Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL

+7
artyfacesbyluz
hotnails78
Affordable Face Magic
monna
rthling
Denise Cold
Jenn Doll
11 posters

Go down

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL Empty FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL

Post by Jenn Doll Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 am

I am really thinking about going... I've never been, or any other formal face painting training... But every year after the fact I always wish I went...Wink 

Who is going? Feedback from previous years? Is it worth the costs?Question 

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL Index

http://fabaic.com/newsite/index.php

Last edited by Jenn Doll on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cuz I can't spell... ;))
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-03-12

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Landen-Road-Designs/4471074784

Back to top Go down

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL Empty Re: FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL

Post by Denise Cold Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I haven't been to FABAIC before but I have been to other conferences and if you are looking for education...I would start with FABAtv first. It's only $30 per month and you can cancel for a bit if you are busy or it's the holidays or something and come back to it. It's up close and personal, no interruptions and you can watch the class over and over again. I would recommend anything from Mark Reid, Lynne Jamieson, Pashur House, Wolfe Brothers, Marcela Murad, Heather Green, Christina Davison, and there are some new instructors that I love Christy Lewis (one of our alumni) & Jenny Saunders that have fabulous classes on there. There's too many to list and there's even more fabulous instructors after you get through those....all for the cost of gas to one gig.

Conferences are great opportunities to meet fellow painters and party with like minded souls. You would see a lot of neat paintings and rub shoulders with the great instructors but I found education wise, you are in a room with a bunch of other painters. Some of them talk too much or slow the class down. FABAIC is trying to help with that by having tracks so that advanced students are all together and beginners don't have to feel dumb asking questions.

You are darling BTW... Smile
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks! I will have to check it out! I've never been an "online class" kinda gal, but the subject has never been something I like either! Lol!!

I just love all your designs and keep many for inspiration! Your boards have helped me for quick faces too!!

Thanks!! I just love being in the art...
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

I wanna go rub shoulders with some greats!
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 am

I am planning on going again in 2014. and yes, they have a payment plan for next year. great idea!. I went this year and it was great as usual.
We need to keep track of who is going. so we can meet each other... wear a pin or somethng. there are so many there and you don't know who is who form here.. maybe we can make a button or pin or something to wear. or a time to meet somewhere. It is well worth the money going. it is great!
monna
monna

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2012-07-05

https://www.facebook.com/nanamonnasfacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:59 pm

I live almost an Hr away from FABAIC & have gone for some part the last two years. I messaged w/Denise re:2013, but had a death in the family, so just went for a jam.
1- took Denise's suggestion & signed up for FABATV...WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG? I'M DOING MONTHLY. It's great to pause, rewind, revisit & even paint along.
2- 2011, I took a pre-day class w/Mark Reid. Small class, personal critique/help/suggestions...all day, w/lunch, too. It was the best!
3- There's a huge "jam" in a convention room each night. it's a huge learning experience. I'll never forget watching Lynn Jamison & Rebecca (Arty cakes).
4- across from the jam is the vendors hall. If you go early on the 1st night, bring a wish list & you'll find almost everything on sale. There will also be items you never dreamed you simply HAVE to have...careful!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL Empty Roommate for FABAIC 2014

Post by hotnails78 Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm thinking about going to the convention in may. Would anyone want to share a room with me?  A roommate would make the trip a little easier.
hotnails78
hotnails78

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 am

For educational purposes, Denise is all right, is even better to use FABAtv because you can pause and watch it as many times you want until you learn it, in a conference room you have to look at a screen that sometimes it is too bright that you can't see the colors, if you want to go along practicing you will miss a lot of information so it is almost the same as watch a video.
The cost: it is not only $400 for the convention, to get the best of it you better stay in the same hotel, the room is $100 night, the hotel is far away from everything so you need to get some friends with car that can ride around to look for restaurants other way you have to eat at the hotel where breakfast is $17 dollars and the cheapest meal you can get is $50 (they charge you 26% service fee).
In addition to what Denise said about to the social part, it is a dream come true to be there jamming (sometimes you learn more from the jams than in a class) at 1:00 in the morning painting and having a glass of wine but sometimes you are so tired that is so hard to keep up with classes when you go to bed too late.
For me the unbeatable benefit of being there is to have a HUGE store full of paint and supplies you never image and the prices are usually cheaper than getting them online and a lot of times you get free samples.
So I will do it again just for the shopping and the social part, and if I could take a cooler full of food for the week, will be perfect.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 am

Good advice Arty faces by Luz. Information like that is so helpful.

I was wondering how a person registered (to include hotel) and saved by sharing a room. if sharing with 3 other people, do you NOT choose the registration/hotel option? Do you locate a person who has already registered for the room and pay them? Was wondering how this works... never split room costs with anyone else before.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hotnails78 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm assuming one person registers with room and the other person just registers for the convention. I think it works out to 300 ea for the room.
hotnails78
hotnails78

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 pm

so, if registration is 959 for combined hotel & FABAIC registration and if FABAIC registration alone is 399, then 560 (HOTEL) would be the amount split 4 ways which would equal to $140 each for hotel price, OR do you split the 560 2 ways? = 280? so confused here..

Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

It is a fun place to be. you learn a lot and you meet lot of great people! classes, jams etc.
Silly Farm has a great payment plan. How that works ..if you do class and room... is you make payments. and whom ever you get to share a room..will pay you for the cost of the room...
yes, it is away from things..but... silly farm had a shuttle for FREE (although we tipped the driver). to take us to where ever we wanted... you signed up..to go out to eat..or pick up food for you room..shopping etc and they picked you up.. they were super great in this!
i agree.. the hotel food is WAY expensive and unnecessary! .. so glad i found out about the shuttle Marcela and them proved! They will help you in any way they can!
if you are looking for a room mate... get on a list with silly farm and they will help find you a room mate. and at this early in the game...you can talk with the person and see if you will get along.
yes you are worn out.. it is a convention. a face painting convention.. and a great one at that!
i don't think you would regret going.. unless you are one of those people that can not be pleased no matter how hard some one tries to please you. you will learn. you will experience.. and you will have fun!
i would go a day longer at least ...and if you can sign up for the pre class the day before.. i did and it was great. i was with mark reid and painting blue jeans.
i plan on going next year on Monday and come back on Labor Day... or tuesday after...
I am with an aunt from New Jersey and a cousin from Missouri .... we had a great time.
My Aunt an I have been one other time!

monna
monna

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2012-07-05

https://www.facebook.com/nanamonnasfacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:20 pm

I think I am going to jump in and do the monthly payments!! I am stoked to go! Who else is going?
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 am

Go for it Jenn! Last year was my 1st time and I can't wait to go again. If they did it twice a year, I would go. I enrolled in the payment plan a few months back so it won't be such an expense all at once.

The hotel is very nice and the staff were very nice. Like said above, the food there is high. However, we did use the shuttle provided by FABAIC and went to the grocery to get some room supplies and it worked out great.

I will tell you that I discovered that food is cheaper at the bar. It is in the hotel right across from the restaurant. My food was great and the atmosphere was ,too. They even had live music. Smile

For me, the pros outweighed the cons for the convention. I even jumped in on the competitions, didn't win,LOL but had so much fun just being in the room with so many amazing artists, the energy was so addictive.

Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Anyone bring the hubby with you? Mine is not a painter... will I ever see him? I thought I read that you can bring peeps to the Jams .... ??

Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Luvs to paint wrote:so, if registration is 959 for combined hotel & FABAIC registration and if  FABAIC registration alone is 399, then 560 (HOTEL) would be the amount split 4 ways which would equal to $140 each for hotel price, OR do you split the 560 2 ways?  = 280?   so confused here..

I wish I knew people better to split a room... anyone else kinda leery? Wink I was wondering how that all works too!
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

I sent my questions to the expert:
Conversation started Sunday
I hate to be the chick with 100 questions: but I guess this is the FABAIC Forum... I really want to attend the convention in May, I have a few questions that maybe you can help with? I have been face painting for about 3 years, this year it has really picked up and I am loving it! I would LOVE to come and take formal training... I just wing it as I go...  Any tips for a first timer at FABAIC??
1. If you share a room how do you do the registration? Any bad experiences with roomates?? I wish I knew someone before sharing a room...
2. Are there any scholarship opportunities? I saw the event in Nov. had a few "winners" of discounted registration...
3. If you register as a model, I see that gets you into the sessions... but are you a model for all of them? And how "dressed" are you? like I saw some people in bikinis?
4. If I were to bring my hubby with me, would be too busy to see him? Are guests allowed at any of the events? Or classes? Could he be my model?
5. Thank you for getting this far and taking a few moments to help me out!!!! MWAH!

Fabaic Marcela Murad

6:32pm

Fabaic Marcela Murad

Hi Jennifer,
Here are the answers to your questions...
1 - Any tips for a first timer at FABAIC??  
Yes, the first class on Thursday is an Orientation class. How everything works will be explained at that time. A group of volunteers we call "Good Ambassadors" are introduced at this time. These are people that attended the convention in the past and are willing and eager to hold your hand, show you around, help you decide on what classes to take and make you feel welcome.
2 - If you share a room how do you do the registration? Any bad experiences with roomates?? I wish I knew someone before sharing a room...
If you are on a payment plan and choose to pay for your hotel you must collect the cost of sharing your room yourself. If not, when you check in you will let them know that the room will be paid with with separate credit cards and upon check out they will figure the cost for each of your roommates. The forum is a perfect place to find a roommate and have plenty of time to get to know each other.  Biggest problem is snoring but we give earplugs in the goodie bag. One thing we lack at the FABAIC is sleep making the time in the room minimum. Yes, there's always a chance that someone you room with has a difficult personality but for the most everyone gets along very good.
3- Are there any scholarship opportunities? I saw the event in Nov. had a few "winners" of discounted registration...
Yes, we will announce the Brian School scholarship fund in a few days and explain how is going to work. There's discount on registrations when 5 or more people book together.
4 - f you register as a model, I see that gets you into the sessions... but are you a model for all of them? And how "dressed" are you? like I saw some people in bikinis?
Models discounted registrations are for BODY PAINT models only. You have to be comfortable with wearing pasties.
5- If I were to bring my hubby with me, would be too busy to see him? Are guests allowed at any of the events? Or classes? Could he be my model?
In the past husbands that attended the convention had more fun than anyone else and it brought couples closer together because at the end they better understood your passion. Guests are allowed at the jams for a fee of $10 and must buy ticket for banquet and other events for food is served. No one is allowed in the classes unless they have a full registration but he can volunteer to model. He can also volunteer to run the cameras (very easy) or other jobs in exchange for a registration. The hotel has 4 beautiful pools, a gym, golf course and a spa. He can make it a relaxing vacation. He can model for you during the jams.
Please feel fee to post any questions directly on the forum. We are here to help you in any way we can!
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Back to top Go down

FABAIC 2014 -May 21-25 in FLL Empty Roommate wanted

Post by DeannaB Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm

hotnails78 wrote:I'm thinking about going to the convention in may. Would anyone want to share a room with me?  A roommate would make the trip a little easier.

I've never attended before and would be flying in for the convention - I would love to find a roommate to share a room with. How much does this even cost overall? Does anyone know?

Deanna
DeannaB
DeannaB

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.darlingdesigns-fp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 am

I say forget FABATV and get yourself to a convention. If you are brand new 1-3 years or hit up a smaller like FPBAC and such conventions and then go to FABAIC or a larger event like WBPF. The smaller events are more intimate and less overwhelming. Big names have smaller class sizes and more time to help you and hang out with you. At big events classes can be standing room only sometimes and you most likely not get to hang out with the big named artists, and you can leave feeling or actually having not really met anyone. My two cents!
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down