painting in public. Very sobering to a starry-eyed newb such as myself.

I only have a basic Mehron Paradise set at the moment, with an extra black and extra white cake I got just before the event, just in case I ran out of those paints (which I did.) I've only done a bit of preliminary research, but this company seems to be considered one of the better ones. It certainly was better than the cheaper set I used my first time several years ago. If there's one thing I've learned making art, it's buy the best supplies you can afford -- not because it automatically confers more skill, but because it can help you get to a higher skill lever more quickly and with way less frustration.

Best,

M

Last edited by Meadowlark on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am

Hi and welcome!
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks, Kris! Smile
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am

hi and welcome meadowlark Smile your art experience will help you with color combinations, contrast, composition, techniques (brush strokes, shading, etc).

the learning curve will be the 3D, textured, moving "canvas" as you mentioned!

but you're right about good supplies, good paints + good brushes = better results. glitter makes it better yet.
and actually, i'd ditch the basic colors and get all metallic and pearl colors, but that's just me, lol.

for cleaner line work and details, you should try a paraffin (wax based) brand such as wolfe, tag, dfx, or cameleon, at least in black and white. global also gets good reviews, although it is not wax based.  mehron is not wax based, either.

i'd recommend starting with simple versions of designs you can do well, then add complexity, or more elaborate designs as you get more experience.

have fun!
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks, jlirie!

I like the suggestion to do simple first, as I've found that while I can create almost any idea a kid might request ("a rainbow cheetah with rabbit ears!")I take waaaay too long to do them at this point.

Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum