Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

start with body painting

4 posters

Go down

start with body painting Empty start with body painting

Post by transformpaint Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi. I have nothing to share, but tthe body painting topic is the best to post this I think.
I really would learn to body paint, and I have some ideas what I would paint, but There are a few questions I think I should ask before.

1. How do you find people who feels comfortable with being painted (with and without underwear)?
2. About how much colours do you need for a normal body to paint?
3. Is it possible to rent airbrushes, and if it's possible, where can I do this? (I don't want to buy it only to see after a few days that it's nothing I like to do)
4. Are there different kind of airbrushes? Which one is the best?
5. Is it possible to body paint with sponges and brushes or do it take far to long time and tickle far to much.
6. Is there anyting more I need to know to begin with body painting?

It feels good to have a place where I can ask those questions Very Happy  and those I ask don't think I'm a pervert or anything like that.  scratch Mad 
transformpaint
transformpaint

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-02-28

http://transformpaint.webnode.se/

Back to top Go down

start with body painting Empty Re: start with body painting

Post by fesspenter Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Dear transformpaint:
You will find that as each face painter chimes in to answer your questions...we are each different. You will get different answers to the same question.

In order to find a model...I approach Model Mayhem. I also have approached dancers through other dancers who I already know, so they can vouch for me and my artistic, honourable intentions. The dancers are quite comfortable in their own body, and do not seem to be nervous about me painting them.
I buy them Lycra-based underwear. I once painted a model and she had her own cotton underwear. The cotton sucked up an extraordinary amount of paint. Four hours later, I noticed a wet painty splotch on a chair my model had recently vacated. She never complained about being uncomfortable in wet painty underwear. That is because she was a professional. I learned to always bring brand new Lycra- based underwear, devoid of bows, ruffles and ribbons, and one size larger than the model usually wears, to avoid "cutting in" panty lines.
There are nipple covers you can buy, should you need to purchase them. You can also use medical tape as a nipple cover.
I do not know of a place to rent an airbrush. Is there a place close to you that teaches airbrush classes and has their own equipment for you to use ? You can volunteer to be an assistant with a body painter to gain experience.
There are different kinds of airbrushes, single-action, and double action. There are internal mixing chambers and, external mixing chambers. There are top feed and bottom feed mounts. You have to ask airbrush artists around you which one they prefer.
I prefer my double-action, internal mixing, top gravity feed Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.

Yes! I began body painting with a brush and sponge. The brushes and sponges feel good on your skin. Not too ticklish.

There are different kinds of body paints, too. They are each a deeply personal choice. Try different paints.

When I have body painted, I have done a quick base coat, to allow the model to feel "clothed" in the paint. I do the "creases" last...backs of knees, bottom, inside of elbows, armpits. If the model is going to be wearing the paint outside, I prime the skin first, then seal it. I do not know what is available in your area.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by transformpaint Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks a lot. I think you have helped me much. The problem is that here in sweden body painting is not a big deal at all, and I live on a bad plae for that. The nearest face painter I know is about 400 kilometres away from me. Therefor I asked here.

But I will look around.
transformpaint
transformpaint

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 am

Is there a modelling school closer to you?
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I will offer my two cents and perspective....

1. How do you find people who feels comfortable with being painted (with and without underwear)?
Model Mayhem is where I go as well. BUT- also, any acting, danging, modeling, photography or weight lifting studios all can be resources as well.

2. About how much colours do you need for a normal body to paint? To give you an idea- One large Wolfe will probably cover someone head to toe with a bit left over. Air brush takes me about 4 ounces.

3. Is it possible to rent airbrushes... I don't know of any places, but if there is a hobby shop or model making club nearby, you might be able to go take a class or get some hands on work with an Airbrush before buying. There are some VERY inexpensive beginner airbrushes out there, and you can OFTEN find used ones for sale cheap.

4. Are there different kind of airbrushes? Which one is the best? MANY! Your mileage will vary. I like Iwata Eclipse and Talon top feed double action airbrushes and I shoot with CO2 as opposed to a compressor.

5. Is it possible to body paint with sponges and brushes or do it take far to long time and tickle far to much. YES. I seldom do all Airbrush as it is COLD for the model.

6. Is there anyting more I need to know to begin with body painting?

Take lots of breaks for you AND the model. COMMUNICATE and make sure you model is comfortable. Have some idea going in to things what you are going to paint, but be willing to adapt. If painting on guys, I usually have them shave or clipper trim body hair or it looks pretty bad. Have granolla bars (Sealed) and bottled water for your model in case they need a quick snack or drink. Glue down the waist of the underwear with Prosaide.
I always do hands and face LAST as it is less likely that one will come in contact with the other and smear things. If you are doing work for trade for pictures, make sure you, the model and photographer make it EXPLICIT and in writing BEFORE you meet, exactly what you will each get as part of the trade.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by transformpaint Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks.  Very Happy 

I don't really know any modelling schools around my place, but I will look for them.
transformpaint
transformpaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarieka Tue May 20, 2014 3:05 pm

To find models, I'd first ask your friends, also ask if they know anyone that would want to be painted.  Some people are comfortable with sections of their body, maybe even just paint a torso, leg or pregnant belly.  Besides model sites I've also seen people posting on Craigslist or in figure drawing/ art schools, studios for model exchange to build a portfolio.  Body painting shows / comic conventions are another good place to find models.

If they wear a bikini or panties, check to make sure they don't mind getting paint on them.  Sometimes they'll let you paint over them.  If you don't have pasties or nipple covers you can use medical tape.  

I paint bodies with brushes and sponges, and it seems to take the same time as the airbrush artists.

I agree with breaks and communicating.  Since it can take several hours I start with the top section, face and arms so the model can sit.  Then I move towards the legs saving the upper thighs and buttock for the end in case they need a restroom break.  Also allow the model to prop their arms or legs up on a support or chair so they don't have to hold it up too long on their own.  Even if the model moves or needs to use the restroom you can always touch up the paint.
Sarieka
Sarieka

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-05-20

http://www.sarieka.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum