Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skin Patch test

5 posters

Go down

Skin Patch test Empty Skin Patch test

Post by Brandi Cameron Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 am

I searched and searched for this answer but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When you do a skin patch test how long to do you leave the paint on to see if there is a reaction? And if the child does get red or itchy once the paint is removed, do you have any recommendations for the parents to stop the itching and/or redness?
I was also wondering if you have an alternate idea for kids who are allergic to paint or adhesive (for glitter tattoos and temp tattoos)? It hasn't happened yet, but I am dreading the day I do a birthday party and there is one kid standing in the corner moping because their skin is so sensitive or they have an allergy to the products I'm using. I think about this alot because my son has eczema and I would feel awful he went to an event where his sister and friends all got something he couldn't have Crying or Very sad
Brandi Cameron
Brandi Cameron

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Skin Patch test Empty Re: Skin Patch test

Post by Psalmbook Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 am

I've never done a patch test. My guess would be a few hours. The manufactures have to put the "patch test" info on their products, but can you really see a bunch of kids getting patched tested before each event? It's not practical.

On occasion I do end up with kids who can't get painted or only have their arm or something little on their face. I do keep those temporary tattoos in my kit(the ones you put on with a wet sponge) & stickers. The kids that get them because they can't get painted are usually not happy, but their Mom's word is final in my book.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:15 am

I tend to patch test for 20 minutes, 30 if I want to be *sure* - some react immediately (and want it *off**Now!*), some take a few minutes to start to realize something doesn't feel quite right. I had one adult I was working on warn me that he was allergic to red pigment and the last few times he'd had contact with it he reacted within moments and was hospitalized for days (talk about scaring the heck out of me).

Substitute using a different brand of paint, different type of adhesive, powder (like Starblends or pressed powders), offering the other (ie glitter tat if they are reacting to paint, paint if they react to glitter tat), sticker, the wet tattoos (the ones you wet and slide off their backing), add on's (pirate mask and bandana, princess crown etc etc). Lots of choices, depends what you have/want to carry. Even an "extras" bag in the car that you didn't take in to a party with things that don't go bad in the heat or freeze would be great - you could get it if you have some reactive children you want to give "something special" to.

To soothe the red itching topical reaction from a patch test, I suggest a cool compress after flushing with water, if they have eczema they might have a cream they regularly use, if not an over the counter healing/analgesic topical cream might work well. The main reason to patch test the arm though is to put the potential reaction in a non life threatening (small) location (vs covering their face or a large area if they get a large tattoo).

I hate to leave anyone out - and I find I typically get one of two reactions from kids who already know they react badly to these things - those that while they'd like to participate dread the itching/pain more and are glad to avoid it safely, and those that don't "care" how much it hurts, they want what the others have (and substitutions don't always count). First reactions are the hardest to deal with though because there is a bit of denial - explaining that the itching would be anywhere the paint is and it would cover their face doesn't always help....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

Some brands say 24 hours for a patch test, but this is really ridiculous. It doesn't take the body that long to notice something weird. Usually within the first hour is when the reaction will happen, and when I say usually, I mean like 9.5 times out of 10. On rare occasions, the body will react from long exposure like leaving it on for a good 2 days or so, because the skin has had time to really absorb everything possible out of the paint. But then, it's not our fault, or the paint's fault that the parent left the paint on so long before washing.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 pm

a benedryl cream will usually help if it is an allergic reaction and not just a sensitivity to "stuff" in general on their skin. I have had a couple of kids (from the same family... they just happen to be allergic to a lot of stuff including a few food dyes) have reactions and I have had reactions to some paints as well. Reactions happen more often than the paint companies like to pretend, but they usually are not severe and a topical antihistamine cream will usually help them feel better.

I'd say within half an hour, you should have SOME idea of whether or not they'd have a reaction.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down