Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Neon Paint Labeling

+9
anniel
Chatterbox jp
LoneWolf
ChangingFaceDesigns
Wildcatfin
Noella
aprilmoonflower
Mirandas
Metina
13 posters

Go down

New Neon Paint Labeling Empty New Neon Paint Labeling

Post by Metina Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:32 am

Hiya,

The newest shipment of the DFX neon colors including the neon rainbow are being labeled with "For hair and special effects, not intended for cosmetic application." I felt like this could raise some concerns so I contacted the US distributor for the official company explaination on this.

From Elena Bonifaz: "Neon paints have a special pigment that allows them to shine under the black light. They are considered for special effects only because that pigment is not considered a cosmetic in FDA standards. It is accepted as a cosmetic in other parts of the world, but it costs too much money for our government to do the testing to approve it as such. Independent testings have proven them to be safe and there have been no reports of any reactions.

If your clients are worried and scared, and if they paint on children that are not under the blacklight, I really would recommend them to use only essential colors. They are even more bright than the neon ones. Neon colors were really made for night clubs were the use of that special pigment is really astonishing. "

I love my neon rainbows and don't plan on giving it up, but I believe in open communication.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to run down the answers.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

New Neon Paint Labeling Empty Re: New Neon Paint Labeling

Post by Mirandas Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Hmmmm so I shouldn't use my neon orange for my tigers anymore???
I use it because its more pigmented than the regular DFX orange... confused
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 pm

This is the most important part I think.

Metina wrote: It is accepted as a cosmetic in other parts of the world, but it costs too much money for our government to do the testing to approve it as such. Independent testings have proven them to be safe and there have been no reports of any reactions.

Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Got it!!! Wink
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Is there a way to get copies of the independent test reports? Who were they done by?

I find this a little bit misleading in all actuality as the government does not pay for the safety testing on cosmetic and body care products here in the USA, the company does. (I used to make and sell body care products btw so I know a little about the process).

How do they get away with selling it as face paint when they haven't had it tested? A bit shady IMHO!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 pm

I've talked to several of the manufacturers (at trade shows) and as far as I know they've all done testing of the *products* - but the FDA does have listings of color additives and their approved use in certain areas, as well as if they are exempt or subject to batch certifications.

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/ColorAdditiveInventories/ucm115641.htm

For example, Luminescent zinc sulfide (that lovely green/yellow "glow in the dark") is in the section:
Color Additives Approved for Use in Cosmetics
Part 73, Subpart C: Color additives exempt from batch certification

and under "uses and restrictions" it says:
"Nail polish and externally applied facial makeup(6) NTE(7) 10% of final product for limited, occasional use."

So while a product may have tested safe, if it uses a color that is restricted in some way, the product would also have to be labeled as such. I've heard for years from some manufacturers that there is no FDA listed as approved for cosmetics neon/glow in the dark/uv pigments, but that many were grandfathered in or batch exempt or approved for limited use only.

I have a collection of products that I use on photo shoots or other in limited situations.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:00 am

Well of course they are going to say that as they want you to buy their product. I wonder if there is a way to request the test results? I'd be so interested in seeing them.

I do wonder what the deal is with the FDA though. I mean why they are considered not safe according to the FDA by DFX. I have read the face painting info on the FDA site about the neons but it doesn't give any clear answers. It does says there there are 8 approved colors for neons or "day glo" here. So something is just not adding up. I guess what it comes down to is the luminecent then?

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ProductInformation/ucm143055.htm

I also think it is putting us face painters in a bad spot. If we get sued over a mishap with neon paints (Say someone does have a horrible reaction?) insurance will not be covering it if you were using neons, yk?

Anyway it's good to know. Albeit a bit disturbing!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm

I was always told that NO paint brand's UV colours had been Ok'd for use near eyes etc. Snazaroo USA is always on about it....

But I have yet to hear of any problems...have heard more reactions to most brands normal colours that about neons! Could be as most neons are harder to work with, they get used less often, or, in my case, mainly on adults at nightclub gigs...

Got to say I'm not worried by it, I will keep using it.

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 am

I am not worried about it either. This stuff has been around for years, and if anything were going to happen it would have. I don't use neons soley on there own other than my neon rainbow cakes. I do have 4 other single neon colors to punch up the intensity of some regular colors, like I split my reg. orange with neon orange in a cake. This way if I feel my orange needs a little extra umph...i'll swipe it over the neon on top of it. Same for my green pink and yellow.

Since I don't have a blacklight, and won't be doing any nightclub stuff, the only time I can really see myself even needing to use neons in a greater application would be for halloween.

So until there is something to truly worry about...I choose not to worry
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:07 am

What are the actual neon colours? There is listed a lot of numbers "and Non Toxid Fluorescent Pigments" So the colours listed are not the neon ones? And in that case, what are they?
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chatterbox jp Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Oh dear, this is a thread I wish I had read earlier / never read!!!
Bought some DFX neon, never thought to look on the bottom where the label was stuck.
Used some in the mane of a unicorn and a rainbow on my 3 yr old daughters face for a party last week and now I'm panicking.
No reaction on her skin but after reading some of the posts those paints are in the bin!
Not worth even a hint of risk.
Chatterbox jp
Chatterbox jp

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Thank you Metina...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitterpixiee Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm with Metina! Not giving up my neon rainbow cake for anything! I do appreciate the clarification though it is good to know. I have read that disclaimer several times but never knew the details. My daughter has sensitive skin and I use my Wolfe Neon Cake on her and have never had a problem so fingers crossed.

Glitterpixiee

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:01 am

You're going to hate me for resurrecting this....but according to the official DFX statement I just read, it's the opposite geographical situation to what Metina said, surely?

And I quote from their official statement:

"With Day Glow Colours, the dye is embedded in a resin and has no direct contact with the skin.

Regular Neon colours have never been officially approved for cosmetic purposes only so called phosphorescent colour pigment is used.

This paint contains a low percentage of Free Formaldehyde. (Under the approved percentage)

In 2000 it was approved by the FDA for use as a cosmetic item. USA is the only country in the world where such an item may be distributed labelled as 'for cosmetic purposes'."

(Bolding is mine)

According to that page, then, the labeling is a warning that it's not technically considered safe in other countries, only in the US. Whereas Metina said that other countries consider these paints safe, but the US doesn't?

I'm confused. I realise I must have misunderstood something, so can someone tell me which countries the warning is intended for?

I'm going to keep using my neons anyway, and I say this with a neon butterfly currently painted across my face. Wink

Last edited by Kammy on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 am

Right, time to say something...as if I hadn't already had a rotten enough day, I just realised that the original version of the above message contained a link to a UK face painting stockist's store. I completely wasn't thinking when I posted the link because I'd not been searching for products, only for a statement from DFX and hadn't even thought about the fact that the company also sells face paints.

I'm really, REALLY sorry to Metina et al for posting that. I'm just a total unthinking idiot and I'm so grateful I got an understandably-terse message from Suzy on the matter so I could come and correct my utter stupidity. Sorry again.

And now I'm going to crawl off into a corner and feel justifiably mortified and upset. One day I'll grow a brain. But apparently not any time soon.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 pm

^yeah, I've done it a couple of times already.....us newbies gotta be watched carefully lol
Facepainting by Tina
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

dang, I said please. Didn't think it was that terse...lol

We have had a SLEW of links posted lately so I guess I am just getting a little fact of the matter with letting people know to edit their posts.. No biggie and to tell you the truth I barely remember who I tell to edit their posts so don't think I sit there watching and thinking bad of people.. Everyone makes mistakes (myself included). Smile
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Oh - I didn't see the "please" when I read it and I've deleted it now - sorry. I'm angry with myself and probably didn't notice. In any case, I didn't object to the perceived terse nature of the message, as it was entirely called for and it was utterly stupid of me not to realise that the DFX statement was hosted on a site that sold face paints.

I'm feeling pretty chastened, don't worry. I'll be careful if I post in future. Sorry again.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down