Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bad memory

3 posters

Go down

bad memory Empty bad memory

Post by dawnand Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:32 pm

two funny stories:

Where I live in North Fitzroy there has been an event called ' The village' every year around this time- I went the
last 2 years and it was a sort of hippy festival. Anyway, earlier this year I emailed one of the artistic directors about
Fpainting there this year and gave my hourly rate (the usual) etc etc. Had 1 courtesy email after that, then nothing.
So of course I rocked up there last night to check it out. Guess what- they had 2 'painters' there, using Derivan paints,
with facepainting books (not proper ones), on their laps. Not surprising that their work was truly awful(believe me, it was), and the line wasn't
very long. But one was dressed up in black leather shorts and fishnets (perhaps I should try that as my look next time). And they had the temerity to charge $3 per face.

The other funny story:
i was talking to the mum of a kid who was at kinder with my youngest son last year.
i'd asked her what she thought of the fp at this event . she said she didn't really think much of it, but that the person
who'd done it at kinder last year was fantastic- the best she'd ever seen, and that her son hadn't wanted to wash his
tiger face off for 2 days, and that she'd taken a photo of it.
i was thinking, hummm, who was this person, grrrr.
then 5 minutes later, remembered that it was me!
i had done a session at kinder towards the end of last year.
i'm getting old, losing my memory..

Dawn A (Melb) affraid
dawnand
dawnand

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-25

http://www.elfineyes.com.au

Back to top Go down

bad memory Empty Re: bad memory

Post by BATWilliamsMagic Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Too funny that your son's kinder classmate was painted by you, and the mom & boy (obviously) loved it so much, yet you didn't remember being the artist. But that's a fantastic tribute to your work!
BATWilliamsMagic
BATWilliamsMagic

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by cc Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Must have felt really good when you realized they were complimenting YOUR work! cheers
Since we're sharing...
When I was first starting out, I did a free "practice session" at a neighborhood picnic, and I was so nervous that I kept appoligizing the to kids about it taking so long "cause I want it to look really, really good", and they said "That's okay, you're really good. We don't mind if you take longer cause it shows you care...not like some people who just slap the paint on and don't care what you look like" That comment always makes me think about how can I balance speed and good designs. Still trying to perfect that concept....but it pushes me to be better.
cc
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnand Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 pm

love your avatars BAT and cc, and also your comments and advice. i do hope our work shows that we care, and don't just 'slap it on'. and always trying to improve on our skills. btw, with that mum from kinder, i think i'll get a job from her next year.
dawnand
dawnand

Back to top Go down

Post by cc Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Hope you get that job! I'm sure that mum will spread the word about how good you are!
cc
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BATWilliamsMagic Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks, Dawn. The avatar face is not me, but is what I consider to be my best ever cheetah face. The girl was ever so photogenic, and if memory serves me, it was actually my first ever cheetah. I was so impressed with myself! Now, if only I could get all my work to look that great! Would you believe I have NEVER done a tiger?
BATWilliamsMagic
BATWilliamsMagic

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnand Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 pm

BAT , you should try with the tiger. sometimes that's all they ask for in a line. thank god, once when 4 girls in a row wanted a tiger, it was a white tiger (white black markings)- soooo easy.
dawnand
dawnand

Back to top Go down

Post by BATWilliamsMagic Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:15 pm

BAT , you should try with the tiger.

I will, eventually. I really should put in a lot more practice time, but seldom do until I have a gig coming up. Someday, I'll grab myself a practice head and do more. I really hate that all my practice is on myself, but DH has a beard/mustache, so full faces on him don't really work, and I really don't have any youngsters that I know well enough to ask to be my model. Grandkids are all 400+ miles away, so that doesn't work out either. lol
BATWilliamsMagic
BATWilliamsMagic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down