Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corporate Gig Rates: HELP....

+2
Maaike
ColourFX
6 posters

Go down

Corporate Gig Rates: HELP.... Empty Corporate Gig Rates: HELP....

Post by ColourFX Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 am

I have been asked to quote for a Corporate Gig to go in as a package with another entertainment provider (Jumping Castle). The event goes over two weekends with a total of 23 hours and the possibility of more work later in the year.

I have no idea about how to charge this out. If it was a one day event no problem I would just stick with my normal rate which is what I originally quoted at $85.00. They have come back saying a rate of $65.00 per hour......is that acceptable seeing it is a long gig???

Pros: 23 hours solid work; promise of future work; exposure for my business

Cons: Big hit on products and equipment; time; travel; lower hourly rate; time committment

Argghhh....I welcome any advise on this one!
ColourFX
ColourFX

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Corporate Gig Rates: HELP.... Empty Re: Corporate Gig Rates: HELP....

Post by Maaike Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 am

Less income; 23 times $20, am I right?
or... no income at all in case they decide to book someone else.
I think it could be acceptable, but; future work should not be for the lower rate.
A "discount"is acceptable I think but I'm not sure if that should be 20,-
Maaike
Maaike

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 am

I have my straight hourly rate, a half-day rate, and a full-day rate.

Half-day = up to four hours of painting and the rate is a half-hour discount off my full rate.

Full-day = up to 7 hours of painting INCLUDING two breaks, and the rate is basically one hour for free as the rate is six times my hourly rate.

Now... for a repeat gig which in my mind is EVERY week or at least every other week for two months or longer I will negotiate on a sliding scale based on the hours required. For example, first hour full rate, then $10 off the second hour, $15 off the third and rest.

But that's only for a regular, steady, repeat job.

You are talking two weekends totalling 23 hours and POSSIBLY one more.

I would say - are you likely to get a full pay gig for those dates? If so, will you make more than taking this gig?

$20 off EVERY hour wouldn't fly for me. But I'd consider a counter offer that wasn't quite so generous.

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am

Do you think you could negotiate 65 plus gas expenses. I am not sure I could turn that down.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I would take it. I figure $65 an hour for 23 hours is a good income. You will not go through that much materials in those hours. I would ask that they include a meal allowance and mileage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm actually working this weekend for a friend who backed himself into a similar situation- he quoted his corprate rate, $120 and they said they could only pay $100. (And after he pays me out of that... I can't believe he took it.) I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it really does. I mean, I don't get to set the price I pay to rent a movie, or get my car fixed, or buy a sweater. So why do comanies think they can? bluurg!

Now, I have no problem working for $65 an hour-- that is my regular rate in fact! and $1500 for two weekends is a pretty sweet chunk! But... I just really feel like it's important to remain in control of your pricing. What they have done is essentially offer themselves a 25% discount. (I only give 20% to charity!)

I would write back and say that, though you are willing to negotiate with them on price, 25% is a rather deep cut. I would counter with 15%; it would be meeting them more than half way. If you do accept their offer, I would stress that it is only because of the length of the event and the promise that you will be first call for future events (which I would also try to get in your contract) .
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 pm

How many actual days is it? Would be be for just a few hours every day, or lots of hours on 4-5 days? More hours and less days would be ideal since you wouldn't be packing up, traveling, etc as much. (I wouldn't go for just two hours at $65 per hour, for instance.) If that is the case I would probably accept $65 per hour for 23 hours. I'm willing to negotiate on multiple hours like that depending on circumstances, and it's steady income which is great.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ColourFX Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone, I have been able to get some good advise and feel a lot better about make more informed decision.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend....and Happy Mothers Day to those who celebrate it in May
ColourFX
ColourFX

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon May 09, 2011 12:07 pm

I like Shannon quote my full hourly rate. That noted both of us are very experienced corporate painters. I say a drop in rate for that many hours in not unreasonable. Yes less income, but if you are unsure what to quite or how to wrangle this contract you I'll assume are less experienced that say Shannon or myself, and frankly you do not want to loss that much work in todays economy.
Working with a pr company or entertainment company can turn into future work.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down