Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have DFX trouble?

+5
Kris5115
lilymokus
ginganinja
aniruam
melissah1982
9 posters

Go down

Anyone have DFX trouble? Empty Anyone have DFX trouble?

Post by melissah1982 Fri May 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey all,

So I have built my kit and finally had a chance to test out the new DFX paints on my little cousin. I made a pretty decent LJY style monster mask. She loved it! I couldn't wait till I could try my rainbow butterfly on her. Then there was a snag. After she washed her face, she broke out all over where I had painted. she was red, claimed her head burned a little and was pimply all over.

Needless to say, her mother and I got really nervous. I practice on myself all the time, clean my paints after every use and haven't used them on anyone else since they are new. Has anyone had any problems like this?

I am REALLY hoping she just has very sensitive skin. I spend too much time and money getting my kit together I would hate if they were defected or something. I am going to try and get another family friend to lend me her daughter to try the paints on her. Last time I painted the two of them together (NOT using DFX but Tulip and Wolff) my cousin got a little red/pimply after 2-3 paints where the friend had no issues.

This freaks me out and if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
melissah1982
melissah1982

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-10-11

http://www.melissasfaceart.com/

Back to top Go down

Anyone have DFX trouble? Empty Re: Anyone have DFX trouble?

Post by aniruam Fri May 15, 2015 10:41 pm

I have a lot of DFX paints in my kit and to my knowledge have not run into this problem. It's likely your cousin has very sensitive skin, especially since she had a reaction to all three brands of paint and not just the DFX.
Unfortunately, no matter what brand of professional face paints you use, there is no guarantee that it won't cause an allergic reaction. It's unlikely, but there's still a chance. All you can do is make sure you keep using the best tools available and keep your station and your tools clean. Including a disclaimer on your website is also a good idea.
aniruam
aniruam

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Sat May 16, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks.  I see her again today and will see how she is doing.  

It just made me nervous because I know she has gotten painted elsewhere, such as Disney, with no breakouts.  Yet I have painted other kids with my paints (just not the DFX yet) without problems. pale
melissah1982
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja Sat May 16, 2015 6:38 am

You could always do a patch test on her arm with each brand. Just paint a little swatch and wait a bit. Wash it off and see what happens.

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 am

I actually did that last night. I still had my paints out and was practicing double dip flowers on my arm. She was sitting next to me and I asked if I could try her arm. No problems. I am thinking her face is just extremely sensitive.

So maybe I am being paranoid and maybe it is that she just has sensitive skin with her face. But that sucks because she loves me painting her and I hate that I can't practice on her. I mean, I could but I dont' want possible breakouts every time.

It's just weird. That's why I want to test on a few more kids. See if they have any problems.
melissah1982
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lilymokus Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 am

Hello!
I have also the same problem and I use "snazaroo" paints. I keep all my things clean but many kids have an allergic reaction of pimply on their face. Please give me an advice, should i change the paints? or kids should cream their face after washing the painting? or is the glitter?
some of them have allergic reaction after the first paint, some after more and some don't have at all.

lilymokus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 am

Sometimes the removal process can be the problem. Scrubbing or using baby wipes can irritate the skin. I recommend using baby shampoo for sensitive skin to remove face paint.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by lilymokus Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:48 pm

Ok ...Maybe parents use hand soap for washing the painting. i really didn't thought about it.Thank you very much!

lilymokus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 pm

How it's removed really does make a difference - this summer I painted my friend's girls and I cleaned them up afterwards using soap and water... no issues... I few days later I painted them again and this time she used some make-up remover wipe and the skin on the cheek of one of them broke out a bit.

Otherwise, have never heard of anyone having an issue.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:40 am

if it still happens after you try soap and water, snazaroo contains lanolin, maybe the person is allergic.

natural lanolin is from sheep's wool, there is also synthetic lanolin, and someone mentioned they think snazaroo contains the synthetic version, but apparently it also can cause a reaction.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Hey guys!  So I got to do some faces on my cousin last week using my DFX colors and not one issue.  I was so nervous and was glad that my cousin was fine with me painting her.  I made sure to tell her to wash with soap and water and not to scrub.  I got about 3-4 designs on her and she was a happy camper.  I really wonder if it was the washing or just a weird time for her face....

There was one thing I didn't think about and I am still trying to figure out it this was the culprit...the color I used for the monster mask was my own split of the DFX light blue and sea green.  I made the newbie mistake of not properly reading and didn't realize till after than the sea green says not to be used near the eyes...of course that was the color I put on her eyes (so ashamed!).

I have since used that color on her arm for a shark design (the blue/s green mix) and she mentioned a sensation on her arm.  I don't know it she meant a painful sensation or just the dry/tightening pain feel. She had no problem with the light blue, which I used in my rainbow split.   Either way, I have put that split away and will test it another time.

I also checked ALL my colors to ensure which colors were good/bad for the eye area.  Live and learn I guess.

Here are some pictures of my designs

This is the one that caused all the fuss:

Anyone have DFX trouble? <a href=Anyone have DFX trouble? Img_5510

Here are the ones I did last Friday:

Anyone have DFX trouble? <a href=Anyone have DFX trouble? Img_6510" />

Anyone have DFX trouble? Img_6512

Anyone have DFX trouble? <a href=Anyone have DFX trouble? Img_6513" />(Yes, I know this needs work, lol)" />
melissah1982
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:53 am

Cute designs--I really like the lst ne best, though!!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LucciPucci Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 pm

I have problems with the paints sometimes and I'm using Global. I'm not sure if it's a specific color, but sometimes it burns after painting, and once I got stinging sensations all over my body. I bought Global because it has less chemicals than the others. It hasn't stopped me from reacting though. I have my doubts about how healthy the paint is for us. The skin absorbs everything, but I try not to dwell on it, otherwise I won't be able to continue painting. I do wonder if some of us are the canary in the coal mine though...

LucciPucci

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

global and many other face paints contain acacia senegal gum (also called gum arabic), which is sap from the acacia tree - i.e. a plant-based compound that you might be allergic to.

global and other face paints also contain glycerin, another animal or plant byproduct, which can be allergenic. i came across some info saying global uses synthetic glycerin but couldn't find any info on whether that causes allergic reactions.

allergic reactions are most often caused by biological compounds, which is different from chemicals that might cause toxicity.  

you can thank your immune system for being the face paint police Suspect
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LucciPucci Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm

You are a wealth of info, jlirie. This is good to know. What's strange is that I don't react all the time. Some days worse than others. I'm guessing it's something to do with how strong my immune system is at the time of use. Thank you for your input.

LucciPucci

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 pm

sure thing. glad to hear it isn't all bad all the time Smile

do you react to other brands?

unfortunately, the major wax based brands all contain acacia senegal gum as well as glycerin (cameleon, dfx, kryvaline, tag, wolfe), also global, as mentioned, which is not wax based.

paradise does not have acacia gum, but has glycerin, cocoa butter, and many other plant extracts. fab does not have acacia gum, but does have glycerin and a lanolin compound.

ruby red does not have acacia gum but may contain glycerin. snazaroo does not have acacia gum or glycerin, but has lanolin.

hmm, seeing a pattern here, lol.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LucciPucci Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 am

I haven't tried other brands. Just have one TAG cake and haven't tested it on the skin by itself yet. I've looked at the ingredients of the other paints and while I might not react to them, I wouldn't want to have them in my kit.

LucciPucci

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down