Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paying Subcontracted painters

3 posters

Go down

Paying Subcontracted painters Empty Paying Subcontracted painters

Post by razmatattz Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:00 am

Hi all,

At the moment I am painting on my own. But I am curious as to how to go about paying subcontracted face painters. I am looking to be fair to both the client and the painter, but not have the amount be outrageous to the client.

If I ever need it, my plan is to provide all the supplies and equipment and just hire the painter.

I was wondering how does one charge a client vs. paying the painter?

For example, My rate on large events is $100/ hr. If a client wanted 2 painters and I provide all the needed items and have the other painter just paint, what would be a fair rate to the client? Another $100? $75? $50?

Then what would I pay the painter since I have provided the job and all the supplies, etc.? All of it or a portion of it?

I did something like this and I was paid $50/ hour. Not sure what the client was charged.

Thank you for your replies. Very Happy God bless.
razmatattz
razmatattz

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://razmatattz.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Paying Subcontracted painters Empty Re: Paying Subcontracted painters

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:07 pm

When I hire additional painters they are working WITH me, using my kit, covered by my insurance, and I pay them the day they work. I bill the client for additional painters at an hourly rate that is half of my hourly rate (as they are not at my level nor speed). I never send out painters to work on their own or act as an agent.

How much you want to pay them vs. what you charge the client is pretty much your decision. It is your overhead so you need to recoup your expenses, they are only providing labour.

Back to top Go down

Post by razmatattz Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 am

Thank you Shannon.

Yes, I agree, at this time anyway, they will be working with me. I don't have that many gigs that I would be sending out artists under my name. Smile I will have to see if my insurance will cover others working under me.

I was curious as to what others were doing so I could be fair to both the client and the artist, but not charge so much as to keep from getting a gig, yet also pay the artist fairly as well.
razmatattz
razmatattz

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://razmatattz.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:39 pm

The client is paying for the number of painters. Don't worry about that side of it for "fairness." If the going rate in your area is $100/hour for basic skills, charge that for the additional painters. If it is $50, then go with that, as long as you are covering YOUR costs and a little extra for the effort!

And pay them well enough that they will always be available for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by facepaint6272 Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

What percentage rake off the top is normally kept by the person who found the gig (like a finder's fee), before paying the painters who were sub-contracted? Can it vary per painter, even at the same event, depending on the going rates of each sub-contractor you invite? If so, wouldn't you worry some might get mad when they found out they were getting less than you, or the artist sitting right next to them?  Do you ask them to name their price and then you keep whatever the client is paying you, above and beyond the sub-contractor's rate? Or is it standard practice that whatever you're charging the client is what you offer the sub-contractors (on the honor system), such that your only reward for finding the gig is that you got the gig to begin with because you had the contacts to know which painters to call? Do sub-contractors ever want to see the contract in order to know how much you're charging the client they'll be working for, or is it more of a 'this is what I'm offering' (take it or leave it) without the sub-contractor ever knowing? How do most folks do it? If it varies, how does it vary?

facepaint6272

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 pm

The dear pros that I work with mostly detest paperwork & math. Generally between ourselves we keep the rate we normally charge & have the client do separate checks, or we divide it evenly. This you can do with those you love & trust. Agents generally take their cut off the top & & then pay you an agreed rate, depending on the gig, what the client is paying, etc. Tips are always your own, either way. If we are doing a pay per piece type thing, you keep what you make. Hope that is a help & not more confusion.

I think that if someone invests in their own supplies, they also invest in the quality of their art. If you bring them in, no matter what you are paying them, it will always be a reflection on your own work. (Besides that, supplies get pricey.)

anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down