Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deposits: Percentage vs. Flat rate

4 posters

Go down

Deposits: Percentage vs. Flat rate Empty Deposits: Percentage vs. Flat rate

Post by eviedejesus Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

I’m finally getting around to finalizing my “contract” and was wondering if a flat-rate deposit works better than asking for 30% (my initial inclination). I’m thinking some people might have a hard time (not that it’s hard) figuring out 30% of their total, especially if there are extra charges involved (like travel & canopy set-up fees).

Anyone have a problem with people paying the wrong amount for a deposit?

Also - I noticed some people have a clause in their contracts stating that if cancellation is within 48 hrs of event, the FULL amount is due. Anyone been successful collecting when dealing with a private party? I’m assuming you’d have to dismiss the travel & tent fees and legally may even have to prove that you turned work away for that date before you had a case for expecting payment without services.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Deposits: Percentage vs. Flat rate Empty Re: Deposits: Percentage vs. Flat rate

Post by Gretchen Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:05 pm

hmmmm...I've only recently started taking deposits, but unfortunately don't have a standard amount. I don't usually take a deposit if it's just me painting at a one hour birthday party. If I am sending another artist though whom I have to pay, then I require a deposit. This ensures that I'm not wasting my artist's time with someone not serious (recently I had to cancel a gig because the lady never paid the deposit and stopped all communication. Would have been really bad if I sent another artist and then never got paid and couldn't pay her!). So if I send another artist, I basically ask for whatever amount will be going to the artist in the end. That way even if they take a while to pay me the remaining balance, I can still pay my artist right away. When just I am painting, I only charge a deposit if it's a long drive...enough to cover my travel fees and some of my time should I make the drive there and find out the event is off or something. (so I'm not out my time/gas) I luckily haven't had to go after anyone for late payments, but at least with this method I feel like I'm covered in the meantime in case I do! As for them not being able to calculate it or paying the wrong amount...you should have the deposit amount written in your contract anyway so they know exactly what they owe you. Plus you can always send them a Paypal invoice for the amount too!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 pm

My deposit requirement is 50% or $150, whichever is LESS.

I don't require deposits for birthday parties if they are at residences, but do require a 50% deposit for parties held at third party venues.

For corporate and other events the deposit is $150. If they cancel I then at least have it in my hand to make up for the loss of business that day.

And deposits are non-refundable but may be applied to another date within the calendar year, based on availability.

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks Shannon - Have you ever been burned by a private party when a deposit was not required?
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Knock on wood.... no. I require payment in cash. And I still have a signed contract with them. If the parties are at their homes I know where they live, as they say! This is a small place and a lot of people I know from somewhere or know their guests, etc.

I have had an occasional cancellation due to extenuating circumstances but it doesn't cause me too much grief.

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I just charge a flat $50. deposit. Once they pay the deposit, I've never had a cancellation. I think it works well to insure that they don't keep checking out other face painters while you're holdng their date, then stiff you. They seem to commit once they send a deposit...I don't think it's the amount, I think it's just that they invested their money
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am

I just upped my deposit to a flat $50 also, from $25, which would irrk me at this point to have a cancelation and only net $25. I can book my Saturday over and over at this point, so I don't want to have empty hours on that day for so little, if someone leaves me high and dry.

I also heard at a business class (from a magicain...) that the larger your deposit, the larger your tip will be. He said that Mom pays the deposit, Dad writes the check, and if he thinks you are making less money for the whole gig, he is more likely to tip you more. We shall see.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for your feedback everyone.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus