Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz?

+38
monelle
fantasiefacies
KirstenJ
Tineke
seekorka
Becky521
1HappyNut
Gretchen
Winger1200
martha
a face painting mom
Smiletime
DazzlingDisguises!
cattsy
Mommyof5Busykids
tamarielpaints
eva
SuzySparkles
Beans
AUSSIE3070
Metina
Clayton
IamGinaW
Sweet Loretta
AmberMarie
Shannon Randolph
michellesfantasyfaces
Anita's Faces
maggie
Linda Adams
chucklor2
BarbieSmith
Mirandas
wmeventservices
Perry Noia
Psalmbook
AngieAnders
Ginacentral
42 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz? Empty Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz?

Post by Ginacentral Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm

I want a really nice metallic silver that is not to transparent, I want good coverage. I have looked at all three but I'm not sure which to purchase.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz? Empty Re: Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz?

Post by AngieAnders Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:26 pm

I haven't yet found a good silver. I've given up and don't keep silver in my kit at all so that people won't ask for it. Neutral
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz? Empty Re: Who has the Best Silver-- DFX/wolfe/Snaz?

Post by Psalmbook Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:09 pm

DFX does well with some work. I'm wondering if you mix some Fradel or Mehron Liquid with it, if that would work?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:23 pm

The folks at silly farm swear by the kroylan silver as its more metallic than the others but they also warned its more crumbly.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:36 pm

I have some kryolan silver but it isn't opaque. It seems more like a see-through gray with silver glitter mixed in. Their bronze is fabulous though. Metalic silver must just be a difficult color to formulate.

I did a mask the other day with a matte gray base, and then added Diamond metalic purple around the edges, and it looked kinda silverish when I'd finished.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm

I agree on the Kryolan silver, it is not opaque at all... I've put it over gray before but you'd almost get a better result putting glitter on gray.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Arrgh Frustrating! I wonder why the silver is so hard to make.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Ummm... I love my paradise silver and get great coverage from it. The problem is, I've heard lots of bad reviews on it from other people. I'm thinking I might have just gotten a good batch?
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 pm

NOT Snaz.

Wolfe Silver is (was?) fantastic .... but the OLD stuff. I still have some of it - gorgeous solid silver. Used it for the TinMan in WofOZ when I did the show.

In my working kit I have mixed up greys and silver in one hole to use as a base and then use Grimas Silver on top. The Grimas silver is actually pretty decent, not as solid as the old Wolfe, but nice and shiny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:50 pm

I mix my snaz silver with paradise grey...it looks descent but I have hope on finding the good stuff. I think I might just buy Paradise Silver bullet and mix it with the metallic powder, like Lone Wolfe does with her Gold.. Might work, we'll see. Cool
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Honestly, ANY silver (even grey!) would look great with some Mehron powder mixed in. That stuff is magic ")
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 pm

BarbieSmith wrote:Honestly, ANY silver (even grey!) would look great with some Mehron powder mixed in. That stuff is magic ")
Barbie
How do you mix it barbie? I'm buying mine tomorrow and play with it.. Very Happy
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 am

Shannon Is that safe for kids faces the Grima's Silver or is it like mehron stuff?
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am

The Mehron powder, I just pour a wee bit (say 1/8 teaspoon or a wee bit more) onto the top of my cake and mix, mix, mix. I can use it quite a few times before I need to put more in. You can do the mixing in at home, and then go to your gigs - it stays nicely incorporated.

Also, you can paint the face, and then use a smoothie blender to put the powder on top - it works really well. Only 2 problems: if it is windy, the powder will blow everywhere, and also the powder pieces will "travel" onto the point underneath where you are painting, and onto the clothes. Hence why I mixs it directly into the cake, which works well.

By the way, my avatar is done withOUT the powder. It is done in TAG silver (similar to DFX). Super coverage. Just a little more dull than I liked (hence the powder addition) but really opaque and looks pretty good! If you haven't found a good silver, then you need to try the DFX metallic silver...

Regards,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:14 pm

I use the paradise silver and I love it. I do robots with it and it looks great. If you do end up with a "hard" packed paradise silver, just work it sound the surface with a more course sponge. When it dries, it works like butter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I think I will try the paradise first and see if I like it. If not then I may try the grima.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by chucklor2 Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I use the paradise silver. It's ok. I can't say how it compares to other brands, except that it's better IMO than snaz silver. Those are the only 2 silvers I have tried. I'll have to try the mehron powder, too, because sometimes it seems like the silver just isn't opaque enough.
chucklor2
chucklor2

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.relyeafamilyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Ginacentral wrote:Shannon Is that safe for kids faces the Grima's Silver or is it like mehron stuff?

Grimas is made in Holland and they are an established brand of face paint. It is a very good product. Definitely safe for kids faces! It is regular face paint in cake form.

There is a US distributor http://www.happyfacesfacepainters.com/Grimas.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm

I did end up ordering the paradise silver we will see how I like it.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Hey Gina,
where in NC are you?
I'm in Clayton NC.
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Raleigh Durham area. Awesome I thought I was the only one on this forum even in NC!!
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Gina, did you get your paradise silver? just checking to see how you like it.
Thanks Smile
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am

I did get its pretty good. It didnt offer the coverage I really wanted but I think its about as close as I will get except for the stuff mehron makes and I didnt want to put that on kids faces etiher. So it works well enough for that purpose.

I actually have used it quite a bit already my little cousin was in a winter play and I used it and added white snowflakes he and three of their little buddies were "Frost" It was a cute little play. I forgot my camera but I will see if My aunt has any pics of them.

They couldn't do a Christmas play due to religious concerns or something. So they did it about the coming of winter. They did sneak in the song winter wonderland though LOL. Course its not really a Christmas song.
Ginacentral
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks so much! I have dfx silver and it really looks like a sparkle gray.
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm

The best siver ever is SUPERSTAR silver!!!!!!
But unfortunately you can only buy in the Netherlands.
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next