Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I wish I had known before I started face painting

+5
jlirie
Sarieka
anniel
fesspenter
freetimecrafter
9 posters

Go down

What I wish I had known before I started face painting Empty What I wish I had known before I started face painting

Post by freetimecrafter Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 pm

I'd like to hear from you what you wish you had know before you started face painting.  (I wish I had know it was so addicting and would consume my every thought. lol)  Please share here your experiences and maybe save some of us newbies some headaches.

freetimecrafter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-11-23

Back to top Go down

What I wish I had known before I started face painting Empty Re: What I wish I had known before I started face painting

Post by fesspenter Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 pm

I wish I had spent less money on every new/sparkly colour, and spent more time practicing line work.
I wish I had known about jams, making connections with other painters, and sharing tips and tricks.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

What I wish I had known before I started face painting Empty Re: What I wish I had known before I started face painting

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:30 pm

I wish I had been sensible about purchasing as spending $3000 a year on supplies for 5 years was a total waste of my profits. I could have been profitable and paying taxes on my self-employment earnings YEARS earlier.

Back to top Go down

What I wish I had known before I started face painting Empty What didn't you need?

Post by freetimecrafter Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:11 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:I wish I had been sensible about purchasing as spending $3000 a year on supplies for 5 years was a total waste of my profits.  I could have been profitable and paying taxes on my self-employment earnings YEARS earlier.

What did you buy that you didn't need? What are the basics that you ended up with?

freetimecrafter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:15 pm

That I live in a small town, and will get to know people (both random strangers, artists & agents) that I will meet again and again over the years (3,2+ mil). Always play nice. Take time with people (within reason). You are there to brighten their day.

(This Halloween my regular body paint-ee texted a picture from while she was out, with a gentleman( who's kids I painted when I first began, probably 15 years ago).This morning, I remembered his name--and texted her to ask if it was he. It was.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:54 pm

freetimecrafter wrote:
Shannon Fennell wrote:I wish I had been sensible about purchasing as spending $3000 a year on supplies for 5 years was a total waste of my profits.  I could have been profitable and paying taxes on my self-employment earnings YEARS earlier.

What did you buy that you didn't need?  What are the basics that you ended up with?

Too much.

I would buy multiples, same thing in different brands (i.e. 12 different blues... ), kept trying to find the perfect kit (end results a shed full of tool boxes!).

Which is a common issue for most people.

I wish I just had kept a tighter hold on the spending and used what I had before buying more or different stock constantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarieka Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Wish is a strong word, I would wish for the lottery; but I would have liked to known how many people that don't take the profession seriously and expect free gigs or charity work.

I understand if the artist has time, believes in the cause and wants to contribute. BUT there are too many requests for "exposure" work. The clients seriously need to find a way to compensate the artists or have a sponsor pay for the face painter or lower their exceptions. I'm sure they wouldn't expect an electrician, mechanic or lawyer to trade their services for free so why would they expect the same from a face painter.
Sarieka
Sarieka

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-05-20

http://www.sarieka.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:24 am

don't buy so much stuff.  don't start with snazaroo face paint.  don't buy cheap brushes.

when you are starting out you may think it's best to use cheaper supplies to practice with so you don't waste them. it's not. you won't get good results when you practice. buy a few good quality face paints and brushes to start out well.

do buy glitter.

practice EVERY design until you can do it well BEFORE you paint it in public. (been there..)
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Listen to Lisa (Fesspenter) & Shannon. We've all bought things we had to have & don't use. We REALLY learn from each other...REALLY  learn well. So:
- practice restraint in buying supplies (still trying)
- search here on FPF. a GREAT resource.
-watch you tube..Lisa Joy Young (esp how to start your business), Denise Cold,etc. too many to mention.
- practice
- if a workshop or convention comes close enough...GO!
- search google for area face painters & try to get together. It took me some time, but 4 of us now work together on big jobs & cover for each other w/multiple requests on the same date.
What you learn from other face painters is invaluable & you may be a help to them!
 Best of Luck!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:38 pm

I wish I knew that TAG or wax based paints in general existed when i first started out. There i was touting that Mehron was the best ever since sliced bread, but not knowing the HUGE difference wax base paint offered. Changed my entire business!

I also wish I had thought more about my company name before choosing it. :/
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PatLawmakeup Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:12 pm

I would have liked to know how to deal with parents!
I do not find difficulties dealing with the little ones, even when they put their fingers in my paints... but some parents really can´t keep good manners.
The image they show to their children is really sad Sad
PatLawmakeup
PatLawmakeup

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-03-10

http://patlawmakeup.blogspot.com.es/

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 am

Dear PatLawmakeup:
Welcome to The Forum!
Nobody could have made me understand that there are NutBar parents out there. If they told me... I would not have believed it.
There is a thread here that features this creature. There are not any good answers on the thread as to how to avert her powerful stench of ill-manners. Once I understood that others were suffering her wrath, I no longer felt alone.
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t14967-the-legend-of-the-shape-shifting-nutbar-lady

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by PatLawmakeup Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:58 am

Thanks for the link, Fesspenter!
I will check this out!
To me is a main part of the painting, dealing with children and, esp, dealing with parents. I usually paint in Charity events (Ronald McDonald House in my city) and it is really suprising how some parents get angry for so little things... as waiting for a while in a charity events for sick children...:/

Thanks again!! Smile
PatLawmakeup
PatLawmakeup

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 pm

PatLawmakeup yes, it is the case that parents will often stomp their feet harder then any child you'll ever meet.

One thing I have noticed, with myself and with other face painters, is that if you are offering the face painting to the public for free (even if you are being paid by the event to be there), then people will actually feel MORE entitled to get what they want. It's strange really, that that is the way it seems to go.

My best advice is to stand firm and stick to your guns just like you would with a child. Command your space, or it will command you. Wink
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PatLawmakeup Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Forest Fairy, you are absolutely right!
I only do charity face painting for Ronald McDonald House in Málaga and Spanish Association against Cancer, and I get the same feeling as you and your fellow painters. In some moments, "crisis moments" ("sorry, the queue is closed", "sorry, I do not control the line, that is your own obligation... you are an adult"), I try to remind them that is a free activity for a very good reason... sometimes it works... not always :/ But I keep on painting in any case, the cause is bigger and higher than a few stones on the road Very Happy
PatLawmakeup
PatLawmakeup

Back to top Go down

Post by Aja M. Brown Tue May 23, 2017 1:01 pm

I wish I knew if i need a Vendor's licence or not. I have been painting faces for about 5 years on and off. This year i want to take the craft more serious and maybe event quit my full time job and focus on this but i donlt know if it will be worth it or if I would owe more taxes than I make
Aja M. Brown
Aja M. Brown

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down