Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hand tremors

+12
mably
smallchange
elantaura
1HappyNut
Rae
martha
a face painting mom
Noella
CottonKandyClown
anniel
summers4seasons
srbolton
16 posters

Go down

hand tremors Empty hand tremors

Post by srbolton Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:07 pm

This might seem a bit off topic, but for me it is directly on topic because I could use some advice in how to keep this from effecting my painting so much. I have been wondering if this is something anyone else deals with. I have fibromyalgia and one of the things that I deal with that effects my painting is these hand tremors. There are two kinds that effect me, and they are kinetic tremors- which basically cause the tremor when you are trying to make a voluntary motion, like writing or pressing a button- and postural tremors, which can cause a tremor when you have held out a hand (or any other extremity) against gravity for a period of time (such as with your arm extended out in front of you). As you can imagine, these can both really get in the way when I am painting. I was just curious if anyone else has a similar condition and might have any pointers for me as to how to control it a bit easier. I already stay completely away from caffiene and any other stimulants- so that isn't a factor.
Anyway, if anyone has any pointers, I am all ears! What a Face or rather... eyes
srbolton
srbolton

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

hand tremors Empty Re: hand tremors

Post by summers4seasons Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

The only suggestion I have is using your pinkie as a brace and keep your elbow on your waist. It helps me when I get shaky.

Good luck!!
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Have you seen a naturopath? There may be a nutritional support that would help?
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm sure that being new to the face painting world doesn't help! Smile

I just use my pinky to anchor my hand. I tend to get shaking the first face or two, but after that, I'm good. Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't get kinetic (although my fine motor skills can go out the window when I'm tired or stressed) but I get postural after about 5 mins working (and sometimes I stop being able to lift my arm at all). I got a chair for me to sit in that has arms, and a fold down table that rests in front of me as part of one of the arms. Children sit in the chair in front of me (just a folding chair or stool works fine) then put their arms on my table - I can rest my elbow on the table and reach their face or arm or whatever I'm painting and they are in the right place (as well as my arm has support)...
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Noella, that is really interesting, can you post a picture of your table and chair?

I don't have a tremor, but one of my daughters does. She takes a very, very, very small dose of proponolol (it is a blood pressure medication, I think) and it helps her with the fine motor issues she has when her hands shake. I don't know if that would help you or not, her diagnosis is autistic spectrum.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Day to day life I'm a nurse and what you are describing sounds remarkably like a condition called "essential tremors". The medical establishment isn't quite sure what causes them anymore than they can pinpoint fibromyalgia.
There are some drug modalities out there but you might first try strength traing in your upper extremities, getting plenty of sleep, staying warm (cold=increased tremors), B12 and B complex vitamins, and avoid grilled foods (the charcoal isn't good for nervous system) as well as avoiding smoking and artificial sweeteners other than Splenda or Truvia (aspartame binds to chemo receptors in your brain and can lead to everything from seizures to early onset dementia). Hope the info helps but you can get tons more online by searching "essential tremors". Prayers for you.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm

For me my issue is MS.... "tired" means I've been sitting up (not laying down) - and I've got a host of other things that are worse than a few shakes I can just work around....

I took a picture of my chair one day in the backyard - I didn't set up my product just my stand and chair etc to show how I have my setup....

hand tremors Stuffoutsideback

Hope this helps someone else to work within their abilities!

Last edited by Noella on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duh - linked to the image not embedded it)
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Noella, I took a look at your set up and think it is awesome. Uncle has ALS. He has been unable to speak and in a wheelchair for years but he "danced" at his daughter's wedding. Life is about what you CAN do not what you can't.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't have any condition... that I know of : ) but I do struggle with a shaky hand. I cannot for the life of me ge the hang of the anchor pinky!!!! Tried and tried and just isn't happening. I'm right handed. I sometimes hold my right hand at my writst with my left hand if the shakes are over the top. I recently tried a new set up with my directors chair that helped with no back aches and also had a bonus assist with the shakes. I used my hubbys old drumming stool (which is height adjustable and swivels) to sit on in front of (just off to the side) of the directors chair. The stool allowed me to be right up close to the directors chair and I sometimes used the directors chair arm rest to rest my elbow on when the shakes struck. The advantage of perching in front of a directors chair instead of just a normal chair, is I can stand up if I feel like it or if a taller child or adult is in the chair.

Sorry that was a bit long winded, but this worked great for me. Might have looked a bit strange, but oh well.
Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 am

I too have FM. I don't get the shakes you describe, so I'm not much help. But it sucks, and I hope when you solve it, you share so that we can all celebrate with you.
Hugs and good luck wishes being sent your way.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 am

I have ADHD so do two of my children. which is a technically hyperkinetic disorder to with malfunctions/anomalies within the central nervous system- I say this as I don't understand fibromyalgia but I think it is a cental nervous system disorder too.
Now I drink a large coffee before I face paint. and find I only get the shakes mabye on the first two. The reason is the same reason that some adults and kids (one of mine) are on stimulants is that in order to calm the body and allow stillness, we have to speed up our somewhat sluggish connections in the central nervous system. it is why they belive Stimulants work with 80% of ADHD. (but there is much debate that I don't wish to engage in not the point) The point is I used to get the shakes. then I started on coffee idea, now I get it about the first two. Then I am OK and I drink one again at about an hour and a half. I only write this as you say you are not taking anything - mabye a coffee is worth a try at least once? If it dose work dont forget to put the coffee in a thermos for later, to avoid brush in coffee trick.
also I know I have a comorbid anxiety so I have to stop at child two take a big breath and relax, not focus on the line, don't look at the clock/watch and be in the moment, not the impending moments/people to come.
It helps alot with me. the fatigue one I don't get so can't help with Focused hyperactivity - has is advantages in face painting LOL but I have a week knee so when I know it will be a long sesion I take panadol also before I paint, and wear a brace under my pants.
I have no idea of how your condition works if coffee is agrivating etc, I understand mine spent years in counselling etc to be unmedicated, have a normal life, stop being so impulsive, anxious. But coffee and taking a deep breath is simple for me.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 am

Love your set up Noella, and I have that chair! They are comfy. Trying to visualize how the kids lean on the table, I like that idea that they have something to lean on. I have them sit forward for me, but many of them still fiddle with their hands.
I also love what you did to your tool box!

I have wanted something that swivels, a drum stool is genious...If I could swivle the kid...hmmmm. I am going to start looking at the resale shops, I bet there are some that pop up there!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

hand tremors Empty Hand tremors

Post by smallchange Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 am

I too have many neurological issues as a result of "Late Stage Chronic Lyme Disease" and am on permanent disability. Most of the face painting I do, is for fundraising events for my daughter's cheer squad & church. Sadly,I am very limited in the time I can dedicate to what I love doing most and have to turn down jobs frequently!

I have both of the tremors that you mentioned as well as an ocasional jerk reflex which is really irriatating!! As with your Fibro, fatigue & pain are major issues that I deal with in a daily basis. If my Lyme is "flared" I have a really hard time functioning, not to mention face painting. In saying all this, I HAVE to SIT VERY CLOSE to the person I'm painting, & frequently stretch my hands. If I extend my arms too far the tremors are more likely to happen. I also start out the day just prior to the start of an event with "paint doodling" swirls and lines to get the jitters & tremors relaxed a bit. I have never noticed a problem with caffiene but if I'm overly tired or didn't sleep well the night before, you can guarantee tremors.

Sorry, I wish I had more helpful suggestions to offer. If you find a great chair set-up that helps you, please post details!! So thankful to realize there are others out there like me who paint. It is so frustrating to be a "sickie" lol!

I wish you good health days,
Penny

smallchange
smallchange

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mably Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 am

I have fibro too and would love to know where you got that chair. I don't get shaky but my back takes the brunt of long painting days!

Mary

mably

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-05

http://www.facefantastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:47 am

The table I mentioned isn't my shelves - that's where I store my stuff - the table is attached to the chair and it folds out across where I'm sitting - like in a lecture hall. You can see it in the picture in the down position.

It is a "deck chair" from the camping section - I got it at Canadian Tire - the table makes it perfect for them to lean forward and practically be in my lap (as well as give my arms support), but because of the table there is still enough separation they aren't leaning on me (my nerve issues give me huge flares of pain if anyone touches me).

Boy I sound like a real basket case.... really I'm not, I just have to make things work for me... would you believe I took up makeup because I couldn't do what I used to do before MS?
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Noella It is good to see you found somthing to take up with MS it in itself is inspiring. I have a friends mother with MS she is now only at home. If I have learnt anything from disabitys of any sort is that those who are the happyest are the ones that make things/life work for them. but whenever you try to explain it to others it seems to sound potty- dosn't mean it is. usually it is well thought out. but whenever I try to explain things to others I get that your nuts look. It is great you have found a way, that works and that you can share it with others. Very Happy
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by srbolton Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:39 pm

wow- what a response. Yes, pain and fatigue are truly the two most pervasive issues that I have had to learn to work around. I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions and support, and although I am not happy that anyone has to face this condition it is good to know I'm not the only one here dealing with it. That helps me to have a little bit of hope as to whether I might be able to keep doing this or not.
I love painting, and I hate when some stupid issue with my body gets in the way!
Noella, I get you on the pain (allodynia) flare ups- I get similar flare ups with FM and my husband hates it because I can't stand to be touched. You don't sound like a 'basket case' at all- you just have some challenges to cope with. I agree that it is quite inspiring.
Thanks again to everyone- I love this forum!
srbolton
srbolton

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Would holding wrist w/ your non-painting hand help steady your painting hand? I do this sometimes & it helps.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 pm

This post is helpful to me because it shows me that I am not alone with this fibromyalgia issue. I deal with the shakiness also, haven't quite come up with the right way to deal with it myself either. What I hate the most about it as far as painting goes is that I get excited and nervous before a gig and nerves/excitement for me = headaches, fatigue, and extra muscle and joint pain. It doesn't matter what event or thing going on in my life that I get anxious or excited for, it seems like I will have a migraine and/or other fm flare-up. I have just come to expect it. I'm sure if I were going on a wonderful cruise or vacation, I would spend the majority of it in pain due to fm. I really hate fibromyalgia and I can relate to all of you who have it also, as well as other medical conditions you deal with on a daily basis.
fluttersby
fluttersby

Number of posts : 361

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

For you fellow FM'ers out there... Look up on the Internet the links between FM and celiac disease. Not to say that you have it! But just saying that trying a gluten-free diet (no wheat/rye/barley or derivative) might help with the symptoms. If you have an intolerance, or an auto-immune reaction/celiac disease it is supposed to make the FM symptoms much less frequent and intense, and exacerbate them otherwise.
I have FM and celiac. I am not far enough into my gluten-free journey to say with any certainty that it definitely helps. But as with most debilitating issues, it might be worth looking into. Of course, you'd want to start by discussing any major dietary changes with your doctor and maybe even get tested for celiac if you think you might have it. It's certainly not as rare as many people/doctors think. It just isn't often tested for and many doctors dot even know/much about it. If anyone wants to know more, you are more than welcome to PM me. I'm no expert but I'll share what I can.
Good luck with it all.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Sorry for any spelling errors...frantically typing on my phone at work while on a very short break!
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky1249 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Must be something in the water. I have FM too, at least they can't figure out what else it could be. I have to take painkillers to function. I had tremors when I was on Cymbalta, but when I went off that, they went away. Some days my hands are just steadier than others. Sending good thoughts your way....
Pinky1249
Pinky1249

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Have you tried acupunture? it helps a lot!!!
vivi_o7
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down