Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy???

+5
cattsy
tamarielpaints
HappyVickery
Tash
CABBYJ
9 posters

Go down

Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy??? Empty Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy???

Post by CABBYJ Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm

How much do you guys spend monthy/yearly on paint? I ask because I'm spending more money on paint this year, but I'm also working more this year Very Happy However, I do wonder if I'm spending too much. I've started buying more 90G cakes of my main colors, but I'm still ordering paint every other week. On average I do 2-3 gigs per week, mainly face painting at corporate function 2-3 hours each. Any advice or insight is always appreciated! Very Happy

P.S. My kit is still a work in process (can't afford to buy the hottest new thing Embarassed ). I tend to stick to DFX/Snaz and get the basic colors. I've started buying more neons & metallics lately. I love you
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy??? Empty Re: Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy???

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm

You are buying every other week... wow, that seem excessive even to me. Are you actually USING that much up in a two week period... (sorry, my question mark is not working, nor is the apostrophe) or just hoarding (like me Laughing )

I had to rein myself in several years ago as I was just buying paint that I was not actually using. Now I only buy when I have no other options available (as in NO alternative white in another brand on hand) OR it is a completely reimbursable expense OR I barter and trade.

Face paints should actually last a reasonable amount of time (except Paradise Rolling Eyes )

Back to top Go down

Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy??? Empty Re: Another expense control question - how much paint do you buy???

Post by Tash Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

ok......
agreeing to disagree about the paradise - as mine last ages and I go through Tag twice as fast.... but......... I do agree that you shouldn't be buying more then once every two months or so.... with the exception of perhaps rainbow splits as they get used a lot - so I buy a few at a time and black and white.

I also try to diversify - if you see something is running low try to subsitute something else or combine it to make it go further.
I use the money I make towards my household so I can't be buying up all the stuff I see and would like to own. But over time I have managed to get quite a collection together and I have to buy less and less because I have more choice of things to use.
*** I just bought $130 worth of Tag pearls and splits and felt really bad about it like I had really splashed out... even though I have earned over $3000 in the last month and a half.
I find it really hard to justify buying something for myself if it's not really needed.

Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

If you are building up your kit, I can see why you are making orders every few weeks. . .as in as you get the money for paints, you buy them. But if you are having to reorder the same supplies you already have every two weeks, that seems like your going through paint very quickly. I only have a couple of colors in paradise so I'm not sure how fast it goes. I do seem to have to get a couple new rainbow cakes/arty cakes about the same time I have to get new white and black, but the solid colors last MUCH longer.
HappyVickery
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 pm

When I first started out, I had a certain budget that I envisioned for ALL startup costs (website, brushes, bag, insurance, paint, business cards).

So the question is, WHY are you ordering so much paint? Are you running out? Did you start out buying only sample sizes? Are you ordering 1 color/cake at a time? Did you buy things that you need to swap out b/c you hated the product? Or is it a case of 'me WANT PRETTY SHINY PAINT OOOOO!!!

If it's 1-3 you learn too order two of certain colors, or how long it'll be before your rainbow cake is empty, etc. Also you discover that shipping costs = the bane of everyone's existance. If it's 'I hated this' swap it. One man's 'junk' is another's treasure. Is it a case of 'gimme gimme gimme'? That's something you alone can judge.

Here's my story: when I bought things and then went 'nope, don't like this' ex, detailz, certain brushes, certain sponges, etc, I either swapped, made due anyway, or bought only 1 pack of sponges at a time until i found a brand i liked.
Other times I went: 'you ninny, you should have bought a BIG container of this color' (ex, I bought 30 g white/black and blew through them in a month and a half, bought a tiny 'refill size' snaz black which made like 15 batmans before being almost empty, bought a tiny poofer of white irridescent glitter. It lasted through 5 princess parties). I tried arty cakes, bought a few, then decided, 'i HATE these containers!' (I swapped those and splurged on TAG). I bought paradise, had an allergic reaction, and said 'whoops!' (swapped those too).

Now that I'm 'set up' I know what I use. I sometimes get creative on colors for when I'm running low, but I know what I need to order in bulk/when I need to order. Things that I hated/reacted too/etc, I've swapped, traded, etc.
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm still in the "Building my kit" stage too :p

I started off with small paradise palettes though, and I'm slowly replacing those with bigger pots as I run out, along with adding a few "extras" like liquid bling and glitter. Haven't found anything I hated yet, but despite that I've made three sizable paint orders in the last 8-10 weeks totalling over $300 (Yikes, that's the first time I've added that up, wowza)

I have made around $550 in that same time period though... so I guess that's ok, I'm defenitely breaking even Smile which was my goal.

The others have asked some good questions, is it a case of replenishing, where you're using what you've got and ordering only what you need, or have you bought alot of new stuff "to try" that hasn't panned out.

If your using it, loving it and making money with it, then all is good and your purchasing *should* taper off Smile

Trina
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 am

I normally do one BIG order at the beginning of summer busy season. Then a 2-3 smaller orders during the summer to replenish.. I don't normally buy stuff during the winter months unless there is an amazing deal on something or I want to try something new.
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 am

I love this forum so much! Very Happy Seeing your responses helped me think and analyze my issue!

First issue is I need to buy larger cakes of the colors I use a lot of especially pink. I was still testing products and always start out with the smaller cakes.

Second issue, I'm a noob & had my July expenses in the same file as my June expenses. Embarassed

Third issue - Arty cakes, somehow I use those things up ridiculously fast, so I've started making my own. Those are lasting longer, but of course you need more paint to make them silent !

Here is a quick capture as to what I've ordered since March:
3/29 - 45G Wolfe white - Gone
6/6 - 30G Neon Pink - gone
6/6 - 30G Lt. Blue
6/6 - 30G Neon Orange - gone
6/22 - 30G Black - gone
6/22 - 30G Neon green - gone
6/28 - 45G Blue
6/28 - 45G Lt. Green - replenished neon green
6/28 - 45G White - haven't touched it yet, combined some old paints to make another 45G cake
6/28 - 30G Neon magenta - replenished neon pink
6/28 - 8ml Red - replinish
7/12 - 90G Black - replinish

Analysis, I need to buy larger cakes of popular colors to reduce shipping charges and order frequency. I'm still building my kit but I still need to control expenses and consider want vs. need!

What do you guys think based on my purchase history?

CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 am

What you have purchased is to me the basics... White, black, red and the Neons of course (because once those are in use you can't go back Laughing Laughing ) and you like to use blues (who doesn't)

So, I think you have figured it out yourself - buy larger sizes and in more quantity in your most popular essential colours, and try not to order more than a couple times a year - typically before your summer season starts, and again before your winter busy season (or whenever you get busy).

If you run out of one of the other colours - wait until you do your order. Use a substitute or just not have it until then. I know it is hard to wait but it will help keep your overall shipping etc. down to a minimum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 pm

holy guacamole!! I buy paints once a year!!
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Perry Noia wrote:holy guacamole!! I buy paints once a year!!

You really know how awesome you are, don't you? lol
Cracking me up made my day! =0)

I placed one order, and about to place another once I get figured out what exactly I want. My snaz palettes from Michael's are FINALLY running out! Annoying little things but they got the job done. Im still building my kit and experimenting to. I try to remember that you can paint anything with the basic colors, arty cakes help and the neons' pearls' and metallics' are all extra colors that add pop and fun. Boy, its true! Once you try neons there is no going back. I find myself using it the most because of how bright it is. I still cant figure out how wolfe only paints with 12 paints. its incredible.

wow. I was incredibly UNHELPFUL in my response. good luck!
Taradoodles
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Out of curiosity what did you use 30gs of Neon green for?
You used it up in a month on what?
I have Paradise light green, lime, amazon green and dark green, and Tag 30g pearl green and a 1 stroke Tag green snake cake...... hmmm didn't realise I had that much green until I wrote it down hahahahaha
I was going to say that I only use green for flower leaves and vines and the occasional snake... which had me wondering how you used so much green in a month.. but now I can see why I never run out...
but I still want to know what you are using the NEON green for.
Please.

Can't forget my manners Wink
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 pm

I use the green for my 2 face/hulk and for single eye dragons. I also do space cat, although I only recall doing a few of thOse.
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I order wholesale if possible--like big orders the beginning of summer & in September (before the Halloween rush, since I do actors for a local haunt). It's a major, but the you're done! If you can't/don't want to do it alone--go in with someone(s). Save's stress & then you can add new stuff individually if you'd like.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Where do u get wholesale paint from?
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 pm

wowfactorstuff.com. Requires a hefty commitment per product line, but worth it, I think!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down