Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn

+7
Psalmbook
LillyW
Metina
ChangingFaceDesigns
Magic
Mandi from Tazzie
Lynnie
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn Empty 3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn

Post by Lynnie Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi all! My first review Wink

I received this the other day. I have to admit, I ordered it and then read a horrible review and was so paranoid!

First of all, the layout is really nice. There is a good introduction followed by an area that discusses tips and tricks. They are right in the order they need to be, and I like that a lot. Nothing is worse than working through something and then finding tips later.

Next comes the section on how to make 3D items. While the book is about jewelry, there are fantastic tips for this that really to apply to any design. It also inspired me to really look at my own jewelry or items in the Fire Mountain Gem catalog that I get and break them down. Why I missed this before, I just don't know.

Then there is a section about creating your own design. To me there is nothing worse than a book that just gives step by steps without encouraging people to really make things their own. I don't want to be part of an artists collection where someone in the know can look and go "Oh you took that from so-n-so." *sigh* This brings me to a part of the book I praise, practice sheets. There are several in sizes. I highly recommend scanning and printing them, as I have a feeling they will run out quickly! Wink

Then it goes into step-by-steps. This includes colors included in the pieces but not specific brands, so you can work with what you like best. I like that also. The steps are clearly explained and really helped me work through design development.

Finally there is a resource and reference area which is really great. It defines the brushes (if you don't know them), talks about jewelry styles and birthstones.
There were a couple online groups mentioned, sadly, this isn't one of them.

Anyway...

There are GADS of photos. Each pages is full of them. Sadly, they are not high quality or as clear as I think we've come to expect. Most look like they have been taken with the home camera held at arms distance. This has given us grainy-ish photos when I would love them to be more clear and crisp. They are clear enough that you can see some of the basic detail work, but in some color variations are a bit difficult to see.

The font is large and easy to read. I like that, especially if I am trying to read and see the photos while practicing on my own face.
The pages, to the hub and I, look like screen shots taken right off a computer.
Also, and perhaps this is because I am used to nice, glossy pages but the actually paper reminds me of something in those watercolor dotted kids books. That means keep this well away from your water basin as I am not sure the pages can handle it. This and the picture quality are actually my largest gripes.

There is one more content issue that I can point out, but it's also something that I think will spurn the creative mind, Lilly talks about doing jewelry in her booth (which I know is an issue for many of you) and how she feels not-challenged by the pieces she can do quickly, but the customers appreciate them all the same. However, there is only ONE PHOTO of something so simplistic in the entire book. I'm sure that with practice, a couple of the step-by-steps could be done with speed and ease but most are very complex. I view it as a challenge on how to make ones work for my booth because I know that in offering even simple jewelry it will open to a bunch more customer possibilities.

Over all, if I were to grade this on 1 brush (bad) and 5 brushes (don't paint without it), if you are into painting jewelry...it's a solid 4 brushes.

Have fun! Smile
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn Empty Re: 3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Wow thanks for the review I've been considering buying this book.

I wasn't sure due to the complexity of the designs that I've seen on SF site, how well this would suit in booth lines.

When you've scanned the practice sheets you could laminate them so they would be reuseable again & again.

Thanks again.
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn Empty Re: 3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn

Post by Lynnie Thu May 06, 2010 7:49 pm

I just bought a laminator yesterday and am only figuring out how to use it and that it is a brilliant idea!

I'm going to try it Wink

As far as buying this specifically for a booth I, personally, wouldn't. I think you have to have a broader range for this to be relevant than just lines. As I mentioned, it included one photo of a simple piece that was geared towards the booth line. There are jewelry instructions in some of the Illusions magazines and on YouTube that might serve you better.

I do love the book but I will paint jewelry on myself and go out, or on my friends, and I work for a salon sometimes that allows me to paint jewelry for proms and weddings, so I had a much higher, vested interest in it.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Fri May 07, 2010 12:01 pm

I can't believe all the controversy about the review of this book across all the forums.

I am a trained jewelry designer with experience in jewelry illustration. I have been working on converting from water color to makeup. Hopefully I can come up with step by steps in the future that are quick enough to wow the customers and easy enough to teach.

When I buy a book on painting I would expect very clear photos so I can deconstruct what I am looking at. I would like to see this book in person before I order it so I am waiting.

I think people should be able to post an honest review even if it is against the majority if that's how they feel - it shouldn't be mean or malicious but a technical observation.
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

I thought I was being fair and honest, offering both the positives and negatives of the book. At least, that's what I tried for.

The review in question I mentioned, that made me paranoid was on the Snaz group and that devolved so quickly into an argument about people with vested interests reviewing the book. I do agree that it wouldn't be objective but not enough for people to work into the tizzy they did there.

The photos really aren't clear, and several of the same ones are used over and over.

I agree completely with the photo expectations. Especially for those who are visual learners more than word absorbers.

Last edited by Lynnie on Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong name...whoops!)
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 pm

But the COST of the book seems extremely high to me, when compared with other face painting books that are of higher quality printing (paper and photography).

I have not seen the book in person nor likely too (until my next conference or convention which is I don't know when)... but for that much money I want full on glossy with a hard cover.

And I think what was causing the commotion was that there was a rather critical review which was rebutted by a glowing one from someone with a vested interest - so a bunch of people got a little hot under the collar about an apparent bias... and honestly, a review is a review and the opinion of the person making it. The author really shouldn't be taking it personally - although that is difficult - but people are enititled to their opinion when they have spent their money on something that turns out NOT to be what they thought it was.

IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I really don't like the way the whole thing went down- i don't know any of the people involved personally -but if you spend money on something you have a right to review it. But then SF turned around and offered free shipping on the book. Any thoughts on that?

And yes for the price it should be 100% professional grade.
Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 pm

I stopped following the SF thread, and it isn't where I bought if from so I didn't know about the shipping. I think it's a ploy to try to unload it and appease the ones who are vested in it, but that's just mho.

I think that this book was never destined to be a great seller anyway, because it really is a very specific audience for it, so perhaps those with a vested interest were a bit emotional over bad reviews knowing this? However, they should have paid more attention to important points (like photo clarity) to help keep such things at bay.
*shrug* I dunno.

I do agree Shannon, the cost of the book does not reflect the quality, which is why I think it's one of the things where one must truly assess their need and what they will get out of it.
Reviews are only opinions, absolutely, which is why I rarely listen to them about movies Wink... but with this stuff, where we are limited in our exposure to it, I do try to read about them as much as I can...and share when I have one.

I probably should have added this to my review, but I didn't think about it until now:

Skip this if:
- you want to use this for a booth or speed lines
- you need images to learn from or have a hard time learning from words
- you want ideas for simple jewelry

Get this if:
- you do any involved jewelry work for salons, spas or formal work
- you can learn from the written word
- you want to refine your 3D skills
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 pm

I learned how to paint jewelry from Ambah's class @ FABAIC in 2009. Never bought the book. Came up with my own desgns and perfected a few for speed to do. I have a necklace, a bracelet ,and a crown as part of my regular designs.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri May 07, 2010 4:47 pm

I have to commend all of you here for your respectfulness and professionalism. It is so nice that we can have a thoughtful conversation about a topic and it not get all nasty and backbiting. Thanks so much guys!
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LillyW Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Lynnie Smile

Great review. Thank you for the feedback.

As to the reviewer on the Snaz forum, it was hard to take that a realistic honest review. That person said there was no Step-by-Step (which means she did not see over half the book), and the illustrations looked as if I did them in crayon. Really? Bring it on when next we meet - my crayons against yours ::😁::

I have NO objections to honest reviews, like Lynnie's. Even if I don't agree with it all, she very obviously read the book, and has clear, thought out opinions. That is what I consider an excellent reivew. I have written 20 books, I have learned to deal with the fact that not everyone likes what I like.

But, flat out lies are quite another thing. For that reiviewer to PRAISED on the Snaz forum "un-biased" thoughts. Please!

The Snaz forum standards say: "No one, in ANY WAY associated with the author can post a review." Well, that means none of you, or any of the 400 people on my own Forum can say what they think about the book. And by the way, neither should that reviewer as she and I had a heated arguement over something else at one point.

Still, I kept silent. Then, Heidi Bennett posted her thoughts. The powers that be jumped all over her saying she had a "vested interest." What is her interest? She proofed the book for free, along with 8 others, and had 1 photo in the book. She did not receive a dime from the book or from me. Her review was not gushing, just her thoughts. Still, I can see the point that she is more connected to the project than others. But, to call her shady, and a shill - even though she said upfront what her association was. That was uncalled for and what started the hoopla. Her friends jumped in, my friends jumped it. FYI, I called and emailed everyone involved and asked them to just please STOP.

Heather Banks of Silly Farm found out about what was going on (not from me), and tried to tell her side. Her remarks were rejected, as were mine.

Unbiased? It did not feel that way to us.

As to sales, Silly Farm just ordered another 50 books yesterday, as they are almost sold out and need more for FABAIC. Their first order was for 200. They do a FREE SHIPPING offer every month, and offer one of their popular items. This month was just my 3-D book's turn.

Since the Snaz group will not let Heather's thoughts be heard, here you go:

----- Forwarded Message ----
> From: Heather -Silly Farm
> To: anne.ardern anne.ard...@ntlworld.com
>
> Cc: Snaz Group
> Sent: Thu, April 29, 2010 12:34:29 PM
> Subject: Re: [FPHQ] Re: Book Review - Jewels & Necklaces by Lilly Walters Schermerhorn
>
> Hi Guys
>
> Yes, I sell the book. But I handpick everything I sell. Lilly sent me the book before it went to print and I was amazed. I have so much trouble creating depth with my face and body paint, and I feel like this book did it for me.
>
> It is well written, thought out, the pictures are large and clear and CLEAN.
>
> I don't need to write a raving review for the book to sell, far worse books fly off my shelves. My honest opinion is the book is AMAZING! I might never paint jewelry like Lilly but the tips, shading, color selection and instruction is really helpful.
>
> This is truly one of my favorite books of all time. Job well done Lilly.
>
> Happy painting
>
> Heather Banks

So, are the desigs easy? Well, my idea was that you would see a complicated design, with perhaps 3 pearl diamond pendants, and realize you can do it with ONE pendant pretty quickly.

What I have found it that by practicing the elaborate designs, my own skills are improving by leaps and bounds.

I just got this yesterday, pretty funny ...

Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:35:43 +0000
To:
Subject: 3-D book

Hi Lilly,
I am just now getting around to sending this to you and thought everyone is probable done with subject. BUT, Just wanted to let you my thought.

First, I have not seen the book and I really don't know your work. I am a brush face painter. I am an Airbrush Painter.

You know that I have my opinions and I am not afraid to let others know. But I would never trash some one else's work or product. I was taught by a professor a long time ago that that is the best form of flattery and the meaner they are the more they are afraid of your success.

I looked at the photos and thought they were clear and did not look like a crayon. So I did my own test for you. OK, I did it because I thought it would be fun.

I printed them on a laser copier. Took them to a craft fair and asked the different jewelry booths if they would consider selling your jewelry. And this is the answers I got.

Love the 3 pieces, but her booths does not sell expensive jewelry like that.

How quickly can you send them to him as he has a show in NM 1st wk of June and how many more different pieces can you send. He knows the clients at that craft fair will buy them all.

Loved the top one and can you make designs that other give you.

My favorite was the last one. I couldn't afford them.

When I told them they were NOT real jewelry, they all said "your lying" to " One even asked if this was Candid Camera.

Now that is the true test if your product is good, when the public can't tell the difference. They face painters only care how it was made. The customers don't care how you put on the paint, they just care about the end result. Does it look real!!!

Got to love it.
Love to do a job next to you and watch you paint.
Keep printing those books. Your helping a lot more than you know.

Sandee Gee
_____

Keep those reviews coming - good and bad - I love them all, and appreciate you all for your HONEST thoughts.

- Lilly Walters, 909-398-1228
Henna Tattoo Artist, Face and Pregnant Belly Painter http://www.funfacepainting.com

Books and Face Painting Classes http://www.funfacepainting.com/book.html
LillyW
LillyW

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2009-12-06

http://www.funfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri May 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Lilly,

I think you have every right to comment on the review if you wrote the book, but PLEASE do not drag the Snaz forum drama here. I think the folks on here are foward thinking enough to disregard bad information and draw conclusions for themselves.

And although I don't agree with your posting Heather's remarks, I will let them stay because I don't want to be accused of Heather not being able to be heard. She is actually a member of this forum and is more than welcome to post her own comments. I would much rather she did than someone else post them without her permission. But that is between you and her.

Good luck on the book.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Metina... Smile I agree. It's one of the things I really like about this forum, the lack of drama.

Lilly, my pleasure Smile I'm just glad you weren't offended by anything I said.
The book actually gave me so many "DUH!" moments, things I knew but didn't employ, things as someone who works with jewelry I should have thought of but didn't. It made me laugh actually.

I've started applying several of the techniques to designs to use on my barefoot friends (I know several people in the barefoot alliance lol) to create foot and ankle jewelry in stains as well.
I've also taken to layering some "heavy metal" bracelets over henna (especially for my bellydancer friends), which makes for amazing layers.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Fri May 07, 2010 5:26 pm

OMG do I really need to know all of this I just want to know if the book is worth me spending money on -please no more drama.
Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri May 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Magic,

Forgive my embarrassing geography skills, but how close is Rochester to Westchester? Maybe you guys could meet for you to take a look at the book.

Lillie are there any scanned images of any of the interior to give Magic a taste?

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LillyW Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Lynnie Smile Your review was great, I am not the least offened.

Metina, sorry the drama from the Snaz forum was dragged here. Since it was, I felt I should respond to your memembership.

But, the topic is over hashed now.

There will be TONS of the books at FABAIC if anyone wants to see them.

Henna Tattoo Artist, Face and Pregnant Belly Painter http://www.funfacepainting.com

LillyW
LillyW

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Unfortunately Rochester is no where near me because I love meeting my fellow painters.

The tighter you hold something the longer it stays stuck to you -this bad vibe has damped my interest in this book. I'm not saying it's a bad book but from where I sit I don't want to put my money into the pot.

I have studied jewelry illustration by Omar Torres of Bulgari and Sandra Boucher of Harry Winston/Tiffany so I have most of the basics down after all these years - I was just looking for techniques using makeup because it doesn't have the same translucense as the paints I use when working on vellum.

I am just glad I am not the publicst on this project. That first review would have been forgotten by now if it was just left alone and followed by a good one.

I really like this forum because for very few instances artists are allowed to speak freely, everyone is very supportive, and there is no drama. I am a business owner trying to figure out how to maximize my talent to support my self and my family, I'm pretty easy going-opinionated -but still easy going, and enjoy watching everyone grow and be sucessful.

and for crying out loud IT"S PAINT PEOPLE this is suposed to be fun!
Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Lilly, I can't wait to see your book & take your class at FABAIC!!!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Sorry it isn't closer Magic. Maybe Lilly can bless us with a few scans?????

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 pm

I'd love to meet up too, but yeah...6+ hours is quite the drive innit? Wink

Last edited by Lynnie on Sat May 08, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by LillyW Sat May 08, 2010 1:06 am

Metina, There is a PDF at my website, a teaser, with about 8 pages, photos, and a step-by-step of one of the easy designs.

Linda, can't wait to meet you. BUT, how did you CHOOSE me? Have you seen that amazing schedule? When I am doing the dragon necklace class, there are 3 tracks. Marcela/Heather in one, Jinny in the other - then little me - proably ALONE in the third! At least the other two are repeat classes, so maybe a few of you guys will come visit. But YIKES!

Looking at the schedule, I am ringing my hands over which classes to go to. At least when I am teaching or assisting it is easy to know which class to attend. The rest of the time there is just TOO much good stuff going on!!! I mean way too much. I looked at it thinking I wanted to go to EVERY class ::::sigh:::::

I have heard that people tend to jam all night after the classes, and nobody gets any sleep because they have too much fun. Can't wait to find out!

Any way, I love to jam. So, even if you can't attend my class and get the workbooks I have created, you can come and jam with me. I am sure I will be doing a bunch of the necklaces. Also, if I have any workbooks left over, you are welcome to one, just find me.

Also, I will be painting in the SillyFarm booth here and there, so we can catch up there Smile)

LillyW
LillyW

Back to top Go down

Post by Debi's Doodles Sat May 08, 2010 2:14 am

I got to meet Lilly at the last jam near me last month and got to see the book, well actually it was just single pages at that time since it was not off to the printer yet. I didn't read the pages cyclops , well cause so much was going on at the jam but I did look at all the pictures and I can comment that the images looked nice and clear to me.

Heres a pic I snapped that night at the jam to show a sample of her spider necklace...looks way awesome in person and with the iridescence glitter, wow. Shocked
3D Face and Body Painting Jewels & Necklaces- Lilly Schermerhorn Fudds_13
Debi's Doodles
Debi's Doodles

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.debisdoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat May 08, 2010 7:02 am

I have a pretty good grasp on arty cakes (that's is a repeat class)& I understand light theory pretty well. I want to get better at jewelry. Up till recently I never really paid much attention to who was big in the face painting community, so I haven't reached to "ooohs & aaahhhhs stage". So, I picked my classes out of what I want to learn more than who I want to learn from. Besides, if you have abook & are teaching something you must be pretty good! Though, I was considering cloning so I could make all the classes Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by LillyW Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 am

Debi! Thank you for posting that spider necklace. Not my best work, and you are right, WAY better in person :::::sigh:::::: Photos - the challenge of face painters.

That San Diego jam was GREAT. I wish you guys were closer. Two hours is just too far - even for addicts like me. Still, I will probably make the drive again some day.

Glad Anabel and the others down there got it orgainzed.

LillyW
LillyW

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sat May 08, 2010 11:10 am

Psalmbook, even if you do get to an ooooohs and aaaaaahs stage, that is still the best way to choose classes, imho. You get more bang for your buck that way I think.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next