Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEVER work for just tips!

+35
gracie621
pattyofurniture
Forest-Fairy
eviedejesus
anniel
artyfacesbyluz
fesspenter
Mellygee911
JJJJJ
funela
meenie
Rosenberg-Cox
razmatattz
creative lady
WickedBA
Lauri Strandell
Lyndell44
JBax
wmeventservices
ChangingFaceDesigns
Teri
Tash
smitty225
Psalmbook
dawni
Criss
AMAZINGface
Debi's Doodles
AngieAnders
Jessica Hicklin
Captain-Savvy
Just Jenny
Kristal
Perry Noia
Metina
39 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NEVER work for just tips! - Page 3 Empty Re: NEVER work for just tips!

Post by Perry Noia Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 am

Stick to your guns on fundraisers, as long as you do, you will get them to come around. I recently had to raise my rates for fundraisers because I was getting too many of them.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Thu May 19, 2011 2:36 pm

The only job I do for free is for the dream factory kids picnic but even that is not really free. I submit an invoice for all my and my assistants' materials which they pay for. So the only thing I am donating is my time and talent. Two of my children have received wishes from them. This is my way of giving back.
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meenie Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Metina wrote:Un,

I guess you have confirmed what we are all saying.  You really don't make hardly anything working for tips.  Once you get more experience under your belt, you will see how working for just tips is counterproductive.  

You are sending a message in your community that face painting should be free and maybe a small tip, not paid for.  I totally understand your excitement for getting a few parties, but in the end you are doing yourself a disservice.

Please don't take offense.  WE ALL started this way.  

-Metina

I agree with you Metina completely. When i first started, i painted at my local library for free on saturdays. I made no more than £2-£3 for about 5 hours work in tips. I once had a kid jump out of my chair to go attend to someone else and return to continue to be painted. ........ and that was IT for me. I felt taken for granted and haven't returned since and now that I have more experience and my work has greatly improved, plus I have now purchased more valuable supplies, I see it as a waste of time knowing I could be elsewhere getting paid even if it means PPF in a store or park.

And I sooooooo agree with you in that the message we're sending into the community is that face painting has no value! Well said Metina. well said!

meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by funela Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:03 pm

I had an idea - I'll work for tips. When I saw how the parents give their children 50 cents I changed my mind. I stopped the line. I wrote a pricing on a piece of paper with my face paint Smile
funela
funela

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://funela.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 pm

One time when I started out, I did a festival which is presented totally free to the public. I turned out high-level artwork for five straight hours and everyone left with a top-quality business card. NEVER got a single party from that.

The entire rest of the season, I painted at festivals and charged top dollar for high-level artwork. Booked lots of parties from them.

Same general area. Entirely different results.

Perception is everything.

If you are entering the world of professional face painting, please charge. It helps the field you will be taking part in.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mellygee911 Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Learned this one quick! I accepted one charity event for the other side of my business (princess parties), which was a cause close to my heart and great exposure. All of the sudden the charity was expecting face paint, glitter tattoos, etc. for (get this) 2000+ people! I was like ummmm... no. My staff were generous enough to devote their time from the goodness of their own hearts.... we can't also afford to be giving away supplies!

Since 5 of my staff donated 2/3 hours each, I think I'll be very accurate on our "gift in kind" form, to let the organizers know what they're REALLY getting for our kindness (at least $600 just in staff pay. At commercial rates, that many staff for that long would have been $1500+)

Mini beef over.
Mellygee911
Mellygee911

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2014-02-12

http://Www.busybeesparties.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:33 pm

When i first started out, I painted at a Terry Fox Run in High Park "for tips".
I made $1.25 for five hours of face painting. My last customer, a dad of five children, put a quarter in my hand, to pay for his five children's face painting.
Last
Time
Ever
Painting
At
A
Terry
Fox
Run
xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Wow! A WHOLE quarter!!! At that rate, you could retire sometime in about fifteen thousand millenia, in a land beyond the beyond of the afterlife ...

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 pm

I painted at children's expo, you can see the money there as the event looked to neat and clean organized, she said you need to bring 1.500 business cards to put them in gift bag to give away, I paid $250 on business cards, she gave me $50 dollars for supplies, I painted 7 hours + a glitter tattoo artist and I made $30 in tips, with 1 police call to a parent who was yelling somebody that cut in line, I have never felt so abused, I have never received a call from somebody that got my card in that package, I think the people who goes to that kind of events only get the kids painted when is free.

Last edited by artyfacesbyluz on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

When I retire on my $1.25, I am moving in with you, JJJJJ!

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Oh, goodie! We can pool our resources and afford one half of one cup of coffee at Starbucks, or, a box of instant oatmeal (generic), regular flavor. I am looking forward to the day.  Very Happy 

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 am

OK, I have an exception. If you are good--there is a genre that works hard for their $, and tips well if you are open to late night work and won't turn up your nose at their vocation( usually justifiable for personal reasons--raising siblings, paying off student loans, etc.). Hint: Jesus hung out with this crowd & the Pharisees took offense.

I am usually treated to what He turned the water into by the management. (Beats Starbucks JJJJJ.)
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:19 am

Oh! anniel!
Have you EVER seen the stuff I spout when I have drinking and chat-rooming? (If there is such a word?)

Alas... I cannot drink and draw, either. While I think I can at the time... The pictures of my work reveal the craptastic truth.

Going back to my box of cookies. I found out where they hide them in Kammy's Café.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 am

When I drink, I gushingly drape my arms around everyone and tell them I love them. While this is certainly true (that I love a lot), I do not drink in order to avoid this, and that headache the next day. Except for my eggnog with rum at Christmas. Eggnog without rum is like ... well, eggnog without rum. Good post Anniel. Interesting and thought-provoking too.

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm

fesspenter wrote:When i first started out, I painted at a Terry Fox Run in High Park "for tips".
I made $1.25 for five hours of face painting.  My last customer, a dad of five children, put a quarter in my hand, to pay for his five children's face painting.
Last
Time
Ever
Painting
At
A
Terry
Fox
Run
xoxox

I would’ve been SO pissed. That’s almost more insulting than nothing at all.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

I was once told that people's true characters come out with a little alcohol. Those who are crass and mean get nastier--and the rest of us gush (and paint).

Fessie:I have discovered Organic Vodka. (In my cupboard no less!) I had to make an orange juice run...and that hasn't happened since I lived in Poland in the late 70's & had to get the OJ smuggled in from Scandinavia...)
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mellygee911 Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

When I drink, I try to take care of people, and collect strangers socks.

.... What kind f person does that make me in non-inebriated life?

I think the PC term is "weirdo"
Mellygee911
Mellygee911

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 pm

I just love everybody when I have a drinkypoo...and then I fall asleep.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Mellygee - maybe you should start a sock company! I hereby confess that I have a sock fetish. I am certifiably unable, under any circumstance, to pass a sock display without going over and looking and touching. I actually ASK for socks for my birthday. I love socks. When I was in high school, one day I wore knee socks to the beach. My friends still discuss this thirty years later. Right now, I am wearing my plain beige socks with the light golden overtones. They are special because they are not too tight but stay up ALL day without any adjustments. This is a high compliment for a pair of socks. Tomorrow, I might wear my thin purple socks. Or the ones with little birds and nests on them. Or my thick sky-blue wool ones. Or my tall grays. Or ...
You see? I am in love with socks. I'll bet there are other people here who love their socks too. Because just like face paint, it's a matter of "oooh - look at all the pretty colors!" Anyway.  Rolling Eyes Let's see what Fessy has to say about this. She is sure to set down her cookie and come out of her box to drop a comment. Smile

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Dear JJJJJ:
Bwahahaha!
I did NOT put down my cookie to type this missive!

What I find really weird is.... when I mentioned that I picked up your telepathic message which stated that you wanted all our left socks to be mailed to you... I had NO idea you had this sock fetish.
I was lying to you about being able to pick up telepathic messages. I cannot read anyone's mind.

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 pm

artyfacesbyluz wrote:I painted at children's expo, you can see the money there as the event looked to neat and clean organized, she said you need to bring 1.500 bunnies cards we are putting them in gift bag to give away, I paid $250 on business cards, she gave me $50 dollars for supplies, I painted 7 hours + a glitter tattoo artist I made $30 in tips, with 1 police call a a parent was yelling somebody that cut in line, I have never felt so abused,

Holy smokes! That's prob the worst story for free/by tips painting i have heard. I take the business card in the baggies as a warning not to do that. I'd rather be included in their advertising material.
$250 on cards
-$50 supply, and $30 in tips
so you came out at -$170, -7hrs of your time

wow... Looks like you paid them for your services. I'm sorry this happened to you. And really the police were called?! Wow. Why is it tends to only happen when the face painting is free to the public? Human psychology must make them feel more entitled or something.

artyfacesbyluz wrote:I have never received a call from somebody that got my card in that package, I think the people who goes to that kind of events only get the kids painted when is free.

Yeah I find that's the trend too :/ I rarely get leads from events of that nature.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Well there are some horror stories here.  I'll make sure not to just work for quarters.  Yikes!

and...
JJJJJ wrote: I'll bet there are other people here who love their socks too. Because just like face paint, it's a matter of "oooh - look at all the pretty colors!"

*raises hand slowly*  I guess I'm one of those.
LOL.  I have 80 pairs of colorful patterned socks.  I collect/hoard.  People give me funny socks for gifts, and I love it. ....  I'm wearing green with shamrocks now.  Yes, I'll even wear holiday socks out of season.  Laughing
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 am

Holiday socks out of season??? You go, Pattyoh!! That's good, that's great, that's grand!! You are an official sock-lover! Socks know no time or season - they are just ... SOCKS! Long live socks!!!

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mellygee911 Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 am

If I started a business, I envision it would be a sort or ransom operation... You see, I generally only steal one sock. JJJJ, I imagine sock aficionados such as yourself would pay a great deal to reunite a matching pair. I'm basically a kidnapper who doesn't need the high maintenance of dealing with human cargo.

Alas, my partner said I'm not allowed to have any more businesses!!
Mellygee911
Mellygee911

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am

Careful, Mellygee ... you may think there is no high maintenance with a sock operation. But I am here to testify that the time-space warp within most household dryers notwithstanding, socks tend to multiply faster than they disappear. You would have enormous storage issues with your new business. As well as sock-lovers everywhere angrily demonstrating outside your house. There's that pesky human cargo issue again. How about a kinder gentler business? Like a sock spa? People could visit with their favorite pairs of socks for facials, massages, cold-cycle lavender rinses, etc. Whaddya think?  I love you 

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next