Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pearls vs. Metallics?

+3
Gretchen
summers4seasons
Smiletime
7 posters

Go down

Pearls vs. Metallics? Empty Pearls vs. Metallics?

Post by Smiletime Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 pm

I see some brands have pearl and some have metallic. Are they the same? What do you prefer and why? I am looking to make a purchase and need some guidance.

Thanks!
Smiletime
Smiletime

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.depacesfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Pearls vs. Metallics? Empty Re: Pearls vs. Metallics?

Post by summers4seasons Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes it's the same. I LOVE Tag pearls. Have heard that paradise/Snaz pearls are a little sheer.
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I use and also sell Kryolan's version of both paints on my website...the "Interferenz" paints are what you'd call the "pearlescent" ones. The interferenz paints seem to go on more similarly to the regular colors, but metallics tend to need more water to go on with good coverage. The metallic paints are almost flaky in their consistency as they get dry, and they dry out quick. Usually when I go to use my silver, which is the only "metallic" one I really keep on my regular tray for gigs, I usually have to squirt a little water in it and stir it up a bit to get a good consistency to paint with. But, it's much more shiny, not so pearly, if that makes sense!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:06 pm

I think the DFX metallics are more intense or concentrated in color compared to the other "pearls" which makes them great for line work as well as bases. For lighter coverage or a less intense look you just need to use a drier sponge. Best of both worlds to me, plus the colors are really really pretty.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm

I love my Wolfe metallic colors. They go on smoothly as long as you have enough water (a little more than the essential colors), and they are beautiful. I definately suggest buying the metallic white because you can mix any regular color with that to make it a little softer and give it a little shine Smile Happy buying Smile
HappyVickery
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Ok I started with paradise metalics - bleh..... BUT ( and It's a BIG but...lol)
the gold and silver with the Merhon metallic powders added on top are unbeatable for real looking silver and gold.

The rest of the colours I use TAG pearls - they are awesome... after buying purple, green, blue and pink I find myself not wanting to use any other colours at all.
I still use Paradise cheery bomb red which is metalic.... but I don't like it much... it's not sheer but it's a bit browny/orangey and not a nice blue based red... still haven't found a really good metalic red for my ironman.... if someone has one let me know!

I wouldn't recommend DFX after their debacle - they are a dodgy company... and I wouldn't recommend Wolfe mainly because of staining.

I have come to use Paradise and TAG after a lot of trial and error - so hopefully this helps you.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 am

Tag is nice!

Metallics do need more brush working and I tend to have to keep adding water to it during a gig.

CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down