Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamming and Volunteering?

5 posters

Go down

Jamming and Volunteering? Empty Jamming and Volunteering?

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi, I have a two in 1 topic question

1. Do any of you jam, if so what do you believe the point of jamming is with your competition and if you don't same question?

2. in the first year of your business to create a name for yourself, maybe get higher in the search, get your name out, etc did you guys volunteer? Not for private parties, but for walks vendind events that may not ask you to pay, but only allows you to do tips? I've been being told never volunteer, it doesn't increase business or create a name for yourself.

Thanks!
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2015-09-30

http://www.enchantedfacesbydalton.com

Back to top Go down

Jamming and Volunteering? Empty Re: Jamming and Volunteering?

Post by jlirie Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:47 pm

#2 - i got into face painting through trying it out as a volunteer at a children's program, so i still do it as a volunteer for that one agency.

that said, in my area, non-profit executive directors and senior staff make good money, so i wouldn't volunteer for any others.

in fact, i offered to face paint for a reasonable rate at one of them, and the exec director wanted it free (no tip jar), and she makes above the average wage in my area.  i said no.

so check your sources to determine if they can afford it or not. you might be able to make it work for tips, if your crowd is big enough. however, if it is a fund raiser, typically they are charging for other things like food, baked goods, games, crafts, logo merchandise, etc, so people will be spreading their money pretty thin.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 am

I LOVE Jams!
I get a chance to see tips and techniques in action.  I get to look at other's kits and try out a new paint colour.  The thing is... I do not view my fellow painters as my competition... they are my compadres!  If we all work together, to raise the bar of excellence, we will raise expectation level of our clients (and we raise our rate to more of a living wage).  
If I show someone a technique, and they do it better than me... I have to practice and get better.  My fellow painters inspire me.  
I believe good face painters create more of a need for the better artists.  The public, once educated, cannot go back to just a simple heart, or a star on their child's cheek, once they see what we can really do.
I share face painting jobs.  If I am previously booked, I will ask my peers if they would like the job.  I do not take a cut for referring them.  I am not an agent.  I find that I unexpectedly get jobs in return!  When there is a large job, and extra painters are called for, I have some amazing people to choose from now.  I get asked to be on other teams.  I love this.

Oh, and DO NOT WORK FOR FREE.  Free work will only get you free work.  People never remember the free face painter.  They only remember the event.  If they do recall the free face painter, or retain your card, they will call you to do work for free.  If we do not value our work, how can others see your artistry as a valued commodity?  I do volunteer for one charity only.  I cannot provide free face painting for other worthy charities.  Charities have a budget.  Our paint, insurance, brushes, travel, education, cosmetic glitter, bling, kit and accoutréments are expensive.  You are not just having people pay to cover the cost of the paint, you are investing some of that money in the future for education.  The client is not just paying for the paint, they are paying for your artistry.
What area do you live around, EnchantedFacesbyDalton?  I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  I would like to invite you to Winky's Jam tonight, February 16 at 6:30 until 11:00!  There is a pot luck (another reason to attend a jam!), and a 50/50 draw, door prizes, Dotsy the Clown is the vendor, and The Hokey Pokey Shop, and a lot of really nice people.  There are face painters, airbrush artists, balloon twisters, magicians, jugglers and clowns.  It is so inspirational to be in the room and listen to the happy sounds of people sharing knowledge and fun!

Happy Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:25 am

The forums should have a "like" option for that post Lisa!

EnchantedFacesbyDalton would have had about an 8 hour commute to the jam in TO though Razz
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:54 am

That is awesome.. Super nice for the invite, I wish I lived closer or even had a passport... How is the face painting world up in Canada, it's not anytime soon, but I have thought about moving there
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 am

I believe there is an EXCELLENT Guild in Ohio. Some of the Ohio Guild members are members here on the Forum.
I have made life long friends by meeting some of the Forum members in person... at JAMS! I have also met some Forum members during road trips and on the road to and from face painting conventions. I have received jobs from my peers, and I am so grateful. We would not have met each other if it was not for the jams.
I love living here in Canada. I have married a Canadian. I have given birth to hockey-playing Canadians. What has been making you think about moving to Canada, yourself?
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 am

Oh!.... and our Jam has been changed to Thursday, February 18th at 6:30, as the Tuesday Jam was snowed out.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:24 am

Great answer Fessie. You know how I loved meeting you in person at FABAIC!
  Dalton, my 1st time painting was at our local science museum, just to see how I did. I'm their official face painter now, for pay. (still charge them less, but did raise their fee last year for weekend work) When I was brand new, I volunteered at my grandchild's nursery school for fun & experience, sending business cards home...& got jobs from that.  About jamming...what Fessie said!!!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Thank you all for the input!
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down