Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Eye designs?

+5
Janb
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Denise Cold
JUST
Anamootoo
9 posters

Go down

Help with Eye designs? Empty Help with Eye designs?

Post by Anamootoo Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

I am trying to work out some fairy-esque eye designs for a Library gig later this month, but it seems none of them feel very cohesive. Anyone care to offer feedback? I have this nasty habit of going too far... But when I hold back it seems incomplete. Here are a few I tried tonight. One that I think may have gone far and one that feels like it's lacking something.

Help with Eye designs? Anaeye2-1

Help with Eye designs? Reneeeye2

Thanks for any help you can offer. Smile

Anamootoo
Anamootoo

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Help with Eye designs? Empty Re: Help with Eye designs?

Post by JUST Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm

Your doing great it's very pretty ... cheers
JUST
JUST

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 pm

I think your skill is obviously there, everything looks great.

I think my only suggestion would be to use similar style flowers together. In the purple design you've got more of a tattoo style rose with soft two-tone blossoms so I would either make the centers of the blossoms black or maybe make small black flick twigs or black (or purple) leaves to tie them to the roses...or choose softer one-stroke technique for the rose with white highlights instead of black (or make a purple daisy instead of a rose if you don't feel comfortable with one stroke.)

On the butterfly I would put the cluster of flowers around the other eye or if you want to keep it all on one eye...just do a few blossoms (in odd numbers) and give them a few little lime or light green leaves.

Your blossoms are consistently nice though....jealous.

D.

Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 am

I think they look nice too! However, I do have to agree with Denise that the flowers in the first one do not go together. The intesitiy of the roses with the outlines jumps out while the smaller blooms fade into the backround of silver due to their lack of accent.

I would suggest a lighter purple on the roses and outlining them in the dark purple and instead of those smaller blossoms, try rosebuds; so that the blossoms match. I love the white dots, they really add a hint of delicacy to the design. If you want to keep the same flowers as you have there, have you thought about putting the gems at the centers of the blossoms to bring them out? Just food for thought. Overall though, I think it really is a nice design. Afterall, we ARE our toughest critics; I too am very guilty of this.

For the second one, all I can suggest is fewer blossoms and maybe putting a couple above the eye as well to add balance. Other than that, I think you're off to a great start, keep up the good work!
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:15 am

This is a learning process for me too. While I love both pics, Like you I kept thinking that something needed to be different with the top one. And I did notice that the small flowers on the forehead faded into the white base layer. I thought maybe put a pink base layer, but then, I love the white! And, the big purple flower just seemed too big or maybe it needed to be closer to the other 2 roses. I just got stumped myself, lol! But then with Denise and Punky to the rescue, it sounds great! And, you are very talented! When I start painting more and posting my pics, I'm sure that I will need lots of help~
Janb
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 am

BTW, YouTube has lots of face painting videos. My computer is too slow to for me to watch them (I think I need more power).
Janb
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 am

This is definately the place to come for help on a design or for critique. I've never seen anyone come out and say "that design sucks!" (Which it definately doesn't!). It's good to ask people for their opinions of your work. Fresh and unbiased eyes can really help if or when a design needs help. Smile

When I was starting out I had the same problem. You know, the "I don't think I"m done with this design yet..." then 5 minutes later you're saying "WHOA... this is way too busy!" or "WHOA...I should have stopped 5 minutes ago..." Sometimes you just have to put the brush down and go do something else for a few minutes and come back and look at the design. I still have this problem from time to time... especially when I'm coming up with stuff for competitions or challenges. It happens to everyone, so don't sweat it and be happy that there's a whole forum of people here to tell you to put the brush down or to keep goin' girl!
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamootoo Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 am

All wonderful suggestions. And now that you've mentioned it, I can see it too. lol Funny how that works, huh. lol

I need to get away from using black as my go-to liner... I haven't given myself permission to go anywhere else yet. And that explains why those roses look so bad next to those sweet little flowers. lol

Big Daisy instead of a rose. Leaves... LEAVES! there are no leaves. lol

I can see how beefing up the color in the smaller flowers and adding stones to the center might also make the roses work. My poor one-stroke roses look like 6 streaks of Hot Mess. Smile

Off to find pics of daisies and rosebuds. Thanks so much again for taking the time to critique. Smile Feeling more confident about trying again tomorrow. Smile
Anamootoo
Anamootoo

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 am

I couldn't work it out either until Denise pointed it out, I agree with her suggestion, you need something to tie the design together...

Other than that I love the work! Maybe add some little green flicks for leaves but that's totally up to you.

Very Happy
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 pm

I too am guilty of using black as my go-to liner; and it's not so bad unless the lines are too heavy. My brush that I use for my black linework is a size 0/5... smaller than a 0. But, outlining things in colors other than black, such as a darker shade of the same color can help add softness to a design. I am also working on that and it's almost painful because I've been painting this way for so long, lol. It just goes to show that we're always learning and improving, because you never can know EVERYTHING there is to know about art.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Awesome feedback Denise! VERY true! I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on the exact issue there.
Anamatoo... BEAUTIFUL work. No matter what you do, your kids will be absolutely thrilled. Everyone can improve, but your work is beautiful.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

My favorite one stroke rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyi-Y2ATjoA
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I agree with the others on everything but the jewels. I think they through the top design off more than the difference in flower styles. First in stylized groupings odd numbers are better than even for some unconscious reason it's more appealing to the eye. Also remember your focal points of the face corner of the eyes, top of nose, chin. Also I would have stuck with the same color gems. On the second one maybe 2 daisies on top 3 one bottom.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Wow Kat, that lady is a genius!
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Donna Dewberry? lol. Yeah... she's the one-stroke queen.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamootoo Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Okay, Playing while trying to cook so I don't have a face (I can't paint my arm well) and I didn't take the time to get a good consistency on the little flowers ( was about to burn dinner)... BUT I think it's a LOT better. A little more practice and playing with colors and I think I'll have something I'm proud of. Thanks All! Smile

Help with Eye designs? Redo1

Help with Eye designs? Redo2
Anamootoo
Anamootoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

That sunflower/daisy is gorgeous!! i LOVE it!!
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

What about black and white double-dip flowers. Would those be a little more cohesive with the roses?
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamootoo Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 pm

BekahCat wrote:Wow Kat, that lady is a genius!

This! Smile
Anamootoo
Anamootoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Anamootoo Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Kat's FacesForFun wrote:That sunflower/daisy is gorgeous!! i LOVE it!!

I love that you called it a Sunflower Daisy. I couldn't do either well so I combined them. More than one way to skin a cat, I suppose. Smile
Anamootoo
Anamootoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Looks great! And painting while cooking? I love it! Very Happy
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down