Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memory aids

+6
fesspenter
ideascubed
anniel
l!zzie
shadnee
JennyNixe
10 posters

Go down

Memory aids Empty Memory aids

Post by JennyNixe Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:51 pm

A couple of years ago, I had a brain injury. I've adjusted pretty well now, but sometimes I just blank out and completely forget what I'm supposed to do next (this is not very fun in traffic, btw). Part of learning to cope has involved anticipating these moments and having instructions written or drawn out, even when I "should" know what I'm doing.

Does anyone do this for designs? I was thinking of having either a laminated page with the photo at the top and simple written instructions or laminating a photo with the instructions on the back. I'm also open to other ideas.

This was a hard question to ask, because I don't usually tell people about the injury. I don't want people to see me as "damaged". Most acquaintances can't tell, sometimes it just seems like I'm very distracted when I'm really trying to piece together what's going on. But I'm hoping that face painting will be a step back into the workplace for me, so I need to be honest and figure out how to deal with it.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
JennyNixe
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Memory aids Empty Re: Memory aids

Post by shadnee Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:24 am

I've kep picture that match the pictures on my board before to make sure I did it the same (b/c apparently a kid will notice the tiniest difference, or at least the kids I dealt with). I think if you have written instructions, I'd put them below the picture so you wouldn't have to keep flipping it back and forth. And I'm so sorry to hear about your injury, sounds like you're doing really well with it though!
shadnee
shadnee

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-03-27

https://facebook.com/facepaintfun

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:07 am

Wow, you're coping with this really good, aren't you?!
Must have been hard (and maybe still is) to find your way with this.
Lots of respect! And a big hug!

I think it's a great idea to make some aid-photo's! Nothing wrong with this.
I agree with Shadnee about the instructions written below!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 am

What about making a file on your phone for it? That's usually my go-to for references onsite.)
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ideascubed Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi I think you are doing awesome! Especially having been there, done that, still doing that, too, btw. Dr. daniel amen has great tips. I set my phone on a timer to check in with staying on task. I recently read an article on brain trauma describing a coma patient being given 20 grams of fish oil daily with incredible results.I have a book called brain integration that I am doing the exercises out of. Also in my arsenal, I take brain supplements, antioxidants like vitamin c, dmae, fish oil, coconut oil (good things with alzheimer pt). I try to stay hydrated. I am working on writing more things down because it makes connections in my brain. I hate writing things down. I try to stay rested because being too tired gets me in trouble.

Because of the memory thing, I am taking pix & making step by steps. Plus adding new neural pathways, a musical instrument and a foreign language. Some things I make rules about so I don't have to think. Muscle memory is a big deal. For example, keys have a home. I practiced a hundred times walking in the door and putting keys on a hook. Another hundred times putting my purse in its home. It wasn't fun at first, walking outside, unlocking the door, open the door, keys and purse in its home. But now it is second nature. And when I want to slack off, I remind myself the consequences and put the keys in its home no matter what. My hubby helped me with checklists and muscle memory how to keep track. I have laminated lists for trips, car (phone, keys, purse), my supplies, fp, airbrush, glitter tatz. We are building systems for everything, lists, laminating things. I feel frustrated at times, but hubby reminds me it is the systems we have in place that will keep us going as we age.

I hope this helps and every day it gets better and better. I laugh about a lot of brain glitches now.

ideascubed

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ideascubed Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Very Happy Oh and Jenny, some very talented people who have been face painting for a long time mention they forget things like whiskers, noses, ears. Remember what nick wolfe said, if you make a mistake on girls, add glitter. Boys, add blood. Lol

ideascubed

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I do not have a brain injury,
unless you count the concussion from being hit by a hockey puck.

I found my purse in the fridge, two years BEFORE I had the concussion.

I have no excuse.

Add glitter.
Add blood.

You will be fine.

xoxox
Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Animal Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

I don't use a photo-board. I have a book with plastic sleeves. I downloaded face outlines and print them on A4 sized paper. I paint faces on these templates, with my face paints.

Side note: did you know that the face paint actually paints really well on paper?

Anyway, this is great practice AND when the kid shows me their choice I am reminded of how I do the face. I'm not too worried if it's not exactly the same as the picture. It's most likely close enough and I obviously spend time making the pictures perfect where when I have big queues, the kids get a shortened version.

I don't know how to upload a photo of the template so if you're interested in seeing them, let me know and I'll email.

Party Animal
Party Animal

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-11-01

http://www.partyanimalperth.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and reassurance. I think I'm going to combine the painted paper with written instructions. It'll spare my kids and give me more practice. For some reason my memory for words is better than my memory for pictures. I found a template online.

You guys are such understanding people. I really appreciate it.
JennyNixe
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:46 pm

I work from a board, much like party animal described, but then I take a photo of the board, print it out, laminate it, and keep it right next to me at my work station. The kids all think it is just there for them to choose from (this is all I use at parties) but it is always in my line of sight to remind me what to do if I forget.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 pm

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t12991-i-volunteered-please-help#184523 lol I was just looking for the thread where you shared that template with me you dear girl! xoxoxo A Face Painting Mom has a really great board that should help you alot Jenny! Very Happy
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Yep, that is a picture of one of my older boards! I took that picture of the one with the painted faces, cropped it, then printed it out, laminated it, and I still use it when I just want one sheet of fast designs. It hangs at eye level right next the the child's face. I can take a peak at it every time I need to load a brush or sponge, no one is ever the wiser. Does not keep me from forgetting things sometimes...just yesterday, I sent a wolf off without fur between their ears. Oh well.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Jenny... do you do well with rythmic things, like poems or songs? If so, connect the steps in rhyme or tune.

If Physical cues help you, state the steps while you touch the card and trace them out.

This also invokes Neuroplasticity and CAN start getting your brain to re-wire itself so-to-speak.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down