Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite magazine

2 posters

Go down

Favorite magazine Empty Favorite magazine

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

There is American Face Painter, Illusion, others I can't remember and now there is Contours. Plus there is the online magazine Brushstrokes.

I've every issue of Illusion except #1 BUT, to be honest, I'm kinda getting tired of it. It really seems to be the same stuff over and over. Perhaps because it's mostly one writer. I was looking in the "Get Technical" section of this one and it's the same as in a couple past issues. I still think it is by far the best print resource we have because it is international. However, while they feature different people (with the same or similar questions every time), many of the contributors are the same and this past month they even had people whose art was influenced by Nick and Brian Wolfe in the same issue as a piece by Nick Wolfe. It was a little too Wolfe heavy (don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Evil Twins but I want more diversity).

The new Contours was a bunch of step-by-steps from the same 3 artists who actually make up the Contours FX company in Seattle. It wasn't a magazine as much as a giant ad for their company. With no articles and the little "editor" note pretty much saying this is what it's going to be...it's not a magazine as much as a sponsored how-to.

American Face Painter. I only have two issues.

I've heard a lot about Brushstrokes but haven't had the chance to scope it out.

What do you like to see in mags? Event reviews? Product reviews? New artist highlights? Amateur photos (which, I think, shouldn't be professional photos- which is what is seen a lot)? Step-by-steps? Technique ideas? Business and trade tips?
What are your favorite resources? Least favorites? Any that I missed? Since these aren't cheap I thought it would be a great place to share!
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Favorite magazine Empty Re: Favorite magazine

Post by Wildcatfin Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Love them all!

For the quality, interviews, etc; Illusion wins. They have dug up people I have never heard of in some issues, fab. Re the Wolfes; well, people do ask for them!

For the volume of designs, American FP. Not always useful, I don't get it as much, just if the theme is something I am interested in.

Brushstrokes is good in that again they interview/ have articles by known and less known artists; usually a bunch of step by steps (often by the editors), reviews, etc. I think its the best value for money plus as its online its handier.

I know from being told by many editors that the main prob is people do not send in work even when asked, which is why often the same reliable sources end up being in every issue. And for continuity they have the regular features like the tech sections.

Don't get me started on Silly Farm crediting the Illusion interviewer/ writer Sarah with my glitter art in the Spring Issue, though!

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks Cat! I'm def going to look at Brushstrokes now then!

Silly Farm seriously did that?! Was it intentional or accidental?

I forgot about Face and Body Art Magazine. I only have one issue because I didn't feel it was a good value. The font was enlarged so much that truth be told, the entire magazine could have been fit in half if they had have used normal type. I was so disappointed that I never got another one...although I loved the featured artist.

Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I get Illusion, go through it once... then pretty much put it on the shelf. I like to look at designs. I wish that the galleries had larger photos - You can't see detail in passport sized photos or smaller!!! I get it because it is about the only publication devoted to our industry (in print form!) but... it is very expensive!!

I keep getting it for my "inspiration library" I'm not sure I've ever actually used anything (design wise) from it either but I keep hoping. There is always great work featured but not stuff I find useful on a day-to-day basis.

And, to be perfectly frank, I really don't read those question and answer interviews - I really don't find them at all interesting.

Face to Face, the magazine of FACE is available by subscription to non-members - while it is aimed at the members there is usually a good amount of material for all - photos, galleries, step-by-steps, reviews.

American Face Painter offered a fair amount of "new" ideas - but the issues didn't always appeal to me. They were themed and some issues had several very useable ideas, others had none for me personally. It was a good publication showing lots of variety but is not being published anymore but back issues are available. It is only step-by-steps designs - no text.

Brushstrokes is good in that once you subscribe you have access to ALL the issues back to Vol 1! And they aren't limited by printing costs. Personally, though, I want my mags in print form!

Although out-of-print I have to say that the old FABAI magazine (Marcela's)did a great job of providing good information, tips and variety of photos for working professionals. It didn't concentrate on the "stars" like Illusion does, but offered a lot of information and mid-skill set designs and useful information. The proofreading was not great - always were lots of typos and errors, but if you find copies I would recommend getting them.

Face Painting and Body Art magazine (Cynthia's) I think only put out four issues before ceasing publication. There was some good material and some interesting articles (the one about teaching face painting in China pops into mind).

I've never heard of Contours... do you have a link?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm

I don't have a link to Contours because it's premiere issue is this month and the link in it is to a painting group, not to a publication. The site is ContoursFX.com The "magazine" (the size of a Wolfe Bro step-by-step but thinner on drug-store-ad style paper) was free with an order from Silly Farm.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down