Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters!

4 posters

Go down

I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters! Empty I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters!

Post by Cherylk Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 am

Could some of you let me know what it is I need to get started in this business paper-work wise? A lot of the information I'm finding is for American face painters. I know I have to register my company name unless I'm just using my actual name, and I know I have to have insurance... but beyond that, I'm a little lost! I know that I don't have to have a gst number, so that's a good thing!

Do I need to have a business license? Is there anything else I should look into? Is there a resource out there for this kind of information? It's all a little overwhelming.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Cherylk

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters! Empty Re: I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters!

Post by Perry Noia Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 am

You are not required to register your business unless you are making over... I can't remember something like $30 000/yr? Most of us won't even come close. You can go here for some more information http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_business/index.htm

it's been a little while since I did it, but I have registered 2 separate businesses in the past... didn't really need to and it's a pain in the butt to cancel the business license if it doesn't work out.

You WILL probably want to look into insurance if you feel that it is getting somewhere significant. I haven't gotten insurance yet, but probably will soon. I've only been clowning for less than a year right now and it does seem to be working out alright for me, so it's time to get a little more serious about that side of things.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters! Empty Re: I could use some advice from Canadian Face Painters!

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 am

Check your city or municipality regarding the business license as it varies. Some don't require you to have one as you do not have a "premises" others might consider you a "home based business."

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1081945275631&pagename=CBSC_FE/display&c=GuideFactSheet is a Feasibility Checklist for Starting a Small Business that is really useful. This link also has masses of information for Canadian small business owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks for the tips, guys! I thought I had to register my business name no matter how much I made.. I was reading the government site and they were saying something like getting a fine if you don't.. I'll have to re-read that. I find they're not clear at all!

It would be great if I didn't have to do any of that right now. Just one less thing to worry about.

Cherylk

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:01 am

I was told by my dad (a retired accountant) and a few other people that I didn't really need to register my home businesses, but you can ask them at the office where they do the business registrations... they will give you accurate information, they certainly aren't on commission or anything. There are times where certain events want your business number for one reason or another, but it isn't often.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 am

I've had clients ask for a certificate of insurance but NEVER for a business license.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:47 pm

I've did a charity event once that wanted everyone's GST number I think it was? I was doing Baby Signs at the time, so there wasn't any need for me to have insurance for being there.

I do plan on getting insurance soon though... has anyone found anything cheaper than the policy offered through Clowns Canada?
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Nope. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I contacted several accountants, including H&R Block, about business info and they helped alot. They made everything clear.

As for insurance, i currently don't have any but have been trying to find some for cheap. I got one quote, from the place I get my house and car insurance from, and they said the cheapest they could find was $6000/yr. That was last fall, yuck!

I was wondering about the insurance from CAFABA? Shannon I know your a member there, do you know what their insurance is like?
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I am a member of Clowns Canada and get my insurance through them and it is the best price I know of.

I am not a member of CAFABA... but they do have insurance too, and it is priced close to Clowns Canada's.

My understanding based on the information I have read is that the two policies are actually pretty similar.

Clowns Canada has been around for quite a number of years though... CAFABA just started up a couple years back and the insurance only came out last year I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Whoops, sorry Shannon I thought you were Smile
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 pm

No need to apologize. Very Happy

I've been a member of Clowns Canada for seven years I think now.

The last quote I got for insurance before I was able to get on the Clowns Canada policy was about $4000/year because they considered airbrush make-up "Excessive Risk"....!!!! So I had to find something else fast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm

$4000-$6000 a year! Holy cow! That's insane! I was talking to a facepainter in Quebec, and she said the best deal she was able find was through her bank (RBC, I think she said). I'm still looking, too!

Cherylk

Back to top Go down

Post by ladysinaz Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 am

Geez 4-6K
ouf
I have insurance for Airbrush tattoos and Henna (i liked when they were checking it out that they were knowledgeable enough to ask me if i did black henna) Can't imagine adding face and body painting should make much of a difference
I get it through my state farm insurance that i have my cars and home insurance through.. less than $400 a year
ladysinaz
ladysinaz

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2012-08-11

http://www.maguscorium.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down