Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with starting out

+4
martha
Psalmbook
helena
paintedxpressions
8 posters

Go down

Help with starting out Empty Help with starting out

Post by paintedxpressions Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello!! I have a question for anyone who can help me. I am just starting out and would like to know what kind of paints I can use to practice more. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money (unless I just have to) in the begining because I am not getting paid. Thank you so much for any and all help you guys give me.

paintedxpressions

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Help with starting out Empty Re: Help with starting out

Post by helena Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Snazaroo is one of the cheaper face paints out there (at least that I'm aware of) that is still a good quality enough to practice and get a feeling of what 'real' face painting is like. In fact, I use snazaroo a lot for my 'actual' face painting too.

I've heard that some practice on paper or oil sheets/wax paper with watercolours too, tho' I haven't, so that might help? (Just be aware that painting on faces is very different in terms of texture and 'bumps' Smile )

I personally often draw out different designs on paper on simple basic faces I draw, just to see the placement of various items and if they'll work, or how to make the full face 'mask' work around eyes and mouth/nose.

It does cost money to practice with face paints, but it's a necessary part of getting better and receiving money for quality work done.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Practice w/ the paints you'll use. Different paints work & act differently & you won't know what works best for you without just using them. It's an investment into your business/art to practice. A small snazaroo pallet for base work & then some DiamondFX Black & White would be a very basic 1st start.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Agree with the above that face paints on skin is BEST. That being said, IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting down with paper and cheap craft paints or watercolors to teach yourself teardrops, swirls, C strokes, U strokes, S strokes, etc. The key is PRACTICE! You get your strokes and you can transfer that to working with your face paints without worrying too much about "wasting" them. Just keep in mind that practice with your paints isn't a waste, it's an investment in your talent!
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm

I paint with my paints, it is just part of the cost of doing business. Using snaz is different than using wolfe or paradise, so you really don't do yourself any favors by trading off. You may be using all of the brands for one thing or another, and will like one for some things, but not others, and will just need to learn how to manipulate the paints. Give yourself permission because your art calls for it.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuli* Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

If u don't want to spend $$$ since ur just starting off, snazaroo pellets. They're like $15 at the most:) @ Michaels. Or Amazon.
Tuli*
Tuli*

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2011-05-24

http://www.dazzlingfaces.org

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

I have to agree with Psalmbook, I am very new to this as well, but even I have learned that Paradise is SO different than say DFX and snaz. Practice with what you will use and if you don't know, buy a touch of all and find what you like. I thought I had to buy just ONE brand ha ha ha. I am so OCD. That is so not happening. Granted, I am not getting paid yet so I can be more lax. Smile
billiebcc
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

Now, I do doodle all the time w/ pen or pencil & sometimes those designs do end up on a face later, but that's different than practice. That's design construction.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:32 am

I started out with just a sample snazz kit and you can get that at any local craft store like A.C.Moores or Micheals, and that comes with about 6 colors and a brush and a little sample booklet but i would suggest to get diffrent brushes because the brush that comes with it is horrible lol. Good Luck!

HAPPY PAINTING!flower
AshleyMarie727
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 pm

I still use some snaz in my kit, I love the red and the turqouise, but they all work differently, so you really cannot practice well with one kind that is any cheeper than the rest and get a good idea of how it is going to go on when you switch to something else to paint "for real" because it won't be the same. i would get a little bit of everything, try it out, see what you like, and it may just take you a while, even years before you know for sure that you know exactly what you like best, but I would not skimp on your practice paints. So true Linda, doodling is different. I color on every napkin i get...always have a pen in my purse! I like what Marcela does, she colors on magazine faces!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down