Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSA found on Craigslist

4 posters

Go down

PSA found on Craigslist Empty PSA found on Craigslist

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Some times I do a search for 'Face Painting' on my local craigslist, see if there are any festivals, or other painters advertising this way. Today I found this page.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/vol/4495286777.html

Free Face Painting
PSA found on Craigslist 00A0A_71slsa4EOF6_600x450
PSA found on Craigslist 01717_k2K7XBNboFG_600x450
Just food for thought...

No contact info or anything, No idea who in my city posted it, and i tried back tracing the image and everything. It was posted about a month ago, a few days after this ad

VOLUNTEER for -Name here- Festival (-address-)

-Festival Name- NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Are you a skilled face painter? Want to show off your artistic skills?
Are you looking for a chance to volunteer?
This is a great opportunity to participate, show your work, have fun and make new friends!

This is a street festival featuring local musicians, performers and artisans on -address- on Sunday 15th June.
I look forward to seeing you there.

Now I of course think this is pretty funny, it kinda says what we are all thinking. But I still have mixed feelings about actually saying it.

I like the comparative ad that 'you get what you pay for'; though we have all seen that poor q-tip spider boy before I don't think I'd use his image quite like that... :/

But what really got me about this ad, was the 2nd image, out ling what you are really paying for. I don't know what to think about it. I mean I know it's true, but I also know I get asked all the time "so what's your real job?". I try to be patient because I get it that people really honestly don't understand, and couldn't fathom face painting being a full time thing. They don't understand what goes into it, and honestly people don't take it very seriously.

An interesting point is the poster of the first is anonymous. Seems they didn't want to have their name on it either, lest they be seen as 'rude' i suppose. 

So it's a good question to pose.

Are more PSA's like this needed to help people snap out of it, and realize the amount of work that goes into being a face painter, and ultimately take us more seriously?

Or is this a little rude/harsh for people who really don't 'get it', and we need to be more patient in explaining the facts?

Would you make something similar to the 1st or 2nd photo they posted? Would you also post it anonymously?

Discuss.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

PSA found on Craigslist Empty Re: PSA found on Craigslist

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 pm

JUST saw this on Facebook
PSA found on Craigslist 10426635_10152548596740127_7490062433431726812_n

Friend shared it from GigMasters Facebook Page LOL
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Spidey boy just looks sad doesn't he? That alone would make me not want the free painter.  I should just make a second business to paint for free and then just BOMB and plaster all the kiddies with ugly ponies and horrible black outlining Wink Maybe that will get the word out that you get what you pay for.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm

I would totally post that.
With my business name attached.
But then, I have gotten to the point that this is my standard answer to the "I can find someone cheaper" argument:

"I know you can find cheaper, but you won't find better. I understand not everyone has the budget to hire the best."

I almost always get those clients. They like my confidence.
And of course I don't mean the best in the world. I mean the best in the area. I tell them that my ratings and reviews, as well as my awards will stand behind my claim.
Everyone wants to look like they can afford the best.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:02 pm

I think the public will get educated one person at a time, as we politely and interestingly educate them during discussions. That said, a huge portion of the public will not get educated for the simple reason that not everyone cares!  Very Happy And, some people are not looking for quality but are looking for low prices or free. And the people who are looking for quality generally go looking for it. Etc. I am rambling here. But my general thoughts are that I will continue to patiently answer questions for anyone who asks about what goes into being a professional painter. I use any opportunity I get to warn people off of the "painting out of bottles" people, but I make sure to not sound militant about it. Most people have NO IDEA what goes into face painting, so if they bring their child to a freebie and people are painting with acrylics, they most probably won't even know to turn it down. But, if they have mentioned to me at my booth that my paints look "different" from what they've often seen (i.e. - I am using professional supplies), or that their child "broke out" from face painting in the past, and are now looking at my boards and wanting the artwork, and so they are inquiring of me if it is "safe", I use it as the proverbial teachable moment and tell them that most likely they had it done with acrylics in the past, etc.

I know I am still rambling. My head is foggy from overuse today! But I guess my point is, it is okay to educate the public. But not to sound mad about it. That first poster with the two boy photos sounds angry in the bottom part (as in, it was written by a frustrated face painter, and we ALL know that sense of frustration). However, it would go over better if written more nicely - the more flies with honey than with vinegar approach.

THere! THAT's what this rambler wanted to say, though it took me ten miles to get to the point! Peace ...

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum