Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 1st Order of FP Supplies

+5
Mirandas
Jantien's Art
MelodyFPL
DiamondDrea
Mika's Creations2
9 posters

Go down

My 1st Order of FP Supplies Empty My 1st Order of FP Supplies

Post by Mika's Creations2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've come to the point where I'm ready to invest in some a "starter" set of supplies that I will use to practice, build my "portfolio", and do any events that I may volunteer/be requested to do. I'm kinda intimidated by the HUGE AWESOME setups I saw in another thread but i guess we all started somewhere. So here's the list of supplies I plan on ordering.

Wolfe FX Neon/Metallic Pallet 12 Colors
2 Rainbow Cakes
2 Arty Cakes
1 Wolfe Red 30gm
1 Wolfe Ebony 30gm
1 Wolfe Black 30gm
1 Paradise White (Wolfe White is out of stock where I'm getting it)
1 One Stroke Flat Brush Set (includes 1 Scriptliner Brush, 1 #12 Flatbrush, and 3/4 Flat Brush)
3 #6 Round Brushes
2 #0 Round Brushes
2 #1 Round Brushes
White Fairy Dust (white glitter)
Brush Cleaner
10 High Density Sponges (can be cut in half to make 20)

Is that a good starter kit? Do you think I'm missing anything? Also what did everyone initially start out with when they got into the art?

Thank you.
sunny
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

My 1st Order of FP Supplies Empty Re: My 1st Order of FP Supplies

Post by DiamondDrea Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:05 pm

I think thats a good kit, only thing I would probably add is some round #4 brushes and a 1inch flat brush
DiamondDrea
DiamondDrea

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

in my personal opinion, #1 and #0 are not that different, and I only use them for the finest details. You can get away with using just one or the other. My advice, scratch the #0's and get #3 or 4's instead. You are getting a scriptliner in the brush kit anyway!

Also, a box of baby wipes!
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Awesome! Thank you. What did you 1st start out with?
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jantien's Art Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:33 pm

You don't realy need the brush cleaner if you use (aqua-)facepaint, b/c it's water based you can clean it with water and a little babyshampoo (johnson & johnson,) that's soft enough for cleaning brushes.(and rinse well)
Just wanted you to know you don't need to spend an extra buck for "special" brush cleaner, saves money for the pretty stuf you can buy!
Good luck with everything!
Take care, love jantien.

and I'm with the last post, take a 3 and 4, You get to use them more, and you can also make tiny lines with those!
Jantien's Art
Jantien's Art

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2011-04-08

http://www.jantiensart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:33 pm

thefacepaintlady wrote:in my personal opinion, #1 and #0 are not that different, and I only use them for the finest details. You can get away with using just one or the other. My advice, scratch the #0's and get #3 or 4's instead. You are getting a scriptliner in the brush kit anyway!

Thanx and honey...I got the baby wipes part on lock. I have an almost 3 year old so they're always around. I can get a case that lasts about 4 to 5 months for $10. Thank God he's practically potty trained now. cheers
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jantien's Art Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 pm

oh, and cottonswabs (think you call them Q-tips) to put "lipstick" on kiddies faces, each kid a new fresh swab...

Last edited by Jantien's Art on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jantien's Art
Jantien's Art

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Mika's FABA wrote:
thefacepaintlady wrote:in my personal opinion, #1 and #0 are not that different, and I only use them for the finest details. You can get away with using just one or the other. My advice, scratch the #0's and get #3 or 4's instead. You are getting a scriptliner in the brush kit anyway!

Thanx and honey...I got the baby wipes part on lock. I have an almost 3 year old so they're always around. I can get a case that lasts about 4 to 5 months for $10. Thank God he's practically potty trained now. cheers

Oh yes mama, I know how that goes. My 2 yaer old is on his way. Potty HELL!

Another person mentioned Q-tips to use on lips, very handy, then you dont have to dip your brushes in alcohol every time you paint a childs lips, and it "looks good" to the parent.

Definitely go with the #3 and 4 brushes... I think it was either Nick or Brian Wolfe who said the only brush he OWNS is a #3 round lol. You will never use a #0 and they are too hard to maintain.

Oh and Diamond nailed when she said a 1" flat brush! They are the perfect size for your one stroke and arty cakes. Try one, you will be loving life!

Dont forget your camera and a stack of photo realease forms so you can take pics for your portfolio! Good luck, I am so glad we can be there for you on you journey. Face painting is a wonderful world!!!
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Jantien's Art wrote:You don't realy need the brush cleaner if you use (aqua-)facepaint, b/c it's water based you can clean it with water and a little babyshampoo (johnson & johnson,) that's soft enough for cleaning brushes.(and rinse well)
Just wanted you to know you don't need to spend an extra buck for "special" brush cleaner, saves money for the pretty stuf you can buy!
Good luck with everything!
Take care, love jantien.

and I'm with the last post, take a 3 and 4, You get to use them more, and you can also make tiny lines with those!
I agree with you guys on that! And thanx for saving me the $8 for the cleaner I love you
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jantien's Art Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree with you guys on that! And thanx for saving me the $8 for the cleaner I love you

your welcome! Very Happy enjoy shopping! (read spending money) Shocked
Jantien's Art
Jantien's Art

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:32 pm

thefacepaintlady wrote:
Mika's FABA wrote:

Oh yes mama, I know how that goes. My 2 yaer old is on his way. Potty HELL!

Another person mentioned Q-tips to use on lips, very handy, then you dont have to dip your brushes in alcohol every time you paint a childs lips, and it "looks good" to the parent.

Definitely go with the #3 and 4 brushes... I think it was either Nick or Brian Wolfe who said the only brush he OWNS is a #3 round lol. You will never use a #0 and they are too hard to maintain.

Oh and Diamond nailed when she said a 1" flat brush! They are the perfect size for your one stroke and arty cakes. Try one, you will be loving life!

Dont forget your camera and a stack of photo realease forms so you can take pics for your portfolio! Good luck, I am so glad we can be there for you on you journey. Face painting is a wonderful world!!!
Photo release forms...got it...actually didn't think of it. And thank you for such a warm welcome! Smile
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Gold grip round brushes are awesome for their pointy tip #3, and #6
Paradise white is best for bases, don't be surprised if it doesn't work for line work...It sucks!
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I just accidentially started a new thread in which I told you to check the swap shop. Embarassed

I would skip both the 0's and 1's all together- or maybe just get one of the small size. as for round brushes- I use my #4's the most. I use my #6 for tiger lines and that's about it. I use way more 3/4 flat brushes than anything else because of all my different splits.

I don't think Paradise white is a good choice if you are getting all the rest Wolfe. I like Paradise paints, but it works so much differntly. Try Tag or DFX for you white instead- they behave a little more like what you are used to with the Wolfe.

When I started painting I had a handful of cut sponges that my partner gave me, a Paradise 8 color pallette (basic colors), some BonnieBell glitter from the cosmetic section, and a package of the blue handled craft brushes. That got me through till I could afford my next step: a full size Paradise 12 color pallette.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I agree with Sophie about the Paradise/Wolfe thing...I'd say especially if you're thinking of using it for line work, it's not at all the same. I tried a few times to use Paradise for line work, I just can't do it after being used to DFX and Wolfe. It's just doesn't give the desired effect I'm looking for. That being said I know a few people who use Paradise or Snaz for their line work and their stuff looks awesome...I just don't find that it works for me.
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I would agree with most of what everyone is saying. I would try to find some DFX or tag white if you can't find wolfe, but I love paradise for bases. I would suggest mostly #2 and #4 brushes, I use them the most, and a 1 inch flat. If I had to go down to only three, I would have a #2, #4 round and a 1 inch flat. Take a look at your hobby lobby or Micheals too, you can look at the brushes, and find some good ones there too, and you can use the coupons!

I would also suggest just plain old bar ivory soap. It is hands down the very cheapest and finest brush and sponge cleanser you will ever have! It takes all the stains out of my sponges!

Also, until you know what you will use the colors for, I would suggest getting the smaller sizes for everything but white and black. Snaz makes a decent red, and sometimes you can find this at hobby lobby and use the coupon...the red has a different consistency than the other snaz colors, so I would try it out for sure, and you just cannot beat the color for spiderman. You also might look at a some of the apetizer color packs, so that you get a blue, green, yellow, orange, and purple. If you don't have orange, you can't do a tiger (and for most gigs, you will want a regular tiger!) Diamond FX and wolfe both have decent appetizer pallets, but you can also get a wolfe pallet at Micheals, in the book section, Klutz has a face painting book that has a wolfe apetizer pallet, the book is 25 bucks, but if you take your coupon (I think you can even find a 50% off for this week!) then you can get the book and the wolfe paint for 12.50, which is a deal worth having! AND, you would have a small amount of wolfe white and black that would last you for line work (then use that paradise for your bases) If you go that way, I don't think you get a purple, so you might consider picking up something small (even a snaz at Micheals, they have the little ones with pink too...that would give you a full block of color to help you feel out the designs you want to have.

Have fun, we all started somewhere! It takes a while to know what you need in your kit, and what you will use...sometimes you surprize yourself!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Can I ask what you are planning to use all that ebony on?
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Geekophile wrote:Can I ask what you are planning to use all that ebony on?

I was wondering that myself.
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 pm

It IS a really neat color- definately on my wish list in the appatizer size (because I eventually want to have ALL the colors ever!) I think Orange would be better choice for a full size cake. OR one of the 50 gm two color splits. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I don't use my neons much as individual colors. I use the neon rainbow a lot though. Just a thought that you could swap out the neon pallette for a neon rainbow cake.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 am

I am not really sure what suggestions to add but I can share with you the paints I started with and still use regularly.....

Snazaroo:
Black
White
Sparkle Pink
Red
Turquoise
Lime Green
Orange

Tag:
Black and White

DFX (or could be TAG) Metallic Palette

White Iridescent Glitter

Snazaroo packs of brushes (#0 and #2(more like a 4) round and a small flat brush)

A couple of filbert #12 and #14 brushes

Sponges

I would probably add a rose split cake, dolphin, leaf and dragon and a 3/4 inch brush.....

Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 am

Geekophile wrote:Can I ask what you are planning to use all that ebony on?
ummm...I don't really know. I figured I would use it for puppy and monkey faces. And as for the tigers . I planned on using the one rainbow cake, Face Magic Fantasia, from Silly Farm. I envision using it for fire, dragons, red roses, hibiscus flowers etc. The other rainbow cake i plan on getting is, Face Magic Mystique. I see that I can use that for leaves, snakes, dinosaurs, frogs, water, and dolphins. But I do agree the orange will be a more used color than the ebony. I also expect to be painting faces on kids and parents with darker skin tones because that's the majority population where I am. I felt that the neon colors would pop more on darker skin and still look nice on lighter complexions.
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 am

Geekophile wrote:It IS a really neat color- definately on my wish list in the appatizer size (because I eventually want to have ALL the colors ever!) I think Orange would be better choice for a full size cake. OR one of the 50 gm two color splits. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I don't use my neons much as individual colors. I use the neon rainbow a lot though. Just a thought that you could swap out the neon palette for a neon rainbow cake.
I like that idea. If i don't get the neon palette that's a free $40 i can use to get a couple rainbow cakes that would probably have those colors and more. Thank you! Great suggestion. I love you ...Not to mention it will be easier to load my flat brushes in the rainbow cakes vs the small square paints in the palette.
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down