Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phone Etiquette

+5
Lynnie
Perry Noia
tamarielpaints
Bec
CABBYJ
9 posters

Go down

Phone Etiquette Empty Phone Etiquette

Post by CABBYJ Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked before. But I really need some advice on screening clients, answering price shoppers and closing the "sale". I just don't think my phone procedure is good. Typically how do you handle your calls?
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Phone Etiquette Empty Re: Phone Etiquette

Post by Bec Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 am

HA! So funny you asked this. I just posted a facebook status saying I needed a secretary who's good at answering phones because I'm unsure about my professionalism. And of course my kids always lose their minds AS SOON as the phone rings. lol

I have practiced with my husband. Make him act like he's calling me as a client who knows nothing. That was really helpful, just answering questions. You can also have a list at the ready with a list of FAQ's that you can reference. So you aren't "ummm"ing.

I ALWAYS tell the clients on the phone (even if I KNOW they are just price shopping) that I will email them a contract to look over, it's at least an extra step toward them going with you. Also, before we get off the phone, I ask if they want me to hold the date for 7 days, because weekends (or whatever) fill up fast. Holding the date, and sending them a contract sort forces them to make a decision.

I've become pretty good at making them think that they need me and not vice versa. Always taking a minute to "check the calendar" even if I know I don't have a gig that day. I never hagle with pricing. If they seem noncommital, I'll make sure I throw in that at every party the face painting is the main event. I tell them there is always a line. I make sure to tell them they wont have to worry about spending money on other entertainment.

I kind of walk them through the whole thing like "How many kids will you have" and they say "20" or whatever. And I say, "well then you will need me for 2 hours because I can paint about 10 an hour. So what time do you think you will want me there". Even before they have commited.

ok. That is a lot of info. I was just typing as was thnking. lol. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:56 am

The hard thing for me is that I work a coporate job and guess when a majority of my calls come, yeah during my corporate job. I take my cell phone and go out back but I'm kind of hurried because of a few loud mouths at work now people know I run a business. I like the idea of getting an email address and/or street address just for the marketing aspect. I also need to work up the nerve to be more aggressive.

"I kind of walk them through the whole thing like "How many kids will you have" and they say "20" or whatever. And I say, "well then you will need me for 2 hours because I can paint about 10 an hour. So what time do you think you will want me there". Even before they have commited."

I like how you handle the statement above, I just always fear that I may be too pushy. But this is business and my livelyhood so I need to be a little pushy. I'm going to try the "hold the date" scenario at least that gives me a follow up option.
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

CabbyJ-
I'm finishing a master's degree right now. I very specifically DONT have my cellphone on my business card. Instead I use my home line, and I have the following voice message on my answering machine. "You've reached Tamar Campbell at Tamariel Paints. I can't come to the phone right now but if you..."blah blah blah...ending with email address and website url

I find that contrary to what most people believe in this age of 'instant gratification', people leave me a voicemail message and I get back to them. If I lose one or two jobs b/c they couldn't wait for a callback, oh well, at least I'm not the idiot who's cellphone rang during a major exam...
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 pm

I use my cell phone as my business phone... I DO personally find that the first one to answer the phone (or call back) is the one that gets the booking.

If you find that you are not comfortable talking on the phone, make yourself a little script that you can read from for specific answers to common questions. I used to do that when I was selling Pampered Chef. Now though, because all of my packages for parties are preset and everything is spelled out on my website, I don't get too many calls where people are unsure... when they call me, it's because they want ME. And if they don't (at this point in my business) then oh well, there are plenty more. (It takes a few years to get to that point, I know it's painfully slow in the beginning)

Make yourself a pricing chart that is easy to read and makes it really quick to quote people prices. When you can give them an exact price quickly and confidently, it sounds much more official and less "off the top of your head."
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I never use my cell. And I don't take personal work calls at my dayjob. They have to wait for me to call them back on my own time. When I am employed by someone else they are paying for my time so it is not right that I run my own business on their time.

I have a telephone log form in my The Business of Face Painting ebook, as well as lots of other info. http://www.shannonfennell.com/bookcontent.html

The form covers all the questions I need to ask to have ALL the information I need from them in order to properly quote and/or book the gig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm a public speaker/performer so I've never had a fear or doubt about this. Like Shannon I have a sheet that I fill out when I call, and I *always* call back. We don't have a land line so my cell is it. If I don't know the number, I don't answer it. I've had no issues booking from call backs and that way I wait until I'm in front of the computer and I fill out my form as I am talking with them. Smile

I will say, I used to work on phones and I do know that if you smile while you are talking it automatically makes you sound more pleasant. It's weird- try it.

My hub said that my entire personality changes when I'm on the phone with a client. I will go from ticked off to chipper and sweet in .02 seconds flat. My voice is higher and softer (and I sound like a kid on the phone anyway, so it's really funny). I didn't even know I did it until he pointed it out. lol
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:55 pm

My husband has always said that about me on business calls too... when I was selling pampered chef I did it all the time and sometimes when I'm on the phone for clown stuff, I find myself talking like I do when I'm Perry... not that my voice changes a lot when I'm Perry, but a little.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:38 am

Haha! Like Bec, my kids go bonkers too when the phone rings (with 4 of them it gets a bit loud!). I use my cell phone for business calls, since my son who is 6 frequently answers our home phone. His phone skills are less than stellar. I only answer the phone if the mood is right, i.e. no one is crying or screaming. Otherwise, I figure they'll leave a message if they really want to get a hold of me. Then I can call them back at a better time. Sometimes though, the kids find me and start crying. That's when I hurriedly make an escape upstairs or into the bathroom and shut the door. Most people who call me already know that they want to book me. So I don't have a lot of hard-sell situations. If someone isn't sure, I ask them if they'd like to think about it and call me back the next day. Sometimes they need to discuss it with their spouse, figure out if it fits the budget, etc. I'd rather have someone book me after having made a thoughtful decision, than pressure them into booking me right then and there. People are generally smart enough to know what they want; I give them the benefit of the doubt. I've stopped stressing about bookings. Life is too busy with everything else for me to get all up tight about it. It's working out just fine so far!
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by amy from the ville Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 pm

im lucky! i work exclusively for a rides company so they do the sell and the phone calls, advertising, pay insurance, business fees,petrol and travel fees and still pay me amazingly. Lower then most of you guys but then again, i have no reason to charge extra- i have no expenses other than my paints and my time. I MAY get a random phone call to my mobile about facepainting but this will be a friend or a trusted regular who i have given my no. to for ease of operation (they are usually the one with 3 or more kids who book that many times a year.
amy from the ville
amy from the ville

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 am

LOL @ needing a secretary. I used to use my home phone for business so still get occasional calls. My 5 and 6 yr old kids always answer it, but somehow they taught themselves to use a very polite business voice and say "Hello? Who's speaking please?" I always get a compliment and a smile from whoever is on the other end when i take over. I need them to answer my cell, I think they are better at it than I am!! LOL
I am someone who will drop everything to answer a call. I am one of those shoppers that if I don;t reach who I want immediately, I move on, so in the spirit of treating others how you want to be treated...I answer right away. I don't stress if my children are around or making noise, as I have built my business and reputation on being a mom first and foremost, and a business person second. Most, if not ALL parents I talk to appreciate this and the fact that I live with kids, makes them comfortable with me vs another faceless, nameless agent company sending out teenagers. My policy may change when I get so busy that the phone rings off the wall everyday...but for now...I am available from 9am to 11pm on the phone. Smile
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 am

I like your attitude of being Mom first and foremost, Gamez. I guess it's not that I'm ashamed of my kids or anything, but it just gets so loud that I can't hear what the caller is saying. That's the main problem. I will sometimes take calls if everyone seems calm and collected, but boy these kids sure can make a racket!
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I agree with the answer it when you can thing - I answer it in all situations - I don't have another job though - and when I did there as no way I could have taken a call so it would have to be a answering machine.... sometimes I answer it when I'm being served in a shop or picking my daughter u from school - I explain what I am doing an ask them to email me all the details - or I offer to call them back when I have my diary infront of me.

Number one rule - ALWAYS let them tell you what they are calling for.
They say " Hi I'm calling about face painting"
I say " fantastic - what can I do for you?"
They say " oh I have this event/party/whatever coming up...".
I say " Ok what date are you lookiing for I will have a look as you are talking to me.."
They say " ____ date and time"
I say " I'm Just having a look now.... how many people were you expecting?"
They say " 20"
I say " Well 20 children will definately need my two hour minimum booking time... perhaps even another half an hour just so everyone gets exactly what they want........ oh and would you be interested in information about our face painting and balloon twisting package?"

From there it is easy.

I say " oh look I do have that time available aren't you lucky? ( small chuckle).... " I thought for sure I would look and that date was booked out... but I can fit you in if you decide you would like to go ahead and confirm the booking, I can't hold that time for you unless you confirm though."

I usually get confirmation on the spot or with in a day.

Every phone call is different - but I spent years and years working in Hospitality and know how to make people feel like they are getting extra special attention - " Oh wow that sounds like such a great idea/theme/venue! I do parties for my own daughter and they are always such a stress out.... but yours sounds so wonderfull - I would love to be a part of your event!"

Or " yes you hit the nail right on the head 5 yr olds LOOOOOOOVE facepainting so clever of you for thinking of hiring me - he'll love it and so will his friends - you can't lose!'

I find parents and even event orgainisers freak out about things being successful - so if you cater to their ego and tell them you think they are doing a fantastic job and their event will be the best yet ( and you should know as you do the alllll the time)... they will love you ... trust me .
Hope this helps some.
xxx

Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down