Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties?

+8
Gamezgirl
makin faces by synni
Psalmbook
Daizy
Lynnie
Geekophile
Taradoodles
AUSSIE3070
12 posters

Go down

Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties? Empty Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties?

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 am

Hi Everyone

I was wondering what everyone thought of this: If your child is going to another child's birthday party (say from their school or kindergarten for example) is it ok to paint your own child's face to go to the party?

I know for most of us we have to convince or bribe our children to allow us to paint them, but if it's to "look all pretty and princessy/fairy" as is the case for my daughter, she's all for it.

My head can justify it in so many ways -
- why not? It's a 'marketing opportunity'
- why not? If a Mum was an amazing dressmaker (instead of a FP) would she have to buy a stock-standard dress from the shops like the rest of us so that their child doesn't look 'better' or 'stand out' from the birthday girl/boy?
- why not? they know that you face paint and could hire you if they wanted to, so why should my child miss out, and why should I miss out on my rare chance to practice on a real face!

. . . . on THE OTHER HAND . . my heart just says "NO!" No "It's just wrong!" . . . and that's what I went with yesterday and today when my 5yo had 2 birthday parties to go to.

I thought to myself, it is unfair for the birthday girl/boy because the attention should be for that birthday child for that one day. I would feel awful if I upset the birthday girl/boy on their special day... Imagine that, picture it - my daughter rocks up looking all glam and the birthday girl bursts into tears because they want face painting too! cry, cry, cry....oh, how awful I would feel! pale That poor little girl's heart broken on her special day! so, that is how I came to my decision.

.... what do you think? What have you done in the past and what were the consequences if any?

I would love to hear! Thanks
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties? Empty Re: Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties?

Post by Taradoodles Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:26 am

I havent gotten to that age yet, but I would gift face painting to the birthday child before the party if they wanted. If it was a small party, Id gift them painting for all, but Im saying that because I still dont have hardly any painting events. =0(

I paint LB as a kitty cat every day almost, no matter where we are headed. Its like sending your child in a fav costume to a party that they wont take off. I wouldnt be upset if a child arrived dressed better than LB, Id be like OOOO where did that come from? I want one! lol

but then again, my child is 2 so no 'real' experience yet. this is my thoughts on the subject now.
Taradoodles
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties? Empty Re: Do you paint your own child's face when they go to birthday parties?

Post by Geekophile Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:40 am

I think it would be fine, but unless you intend to paint the birthday child as well, don't go all out with it. A little butterfly or tiny tiara is fine- but not full face or mega bling.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 am

I wouldn't, at least not without talking to the parent hosting the party first.

Your child isn't missing out because they can be painted any time.

Some people can't afford to hire in entertainment. I never could. When my son was smaller I was a single parent scraping by. I wouldn't have been able to afford what I charge now.

I think it will just cause hard feelings not only between the kids but also with the parents. As much as you view it as a marketing moment, the parents are seeing that as precious memories and celebration for THEIR child. If they have to explain why they can't afford a face painter, it ruins it. If your child gets more attention than the birthday child, it ruins it. If the birthday child is in tears because s/he isn't painted, it ruins it.
This is their time, not yours, and honestly I can see many people taking it badly which could very much effect your business in a negative way as well. Keep in mind, all it takes is one ticked off parent and the internet/word of mouth in your community and your biz is over before it started.

A dress isn't nearly as unique or flashy or noticeable as face paint so to me that is apples to oranges.

In the end I feel it's presumptuous and stepping on toes to just send a child painted.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:49 am

Unless it was an all out costume party I wouldn't do it.

A custume party, everyone is dressed up, often other parents have painted their own kids faces (very basic) and I don't know how to dress up my children without face paint anymore Wink

A regular party, no I wouldn't. It is the birthday childs day, it doesn't seem fair if someone else has their face painted and not them.
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 am

My child would never let me do it Very Happy

This said, I wouldn't paint my child before a party. They're just a guest & it would take away from the birthday child's special day. I might show up w/ paints if the parents were ok w/ it & give face painting as a gift.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

yeah i agree with the rest. unless it is a dress up party or you are going to be a guest as well as a face painter. then i wouldn't paint my own child.
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 pm

I agree that it would be in poor taste...good for you for deciding not to do it! Smile
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:47 pm

Awhile ago, I was at a gig, and my little one was with me. I had her face painted for the gig, and my mother-in-law called and asked if she could take her to a birthday party for a friend's son. I said sure because I thought it was way to hot for my little one to be outside for the rest of the day. I did't wash her face before she went (she had a rainbow with butterflies on her cheek and forehead). To tell you the truth, I didn't even think about it. No one at the party minded, It was a small party at the local park for a two year old. I don't think their were many kids there, but all the adults loved her face, and asked my Mother-in-law about my work. If I was attending the party, I wouldn't have had her painted.

I know I've had kids come to my daugher's party that were painted at other parties, and since we had face painting at ours too it didn't matter, but had there not been face painting, I think the children would have been sad they didn't go to the other party.
HappyVickery
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm

It's hard to break out of business mode, but there are times when "marketing" just isn't appropriate, and being a guest at a party is definitely one of those times. silent

Thoughtful question! Definitely things we need to consider as party entertainers.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:05 pm

I paint my daughter when we do parties and it is usually something balloon related or just pretty and festive, but then she is my twister. If I am sporting a design she usually will too. Doesn't detract or deter from anyone else. They usually want what she has.

This is really the only time she will wear something, she's not into getting painted by me for fun anymore. She is more focused on getting better with her own painting
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 am

Yep, unless it's a costume party(then go all out!).

2 weeks ago, I did a party for my 4 yr sons preschool friend He came along as a party guest, and was the only kid NOT face painted! Little booger just doesn't care for it any more.
Griffinblue
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks everyone!

Lynnie - I agree, that's why I didn't paint my 5yo's face

Daizy - I quote " . . . and I don't know how to dress up my children without face paint anymore" . . . . you are too funny!

Gamezgirt - thank you for the support and for acknowledging my decision to 'do the right thing'

Angie - Thanks for the supportive comments regarding the question being raised. much appreciated.

Thanks again evryone, I was very curious to hear what others thought and really am very grateful for your replies! xo I love you
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down