Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where on earth to start????

+2
SuzySparkles
Kammy
6 posters

Go down

Where on earth to start???? Empty Where on earth to start????

Post by Kammy Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:41 am

So...I've decided that the Universe is conspiring to turn me into a children's entertainer. A couple of months ago, I just face-painted my little boy, but then got asked to do a couple of gigs out of the blue, which went very well.

Now, I've come into possession, via a mistake made by my usual face paint supplier, of a large-ish bag of Qualatex balloons. They were meant to send a split cake, which they've now mailed out today...but they told me to keep the balloons as an apology. I've decided the Universe is hinting that I need to give it a go.

Unfortunately though, I have NOT THE FOGGIEST idea where to start. Very Happy My little boy would like me to make him a sword and shield, apparently...but at the moment all I can make is a worm. A long, straight worm.

Could any of you recommend really good starting tutorials, designs or ideas? I'd be eversoeverso grateful.

An Amused and Bemused Kammy xx
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Where on earth to start???? Empty Re: Where on earth to start????

Post by SuzySparkles Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am

youtube Smile

just type, balloon sword and watch what comes up...
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 am

Well, obviously I did THAT much and Cian's now playing with a bright purple sword.... Very Happy It's just that I wondered if there are general places to start - youtube channels, books, websites - that are particularly useful for clueless newbies.

Sorry for being so green...I just don't like arguing with the Universe. It's even more fierce than Shannon. Wink
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by lady jynx Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:19 am

It is amazing all the things that can be made out of those balloons. I am not a twister but my guy is well amazing. I have picked up a few of the designs (I can make 3 types of sword) but mostly I just end up repairing them when kids get over excited and end up undoing parts of it. I do want to give a go at Parry's spiderman though. That was super cool. Now if I could just get him to blow me up a couple, or maybe it is time we invested in a pump. lol

lady jynx

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 am

They sell some great tutorial books, I like "The Klutz Book of Balloon Twisting" and I have also looked at "You Can Make $50,000/Year$ Twisting Balloons". I am considering it as well lol. Just don't want to be a clown, don't think I could pull that off.
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 am

Oh no, I couldn't be a clown - I don't have the skillset, and I have way too much respect for the art to insult it by trying. Very Happy

Thanks for the heads-up on the books. And I've seen Perry's Spider-Man, it's fabulous!
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Kammy I started about 9 weeks ago...watching you tube I have learned to do about 40 different balloons...I only do about 16 of them really fast...i just have to work on those right now for speed and then add 2 to 4 more a week till i get where i want to be for my restraunt gig...I do want to start doing more balloon bouquets and maybe get into doing the columns and arches...but not just yet...I have done some bouquets and have a order for 3 more mid Dec...

Good Luck on your serch ..I have fallen in love with twisting..as I think it will add so much to my already establised face painting business...I also do glitter tattoos...so I have 3 services that I can offer now...

keep twisting and painting..
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 am

I can make a guitar... and you can play it!

I also can make a worm, a snake, a sword, a sausage, a dog, a horse and the mystery animal (I start out trying to make, say, a dog... but it is a little "off" so I ask the kid what do YOU think it is? Whatever they say, I respond "WOW, that's right!!"

But I do not do them anymore as I can't grip or hold.

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm

shannon you are so funny...and amazing:heart:
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Kammy

Why don't you try Mr Fudge your balloon man on youtube. He's a bit fast with his delivery but his instructions are precise. The Happy Cabbie speaks slower but I find he's not as precise. He doesn't always say how much to blow the balloon up to.

Perry has recommended balloon-animals.com. I like the way he shows you the absolute basics. How to twist the balloon and how to hold a twist so that it doesn't untwist.

As you're in the UK you could join balloon chat.co.uk. It's a forum I've just joined. I'm still checking it out but it looks great.

I started twisting in the Spring but had to put everything on hold as I fell on my left shoulder at the beginning of Summer and that put me out of action for 3 months.

I barely managed to face paint. Started twisting again 2 weeks ago and I'm going through balloons like water.

I did my first face painting/balloon modelling party on Saturday. I spent hours practicing. I even managed to twist a balloon cake to give to the birthday boy so I looked as though I knew what I was doing. There were 22 kids. I twisted 18 swords and 4 flowers and the balloon cake was used as a weapon Exclamation

It was definitely a boys party.

sunny

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down