Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i wanna hit the road and teach.

+13
Mehndi Masala
Spectrum
barbb919
Metina
Freckles
Terina
AshleyMarie727
wmeventservices
Linda Adams
Psalmbook
poizonedpeach
Anita's Faces
Brady
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

i wanna hit the road and teach. Empty i wanna hit the road and teach.

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 am

Hi guys, For those of you who don't know me, my name is Brady. I have been painting faces and bodies for just over two years now. In that time I have somehow created somewhat of a name for myself in the industry. After three months of face painting I won First Place in the Semi-Pro face painting competition at FABAIC 2009. Over the course of that next year, I continued painting for fun, and the occasional gig. In May 2010 I won third place in the Pro Face Painting competition at FABAIC. Returning home from there I received an email from Illusion Magazine, wanting to do an article on me for their October Issue. They featured me in a four page spread, which included a few of my faces, a couple of my body paintings, and my collection of dolls which I also enjoy painting. In January of this year I went to Kapital Kidvention and taught my first two classes. I had a really good time and learned alot and have really enjoyed seeing some of the faces that have come from people who had taken my classes. AND most recently, my work, and myself, has appeared on the new TLC reality show "The Unpoppables".

NOW!!!! I'm ready to hit the road this spring and summer and continue my path into teaching. I have put together an outline of how I would like to approach my classes. Of course, the more I teach and learn, the more this outline will evolve. This will be an entirely different approach than other classes you may or may not have taken.

So yeah, take a look. Feel free to find me on Facebook too, to see my face painting albums. And if you or anybody you know would like to get some of your face painting friends together to do this please send me an email so we can get it going. Thanks for reading. Take care. Smile

..................................................................................................................

First off, I want to explain why I do what I do.
I don't paint for the money. I paint because I absolutely love creating new and beautiful things. If I wasn't painting faces then I would be doing embroidery, writing songs, or some other crafty form of art. I love the feeling i get while I'm creating something that has previously not existed in this world. The nice thing about embroidery is that while i'm creating, I also know that I am bringing something into this world that will last long after I'm gone, something that can be handed down through generations. Face painting is different. Once they are painted, they are loved, then washed away. If you are lucky you can get a picture of them before they are gone, and the pictures can last. The other thing that will last however, is the feeling you have as you are transformed into a walking piece of art. This is what I like to do for the people that I paint. This will be a lasting memory. They will remember the face painter who did this for them.
What is it that I have done that has set me apart from other painters? What is it I have offered this industry that has caused me to be recognized so quickly? Why is my work easily recognizable?
I would like to share my philosophy of painting with the people who are interested in hearing it. I would like to help people connect with their natural creative spirit. I want everyone to walk away from my class feeling inspired and ready to go out and start developing their own style and designs that will help them stand out in the crowd.
To start the class I would like to start at the beginning, where I started. The face I painted that won me first place in the semi-pro face painting competition at FABAIC 2009 after only painting for three months started with a very simple idea. I wanted to paint the most simple shape I could think of, a square, and see how much detail I could add to it while still keeping the same basic shape. Through precise blending and line work I brought this design to life. I think that people are attracted to simplicity, much in the same way that many of the most famous and lasting songs are played with the same three chords. It's something that speaks to the subconscious. Take something simple and add your own spin on it.
With this in mind, after touching on some basic blending, shading, highlights, lowlights, and line work the class will start by playing a little game. One person paints a simple shape, this gets passed on to the next person who paints the next shape or line, this again gets passed on to the next person....and so on, until the design is finished. This gets people thinking outside of their own little box of ideas. People can try to trip up the next person if they want or they can continue a theme that they may see coming together. I think it would be very interesting to see what comes out of this.
After this I will delve a little more into my quick designs. Throwing on color in random patterns and shapes as quickly as possible and devoting the rest of my energy to creating the perfect linework to compliment the shapes. This is a great way to come up with really interesting eye, jewelry, and butterfly designs that really pop.
The next step is to create full faces using this same method. I think that is pretty self-explanatory.
When we're done playing around with this I will slow it down. This is the part that I want to take my time on. I would like to teach how to turn people into characters, which is what I really like to do. These can be scary faces, funny faces, sad faces,..... I'll touch on a few different ways that I like to do my eyes, noses, mouths, cheek bones, and other prominant parts of the human face. Each face will be one that I have never done before. These are not faces that I like to rush through. I want people to take their time. So much of the art in this business is about getting things done as quickly as possible. I find that through taking our time to really think about the next step we can bring things out that we have never thought of before. The things we learn while taking our time we can then use in our faster designs.
The last part of class can be spent painting for fun. I think all in all this could span the length 6 to 8 hours with a lunch break thrown in there somewhere.

Last edited by Brady on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brady
Brady

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

i wanna hit the road and teach. Empty Re: i wanna hit the road and teach.

Post by Anita's Faces Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Welcome from the Netherlands Brady!!
I really like your avatar.

I can not get lessons from you because I live too far away.
But I would say go for it!!!!
I would love to see some photos of your creations.
I'm not on facebook so I don't think I can see your pics.
Do you have a website?
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Anita,
I would be MORE then happy to go to the Netherlands. I actually grew up in Germany and travelled all over Europe during my childhood. Someday I'm getting back there.
You can check out my website at www.bradytheface.com. It's just a temporary website until I figure out how exactly I want to make my real one. This one was free. Smile
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 pm

I love your work!! welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to teach and expand!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Brady & welcome to the forum! Your work is pretty cool! I saw it at FABAIC 2010! Can you put a link to your Facebook page?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:23 pm

thanks for the welcome lizz and linda. did we meet last year linda? here's a link to my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1098341832

take care,
brady
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Brady,
Welcome to the Forum.

I think you are going to make an AWESOME teacher!! Being in your class at Kidvention was really cool. I was amazed as I watched that incredible face evolve on Terra. (below)
I wish you nothing but the BEST of Luck to you on your newest endeavor!! cheers
Hugs!
~Linda
i wanna hit the road and teach. Brady_12
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

LINDA!!! Smile I'm so glad we met. thanks for posting the pic. that's a great shot. Smile till we meet again, take care.

<3
brady
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey Brady, I'm glad to see you following your passion. I saw your work at FABAIC 2010 as well and really loved it. I'm highly interested in your process as I feel that the biggest mistake I make in my art is over thinking it sometimes. Only problem is that there are no other painters near me to be able to help get you here. Are you gonna keep an updated tour schedule on you web page so if you get within driving distance of me, I might be able to attend on of your workshops.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Oh good! another person familiar with me. Not sure your name, but Hello.
I have the same problem. I live in a little town in West Virginia, though I do have Metina close by. We work together every once in awhile. She's great. Once I start getting classes lined up i will surely be posting them on here as well as on my facebook page.
I know what you mean about overthinking things. It can give us artist's block if we're not careful. I think it's important to remember that not everything has to be the best thing we've ever created. I'm sure we all know the feeling of being underwhelmed with something we've painted. But we just let those go and learn from them regardless.
Are there seriously no other painters near you in El Paso? That amazes me. If I'm ever out your way, I'd be more than happy to meet up for a simple jam session. Or if you're at FABAIC agan this year, we can have a sit down and just pick eachother's brains. Smile
As far as my website goes....I really need to get a new one before too long. I have just been uncertain as to how to focus it.
Take care.
Brady

Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Wow Brady good for you!
See people like you are an inspiration to get up and just do it. We are actually starting to take off to I am very excited for this year. I am going to make it a great year! Hopefully you will come around my way and i can attend one of your classes i would love to.
AshleyMarie727
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi Brady, welcome to the forum. I love your style. I looked at the Website and sent in a friend request to your facebook. I put a note on there so that you would know who I was LOL!.

I would like to know about classes, I really like your skull faces. Since we do magic shows too I hardly get to do anything that is geared just for painting. A lot of the family entertaining groups offer some face painting. I have taken a few techniques classes over the years but, usually I have to go to the magic conventions instead. That way everybody has something that they can participate in. LOL! Ah selfish selfish me, I want to go to FABAIC SO BAD...not gonna happen this year.

Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Brady!

I am excited as well and would love for you to come by to Houston, Texas!!! If you do I'm in. If you could send me what it would take to get you here please send me the info. I have a few friends I could gather and we are having a meeting tomorrow.

thanks!
Freckles
Freckles

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Hiya Brady! Nice to see your drop by!
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Metina!! Nice place you got here. I haven't really been on here before last week. I heard about a thread that I just had to read.

Hi Ashley, all I can do is just get up and do it. I don't work from templates. I find it really helps to find new and interesting designs. Last year was all about focusing strictly on the art. This year I wanna focus on turning this into a living.

Hi Terina, There were alot of magicians at the Kapital Kidvention. It's certainly a completely different world from face painting. I saw you on facebook. I've been very "selfish" with my painting this past year. But I need to do it the way I feel is best for me.

Hi Freckles, talk to your friends. See what they say. I'd love to make it out that way.

AND let me clarify, although I do have a very distinct style, this is not about making mini-me's. It's about finding your own style. I just feel like giving a little inspirational nudge where it's wanted, if I can. Smile
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:45 pm

hi Brady welcome to the fourm..I have seen some of your work..Clayton from marvelous mask had a link to your website or face book page cant remember..I love your work. I live in wisconsin and we don't have much action as far as classes or conventions here.. we would love to have you..

barb
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I encourage you to teach 100%, it would be awesome to see some new talent in the mix....very refreshing!! I also love that it's not all about the money for you, too many artists get blinded by the dollar and become very confined. Live, Learn & Share!!! Much luck to you my friend.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks Barb, Clayton is the man with a thousand faces. Get in touch with Suzysparkles and let her know you'd be interested. We have talked a little about the possibility of me coming out there. Smile

And to Spectrum. Thanks for the encouragement. I agree that the need to make money seems to keep people from venturing to far away from the norm. My hope is that people will start getting tired of doing the same old thing and start pushing themselve's as artists as opposed to just a "face painter". When they hire you, they get "YOU".

This is very important to me, and perhaps i'm not for everyone, but I prefer to keep it this way. Smile
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:54 pm

I will be in touch with suzy today..thanks Brady

barb
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Brady wrote: AND let me clarify, although I do have a very distinct style, this is not about making mini-me's. It's about finding your own style. I just feel like giving a little inspirational nudge where it's wanted, if I can. Smile

Hi Brady and Welcome! I'm only about 3 months 'old' (total noob) but I am really very much about my own style but I cannot paint in an artistic 'vacuume'. Other artists inspire me and you do some awesome work!! I *may* hit FABIAC this year....(small chance) and if so, I would love to shake your hand! Hope you enjoy surfing here and I look forward to seeing more of your inspired and inspiring works!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

i understand about the vaccume. i've been painting mainly in my own home, inviting the occasional friend over to paint. which so far has worked out just fine for me. but now i need a change. part of hitting the road, is not just to teach, but to also learn and be inspired by others.
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 pm

True that..... but I hear what you are saying about trying to keep being 'you'. I'm still very aware that I want to still be my own vision and sometimes struggle with not being OVERLY inspired by anyone else. I'm hoping that my learning curve and inspiration will 'catch fire' if I can get to a convention! Look forward to maybe bumping into you!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 pm

it's incredible how inspiring it is just to be around a few hundred people who have similiar interests. by the end of the convention you will be bursting with ideas.
Brady
Brady

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Brady!

Thank you for accepting my friend request on FB. I was able to see your work and I am definitely in when you come to Houston!! You have a very original style and your contribution to the FP world will be unique Smile

Hope to meet you soon!
Freckles
Freckles

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am

Brady wrote:AND let me clarify, although I do have a very distinct style, this is not about making mini-me's. It's about finding your own style. I just feel like giving a little inspirational nudge where it's wanted, if I can. Smile

I love this attitude! This has been where I've been at for the past few months! I want to paint for the shear fun of it & make a new style of my own. I'm a wonderful Mini-Me of many other artists, but kindof got lost in their work. I've now started to venture out & find me in my art! I wish I could come to FABAIC, but my son's bday is that weekend & he takes top priority. Maybe I can bop in for a day or 2 since I'm just south of it....
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next