Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First gig today

+2
maggie
blueeyedgrl519
6 posters

Go down

First gig today Empty First gig today

Post by blueeyedgrl519 Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 pm

So I had my first gig today and I thought I had everything together for it. Until I start unpacking and I get a question. "Excuse me are those paints hypo allergenic?" AHHHHH I don't know so I tried googling it on my phone and no use they just said to do it on the arm rather than face. I felt like such an idiot. I am using the Mehron 12 color pallette right now. If anybody could be of some help in finding out i would greatly appreciate it. The girl was allergic to peanuts and dried fruits.
blueeyedgrl519
blueeyedgrl519

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

First gig today Empty Re: First gig today

Post by maggie Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Oh man! I am sorry that happened. Hope some one has the answer.
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm

When asked if my face paints are hypoallergenic, I answer, no make up can be fully hypoallergenic. I tell them they are high quality safe cosmetic grade face paints designed to be used on the face & skin. This is theatrical make up & not acrylic(which is very unsafe for the skin) or the cheap stuff you get from the craft store(non-toxic means it's not poisonous to ingest, but still bad for the skin). Everyone is different & while I've never seen a reaction in the 5 years I've been face painting it is always possible. Use your own discretion if you feel uncomfortable about being painted... maybe an arm design would be better?

The other thing I do is keep the MSDS sheets in my kit to show parents if they really want to see them(no ones ever asked & I don't display them). All the face paint companies have them on their websites(sometimes you really have to dig for them) & Silly Farm has them & will send them to you in a PDF file.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 am

I use Paradise to, if the kid has a peanut allergy I keep some Tag and DFX on hand because paradise has cocoa butter - which is essentially a bean but can fall into the nut catagory. I have been told after I painted a kid that they had allergies to nuts and everything was fine. Better to err on the side of caution - they are not consuming the paint so if they do have a reaction it wont be really bad - but painting arms works well.
Sucks this came up on your first job! Far out that unlucky.
I contacted Mehron and got an unofficial reply that Mehron has not been known to cause any reactions at this time.
MDS sheets are a big help.
Having some snaz in your kit would solve your problem, it's hypoallergenic and has antibacterial properties just to top it off - as far as I know.
This issue shouldn't come up for you very often at all.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blueeyedgrl519 Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Well I emailed the company and they sent this back

Hypo Allergenic is a general term to mean "is it safe for the skin". We use all FDA approved ingredients and even add natural elements like coco butter, vitamin E, Aloe to enrich our products. So, yes the Paradise is safe to use on your face, body and hair.

It didn't really answer my question but just to be safe I will purchase some snazaroo.
blueeyedgrl519
blueeyedgrl519

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 am

Hiya

Amongst all my reading of the forum I do remember someone making a reference to Shannon Fennells posts for advice . At the bottom of her posts is this;
Free resources to share HERE
My Blog

I don't know how else to find it, but if you maybe find one of her posts and click on HERE it takes you to a very helpful addition to her blog. Among all the great stuff is some MSDS sheets on a bunch of different products. I'm not actually sure if Mehron was on the list...but definitely worth a visit.

Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:09 am

blueeyedgrl519 wrote:Well I emailed the company and they sent this back

Hypo Allergenic is a general term to mean "is it safe for the skin". We use all FDA approved ingredients and even add natural elements like coco butter, vitamin E, Aloe to enrich our products. So, yes the Paradise is safe to use on your face, body and hair.

It didn't really answer my question but just to be safe I will purchase some snazaroo.

Well, that wasn't much help wasn't it. After reading your post I realized maybe is a good idea to keep a little snazaroo pallet in my kit.
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paintedfacestelluride Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I once got the question "Is your paint gluten free?" Guess you never know what questions will be asked LOL
paintedfacestelluride
paintedfacestelluride

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down