Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you rate a painter's skills?

+8
Judy
cassandra
JBax
Criss
colormyworld
Lady Jayde
LoneWolf
Metina
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How do you rate a painter's skills? - Page 3 Empty Re: How do you rate a painter's skills?

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 pm

But it was an informative ramble...

What you wrote makes sense and I find myself agreeing with you. I too would be skeptical about training anyone in my area who approached me for a one-on-one (as if!). The warning bells would go off, for certain. The way I see it, they would see making money (one day) and see the potential for themselves without thinking of ways to meet that potential without doing harm to my customer base.

I'm still mad at the clown though because she hurt my feelers. I was all enthusiastic and even told her what area I lived in so that she'd know that I wasn't planning on jumping on the turnpike every weekend to poach her business. She services all of NE Ohio, so I guess that she even wants the customers she has to drive an hour to work for...

Metina has given me a lead on someone who is actually IN my area and is willing to help me...so I'm crossing my digits.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

How do you rate a painter's skills? - Page 3 Empty Re: How do you rate a painter's skills?

Post by colormyworld Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:14 am

I can see it from both angles...I'm more along the lines of Jayde, where I am just really interested in learning and looking for any opportunity to do so. I have no interest in "stealing" business, or in duplicating other people's work...I like to look at it because it gives me something to go by, but even with the videos and step by steps I haven't exactly duplicated any designs...they all come out a bit different, which is how I want it. I figure when I get better I can make my own designs from scratch. And as far as taking people's work, I'm kind of dumb...I actually tell anyone who has inquired that "I'm just beginning, so I'm not very good yet." I'm actually very likely to recommend other people! Yeah I'm better at promoting others than myself because I constantly question my own capabilities. I've talked to a couple area painters too, but most are not interested in having a shadow...guess they like the one they already have. Maybe they think I'm trying to horn in or be "competition" but my mind is not focused on that...I honestly like getting to know people, and think people in this business tend to be fun and interesting! I've met Heather (from this forum) for coffee (mmmmm one of my other passions) and she is very cool and gave me some of her old Paradise that is still very good! BUt so far haven't met anyone who wants to "jam". But yeah I can see not wanting to give all the "secrets" away I guess, good point.

Good luck Jayde...that clown thing is funny...it reminds me of comedians who are really funny on stage and seem to have friendly personalities and then you talk to them and see they are miserable and angry at the world or something... or maybe more so, when I worked at Disney and would see (behind scenes) Mickey mouse with the head off, and it would be a middle-aged woman smoking a cigarette and swearing!

I hope it works out though with the new lead!!!!!!!!!! People are generally good I think, so I'm sure it will work out...if not with this one, then another.
colormyworld
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:49 am

some of you may want to consider checking if there is a clown alley in your area... many of them will also do face painting and the whole point of an alley is to share and teach eachother. They may have face painting jams occasionally and like to have you along. I think there are some lists of alleys on the COAI website.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:40 am

I'm kind of put off of the clowns at the moment...well the Ohio ones... They're mean.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:28 am

Lady Jayde wrote:

Metina has given me a lead on someone who is actually IN my area and is willing to help me...so I'm crossing my digits.

It does seem like the Midwest is where all the conventions look to Fly Over! If you are looking to organize a teach or get some people to be taught... post here. I'd be willing to drive to OH to get some skills. Or, maybe we move this to a new discussion... I don't have the time to organize (full time job, kids, chronic illness and all Smile ) but I have a suitable space available if you needed it, probably free, if you'd be willing to move the class to Indy.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

How do you rate a painter's skills? - Page 3 Empty FACE and clowns and internships!

Post by FairyDust Faces Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi Guys
Im sorry I don’t post much on this forum – it seems you have quite a bit goin’ on!

Ive a couple of things to add. First both Gary and Shannon will be in San Jose for possible FACE testing in a couple of weeks…is anyone interested in pursuing this? I am curious about this and if there are a few of us wonder if we could get some hints/tips/recommendations from Shannon about doing the testing (if its even possible) in San Jose.

Also; I must (unfortunately) concur with lady Jayde’s assessment of clowns. Clowns are the only face painters in my county and after a year + the majority of them have been less than welcoming, actually rather hard core….

And my last comment started going around in my brain after reading Shannons post about training people in her area…I used to be big in cake decorating and Duff from Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes) used to let folks intern at his bakery for a few weeks. People flew in from across the county and as he only had 2 spots they were much coveted. Shannon have you ever thought about doing something like that during your busy time (when you could use the help?) people would fly in and be in charge of their own room and board for a couple of weeks; work alongside of you, soak up your knowledge, help you out maybe get some advanced training in the evenings…there could be a certain level of skill required and this would obviously be for those who were committed to fast tracking their skills and business….
FairyDust Faces
FairyDust Faces

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-05

http://www.FairyDustFaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm always looking for helpers but it is usually for a weekend, or a three-week theatre run which consists of three nights and a matinee each week!! Actually, we have room to put people up in our home - we used to take in Home Stay students from the local college and are almost a B&B set-up.

Interesting idea... Maybe a relaxed summer camp with a festival gig at the end of the week...

Something to think about... Idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm

I want to go to the Fennell camp! How much is airfare to Alberta?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm sorry you guys have had such bad luck with the clowns in your area... I certainly can't speak for all of them. There are good and not-so-good people in all occupations. Most clown alleys are about sharing information with each other and bringing in trainers by pooling their resources... I know we're trying to start one here and we are more than willing to bring in other forms of children's entertainers.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by FairyDust Faces Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:53 pm

oh! Camp Fennell -- perfect!
FairyDust Faces
FairyDust Faces

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-05

http://www.FairyDustFaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Oh yeah... the brochure could read "Want to learn to face paint bears and wolves? No really... face paint ON bears and wolves?" Laughing

We could have BBQs on my huge deck and backyard... take a road trip to the Rockies... have close encounters with moose...

Will have to ponder this...

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Do we get the option of 'opting out' of the Moose encounter and the whole re-arranging the food chain thing?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 pm

if it was planned in advance, I'd come to Ohio too for a jam or classes! Very Happy
JBax wrote:
Lady Jayde wrote:

It does seem like the Midwest is where all the conventions look to Fly Over! If you are looking to organize a teach or get some people to be taught... post here. I'd be willing to drive to OH to get some skills. Or, maybe we move this to a new discussion... I don't have the time to organize (full time job, kids, chronic illness and all Smile ) but I have a suitable space available if you needed it, probably free, if you'd be willing to move the class to Indy.
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Lady Jayde wrote:Do we get the option of 'opting out' of the Moose encounter and the whole re-arranging the food chain thing?

Hmm... well the moose will depend on Bullwinkle anyway and you know how flaky he is. Rocky usually is running back and forth on the power lines in the back lane though.

Mom and I have been seriously discussing this idea... we'll see. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:52 am

Where can I sign up? =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 am

I need to save up!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by smitty225 Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

colormyworld wrote:that clown thing is funny...it reminds me of comedians who are really funny on stage and seem to have friendly personalities and then you talk to them and see they are miserable and angry at the world or something... or maybe more so, when I worked at Disney and would see (behind scenes) Mickey mouse with the head off, and it would be a middle-aged woman smoking a cigarette and swearing!

Hmm....my kids say that all facepainters are "weird." Me included. I hope I'm not in the "mad at the world" category.
smitty225
smitty225

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.merryfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3