Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Business plan? putting the whole thing together?

3 posters

Go down

Business plan? putting the whole thing together?  Empty Business plan? putting the whole thing together?

Post by HarvesterofPearls Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello, I am putting together a business plan together to show my professor about a face painting business. I am curious about:
-How much can I expect to earn (assuming I get hired) from tips or even paid gigs?
-Advertising ideas?
-Where in the process should I look into insurance or legal stuff?
- Average costs per month for paint? Supplies? (according to brand I would assume)

Any other advise for starting a face painting business would be nice also. Smile
Thank you~

HarvesterofPearls

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Business plan? putting the whole thing together?  Empty Re: Business plan? putting the whole thing together?

Post by Perry Noia Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:25 pm

It is very dependent on your area as far as rates go... every area is a little different, but it could be anywhere from $50-$150 per hour depending on location, skill level and the event situation. Tips are never something to count on or expect.

Advertising ideas are all over this forum, search through the marketing area and you'll find a plethora of ideas.

Insurance is definitely a good idea and not terribly expensive when you consider the possible cost of NOT having it if someone should try to put a claim against you. Where to look into that depends again on your location... in Canada, Clowns Canada has the most affordable option. In the USA, I believe most go through World Clown Association although I've also heard some using Specialty or something? You probably don't NEEEEEEED it right away, but it would be a good thing to keep in mind on a business plan anyway. The same with registering your business (unless your area requires it).

Costs per month are REALLY going to depend on how busy you are, what brand you use and your style of painting. I replace all of my paints maybe twice a year (at a cost of maybe $200 or so), but for some of the tackle tarts I love you on here, that's chump change. I hear plenty of them talking about hundreds OFTEN...

The income from this kind of business is going to be extremely low the first few years. Even when you start working every week (2 or 3 years into it), you'll still likely be lower than the average part time job with annual income. I'm not trying to frighten you away with all this, but it is far from a get rich quick thing... it's a labour of love in the beginning and usually starts out as a hobby.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Business plan? putting the whole thing together?  Empty Re: Business plan? putting the whole thing together?

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm not trying to frighten you away with all this, but it is far from a get rich quick thing... it's a labour of love in the beginning and usually starts out as a hobby.

This is so true, too many people have asked me why I've not earned much from it.
Quote "Paints are only £1 from the pound shop, and it's so easy to paint faces."
People saying that cause that angry eye twitch... Haha
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HarvesterofPearls Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm not trying to frighten you away with all this, but it is far from a get rich quick thing... it's a labour of love in the beginning and usually starts out as a hobby.

oh, I understand this. Smile My prof. asked me how much it would earn as a business so I added that question. haha
Smile

HarvesterofPearls

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 pm

I'll put it this way, in MY area and after 3 years of steady building as my ONLY income (as in I'm not even doing another job.. well ok, I'm a mom which is a job in itself.. but ..) I am now working almost every weekend, in the summer 4 to 8 gigs per weekend and my income last year after expenses was about $5000. I don't just face paint, I also do balloon twisting, stage shows and singing telegrams. It is hard work, there is never enough work and there is a big investment behind it in materials and TRAINING. I am spending $1000 this summer for (my third time at) Mooseburger Camp. This is strictly training and it is always ongoing... you can never be finished learning this stuff.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down