Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order

+4
monelle
jlirie
fesspenter
LittleMonsters
8 posters

Go down

Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order Empty Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order

Post by LittleMonsters Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:21 am

Hey everyone!  I also need some advice on an order and would appreciate suggestions of what you think I absolutely need or what you can't live without.

This is what I have purchased far:

PAINT:
DFX 12 colors Essential Palette
DFX 30g Rainbow One-Stroke
DFX 10g Metallic Gold
DFX 10g Metallic Silver
DFX 10g Metallic Blue
Tulip 18g Megallic Silver (x2)
Tulip 18g Blue
Tulip 18g Green
Tulip 18g Red
(I don't really use the Tulip paint though...)

BRUSHES:
1x 1" AP Wash Brush
1x AP #10 Filbert
2x AP #6 Round
1x AP #2 Round
1x #3 Round (from essentials kit)
1x AP #1 Liner (splitting...)
1x AP #4 Script Liner
+ a couple fan brushes I was thinking of cutting into butterfly brushes and some Artist's Loft brushes I don't really use other than a couple to dry drag colors

MISC:
12x Snazaroo 1/2 circle sponges
100 ml Spray Bottle
2x Tulip 7ml Body Adhesive
A bunch of tattoo glitter (Gold, Silver, White, Black, Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple) and 4pk of glitter brushes

Thinking of ordering:
DFX 32g White
DFX 32g Black
DFX 50g Rainbow blending cake
TAG 50g Tiger Rainbow blending cake
TAG 50g Fairy Garden blending cake (or could do Snowflake)
TAG 50g Fairy Floss blending cake (maybe)
TAG 30g Leaf Yellow One-stroke
TAG 30g Dolphin One-stroke
TAG 30g Rose One-stroke
TAG 30g Flame One-stroke (maybe)
1oz Iridescent Pearl White w/ Poofer Bottle
Loew Cornell Gold Grip #2,3,4?
BAMS Stencils... looked at 1001, 1037, 1038

I looked at buying single colors to cut up to make my 50g blending cakes... but it doesn't seem like I'd be saving any money.  For example TAG 50g Orange/Yellow and TAG 50 Red/White would cost $23.98 but TAG 50g Tiger Rainbow and DFX 50g Rainbow also costs $23.98 (if I was making the rainbow, the above 2 splits would give me 3 colors toward this).

However, I would save money (based on the amount of paint) making my own One-strokes as shown below:

ROSE: Red, Pink, White 10.99
LEAF YELLOW: Green, Light Green, Yellow 10.99
FLAME: Red, Orange Yellow 10.99
DOLPHIN: Purple, Blue, Powder Blue, White 11.99

120g COST: 44.96

Required:
2x Red
2x Yellow
2x White
1x Pink
1x Purple
1x Blue
1x Powder Blue
1x Green
1x Light Green
1x Orange

TAG 50g Royal Blue/Powder Blue 10.99
TAG 50g Green/Light Green 10.99
TAG 50g Orange/Yellow 10.99
TAG 50g Red/White 12.99
TAG 50g Pink/Purple 12.99
4x Empty 1-Stroke Container 4 (1.25)

250g COST: 63.95 (this would also allow me to save 10.99 from my above order by making a 50g rainbow cake)

TLDR: I need suggestions! ^_^
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order Empty Re: Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order

Post by fesspenter Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:44 am

Dear LittleMonsters:
Where in Canada are you from?

The advantage to ordering the 2 colour 50g TAG cakes is that you have twice as many colours in your kit, and if you blend those two colours together, you will create a third colour, as well as owning a Base Blender cake.
My three most frequently used base blenders between me and my team was, in this order:
EllaBlu (homemade rainbow cake in homage to one of my team members, Ella) DFX Metallic Blue/FAB Ziva Blue Shimmer/Lt. Teal/Cameleon Metallic White

TAG Neon Carnival (Neon Blue/Neon Yellow/Neon Magenta)

TAG Fairy Floss

Loew & Cornell Gold Grip #3 and #4 are my work horses for line work. As soon as I receive them... I coat the space between the ferrule and haft of the handle with clear nail polish. I then put black polka dots, or white polka dots on them to designate those brushes for that colour. I never have greyish black, or greyish white paint.

BAM stencils: 1035 gets worn out every year because we use it so much.
Our various reptile/python BAMs get used for Ninja turtles. Our team consistently chose the one with the smallest pattern (also good for giraffe patterns!).

I buy the single 50g colours to use in creating base blenders. I buy when there is a sale on. I love the Face Paint Forum Shop. I have them sent to my family in Detroit and bring them back with me when I go to visit. I declare them at the border, and avoid all the shipping and duties to Canada.

I realize that I have just confused the issue of "What to Buy" for you. That means my job is done, here.

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order Empty Re: Need Help Choosing Supplies to Order

Post by LittleMonsters Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks Lisa!  Looks like I'm currently living south of you in Hamilton, ON, lol.  Although I would love to have a collection of the 2 color 50g TAG cakes (seems very practical) I'm really only starting out and I have an issue with accepting money from people so I don't know if I'll be able to keep this going, lol... That combined with being a Preschool Teacher which has consumed many an evening and weekend... heck, last week I only got 8 hours of sleep combined over THREE nights just trying to get things done...

All that being said, I looked at purchasing the 50g TAG cakes to make into the one-strokes because I can basically pay the same amount of money for 30g or 50g of paint.  Also, by buying the 2 color 50g cakes instead of the single colors, I'm not left with so much access, ie: buying 5 2 color cakes instead of 10 single color cakes.

How often are there sales?
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:22 pm

beware the tulip colors, they reportedly stain like crazy. tulip silver is good, though, i got some based on recommendations here on the forum.

Last edited by jlirie on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Why don't you team up with kingsmeadmama to place an order? She and I are going to Face Paint University from Sept. 21-25 in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

I wish I had known you were in Hamilton!!! I have had a few jobs in the Oakville & Burlington areas lately.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:49 am

jlirie wrote:beware the tulip colors, they reportedly stain like crazy. tulip silver is good, though, i got some based on recommendations here on the forum.

Yeah, I had purchased them from Michael's when they were on clearance for $2.50 each... at the time it was REALLY hard to find any kind of review on them, but I thought at that price I had to buy some to try out... Other than the silver, I've really only tried a couple brush strokes on my arm when I bought all my paints to check for staining - after removing with soap and water I didn't have any problems but I have heard about staining being an issue (actually I may have done a captain america with the blue and a spiderman with the red but I can't say for certain).  I was happy with the silver so I did buy a 2nd one.

@fesspenter, Face Paint University sounds like fun!  Not sure when I'll be putting in my order (I want everything NOW!) but I don't think I'm ready just yet.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:13 pm

The one 1-stroke cake I could not do without, even though it's not my personal favorite, is TAG Unicorn (it seems to be called Neon Unicorn now). I would say that given a choice of rainbows, approximately 95% of little girls (if that's who you're painting) choose that one. It's unbelievable. They are different ages, different heights, and from different places, but that is their number one favorite by far. Go figure.
monelle
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Anyone else have any suggestions? Smile
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 pm

The one split cake (and subsequent color equal onestroke that I made for myself, called Sunset Rose) that I ALWAYS end up using, regardless of party theme, is Havana Sunset (purple, neon pink, orange, yellow)

Something about that color combo is just soooo popular and perfect for everything from butterflies to tigers to roses.
Snickell
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:20 am

What did you end up doing? I am a newbie so I am always interested in what people buy for their kits.

If you did buy the solid color cakes--show us your finished product after slicing and dicing them!
Very Happy
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Little monsters, you made an excellent choice of products!
monelle
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:10 am

Don't you love Fessie?--she covers a subject so very well!

My two cents:
I'm most fond of the new "always wicked" sponges--they are nearly as soft to the touch as the Fantasy--but have more firmness/body to them.

The stencils I tend to use the most are 1002, 1004, 1035. (and daubers for using them...)

I gave up on liner brushes, I destroy them too easily.

Glue is something you'll want to have enough of to last until spring, when it can be shipped without chance of it freezing--which destroys it. I have not used Tulip glue, but have heard raves @ other brands in comparison.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:29 am

@Snickell, thanks for the Havana Sunset, I've seen that one used quite a bit so I'll likely pick that one up as well.

@amylady222, I didn't put in my order yet, but I likely will this weekend. I was initially thinking of buying the 50g 2 color splits, but I might just buy the 50g singles to make my one-strokes and rainbows cakes and potentially have left overs to make 2 color splits as well. I'll certainly post pics when they're done Smile

@anniel, I'm looking at buying Half naughty word Stencil Set-5002 but those 3 you mentioned are certainly ones I should order as well.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Mellygee911 Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:30 pm

If you place a big enough order, there's actually a sale on right now!

https://www.facebook.com/FacePaintForumShop

I'm in Kitchener, and usually make monthly trips across the border to a PO box, so feel free to check with me anytime if you happen to need a pickup, and would be willing to venture Kitchener way!
Mellygee911
Mellygee911

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2014-02-12

http://Www.busybeesparties.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks Mellygee911. I spent a while putting things together but now that the shop is out of 50g TAG yellow (and orange/yellow) that really put a damper on my plans Sad
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum