Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Bright White in Line Work

+2
glendaoneill
MinnieKeane
6 posters

Go down

Getting Bright White in Line Work Empty Getting Bright White in Line Work

Post by MinnieKeane Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am

So I've noticed that when I have tried to do white over any other color, that it gets muddied up with the underlying color. It somewhat helps to let the undercoat dry first, but even then, I can't seem to get the brilliant white that I see in photos. I use Snazaroo paints. I was wondering if ''liquid white'' would achieve this effect better, or if you have any suggestions otherwise? In some events it doesn't seem practical to wait until one coat of paint dries in order to do the white over it, as there's so many kids in the line waiting. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
MinnieKeane
MinnieKeane

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Getting Bright White in Line Work Empty Re: Getting Bright White in Line Work

Post by glendaoneill Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:56 am

I use Wolfe white (or Diamond FX) as it stands out over other colours, even black. Snazaroo is a great white for bases.

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:00 pm

This was the theme of my first post too, haha. Try using Diamond FX. There are a few posts on this forum about great paints to use for various purposes. Very helpful. Also, Metina suggested using a lighter touch in another post.
cassandra
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:57 pm

Light touch, make sure the base is dry and use Wolfe or DFX paints. This will get you your best base. The liquid whites like mehron won't get you the effect you are looking for. (not slamming mehron. I love to use it in my dippy pot for perfect consistency for dots)
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:34 pm

It's the Snaz. Great for bases, terrible for linework. Shocked
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 pm

It's sort of like applying hoof black and varnish to a horse's hooves... you have to use different brands or the clear varnish will make the black run. Smile

Sorry... horse show veterans will understand that!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:45 am

Also try to think ahead, so you start with the areas you want to have a lighter colour on after. That way the first colour will have more time to dry.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnieKeane Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 am

Ooh, these are brilliant suggestions! It does make sense about the horse show analagy, heh..I do understand what you mean, Shannon. It's great to know we are not the only ones who noticed how ineffective Snazaroo paints seemed to be for bright white line work, Angie. I do love them for other aspects, of course.

I haven't tried any other brands of face paint yet other than liquid black. I will **definitely** get this FX or Wolfe brand you have all mentioned. Thank you so very much for your suggestions, and I do think I will be able to sort a system with planning ahead for the line work, so that I can do it as much as possible over a dry base, LoneWolf. Thanks a million.

Do you all generally use Snaz or something for bases, and other brands for line work then? Just curious.. and Metina, is the liquid black/white best for dots then? I hadn't thought of that before. I was thinking it would be brilliant for line work, but once I tried it out, it wasn't working according to plan at all..haha..it went on like with no paint in the middle of the line I was trying to do, and all the paint was in two ridges along the edges of the line. Disastrous.
MinnieKeane
MinnieKeane

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 am

I like it for the dots because out of the container is already the right consistency. It will dry up though so I only put enough in my dippy pot(old glitter container with lid)for each job. I still may have to add water if it is really hot.

I just like to do my dots this way because sometimes it is hard to judge how wet my DFX is. A wet line is easier to manage than dots running down the face.

Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnieKeane Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Thank you so much for your input and advice! I just received some DiamondFX white and myself and my business partner have been practicing on eachother, and indeed find it to be much much better than what we were using!! WOOT!
MinnieKeane
MinnieKeane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down