Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Painting in Clown

+9
Megan in slc
magicnewe
Perry Noia
ChangingFaceDesigns
polkadotmikki
cmeexpressions
michellesfantasyfaces
Psalmbook
contrachapado
13 posters

Go down

Face Painting in Clown Empty Face Painting in Clown

Post by contrachapado Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm just wondering how many of you started out face painting while in clown. That's how I started, but I've decided to switch over to business-casual dress instead. I'm not that experienced yet, so it's really difficult for me to do a good job painting and stay in character as a clown. I'm still willing to do it, but only for an extra fee. Wink
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Face Painting in Clown Empty Re: Face Painting in Clown

Post by Psalmbook Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 am

That is where I'm at. I honestly have met so many awesome clowns & really I was a face painter in a costume. I don't like to say I'm something I'm not. I'll also admit it's just to darn hot in FL, in mid-summer, in a clown costume & wig(mine is very heavy). I had a heat stroke moment 2 yrs ago & have rethought the clown costume. Maybe one of those light weight Sillyfarm ones... I'll wear my costume indoors if I must, but for a fee. I'm working on a lighter weight whimsical costume idea involving butterfly wings & a tule(sp?) skirt.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 am

I never painted as a clown, although I someties dress in the theme...for example tomorrow I'm painting in dutch colours orange, red, white and blue and I'll be wearing wide orange trousers and a funny white blouse...maybe even a orange inflatable wig... Very Happy
and I'll be putting a nice eyedesign in those colours on my face...that's what I usually do...
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by cmeexpressions Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 am

I can't do a clown. Always been a bit leary of them since I watched Poltergiest at age 5 with baby sitter. I still don't care for those large character costums such as Mickey Mouse. You never know who is in there. Evil or Very Mad

Glad you guys are willing to do that for kids. Some love it. I will have to pass.

Carey Emory
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by polkadotmikki Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:33 am

"I was specifically told there would be no clowns. There's nothing scarier than a clown. " Sarah Jessica Parker- SITC
LOL geek
I'm working on something fun... I was thinking a tie dyed shirt with black jeans? But I just wear 'all black' now and fun, colorful earrings and my face is painted colorfully.
polkadotmikki
polkadotmikki

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.polkadotpartyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:20 am

I have never painted as a clown, that is not my forte. But I am all about the sparkle & shine. My T-Shirts I wear are all blinged out. Got the idea from the shirts sold at SF. Amazing what you can do with a pack of rhinestones and a hot iron..... whooo hooooo! I also have decorative pieces for my hair and of course my boas. And lastly I will painted something on my face or body and a glitter tattoo as well.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:28 am

I started with balloons and added the face painting later... it is very rare that anyone is afraid of my costume. Some very small children are uneasy at first, but from there it all depends on how you present yourself to them (speak quietly, get down to their level, do not approach them but let them come to you....)

I don't have a lot of trouble staying in character because I've kept my character fairly simple as an exaggerated version of me. And I've NEVER worn a wig. My hair used to be dyed pink but at one point I changed it to a purplish brown and nobody even noticed... so I decided that the costume was enough that nobody cared what my hair looked like. I also don't wear an august base, just the white, pink and black makeup.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by magicnewe Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:22 am

I don't plan on wearing a clown costume. I've actually considered wearing just comfortable scrubs-- something I won't mind getting paint on. Dickies makes some really cute styles now.

I thought at first being a "fairy" but I thought that would be awkward and/or uncomfortable with wings when trying to paint.
magicnewe
magicnewe

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-04-06

http://www.magicbydanielle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by polkadotmikki Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 am

perry... I hope you weren't offended.. I just like the episode with that quote in it... it's funny to see SJP with the clown and the other clown 'stuff' in that episode.
i have bright red hair- it's mine... so I look like I have a wig on at all times Wink lol clown
polkadotmikki
polkadotmikki

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.polkadotpartyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:54 am

I'm certainly not offended.... my sister is coulrophobic, so I'm used to it. I just don't like when parents presume that the kids will be scared when they've never seen a clown before. Most of them think it's great and if they are uneasy, it's often because the parents attitude made them uneasy.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Megan in slc Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 pm

I started as a clown and added face painting a few months after. I love painting in clown because I am actually funnier when I have my costume on then when I am not. I have had kids that have been scared of clowns before come up to me and be ok. I usually have someone that is not in clown with me. I will paint either way. I have yet to do a big festival face painting though. This may change after that!
Megan in slc
Megan in slc

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-04-24

http://www.clownarific.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FantasyFunFaces Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 pm

I never did the clown thing. In most instances, my contacts are concerned if I do dress as a clown! I don't know what it is here but it seems to scare most people. I know that's not the intention however. I have several insignificant costumes though a fairy, a renaissance princess and recently I just wear a smock type shirt with an artist's beret and everyone's happy!
FantasyFunFaces
FantasyFunFaces

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.fantasyfunfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 pm

I used to, but I killed her. Got fed up with the time to get dressed and made-up. And I developed allergies to pretty much all the make-up I was wearing - mascara, powder, etc.

I will still dress-up as a character but for extra $$$ and I don't make a point of advertising it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm just curious... I'm doing my first non-clown face painting gig today (I've done balloons in my non-clown character, but not face painting).... how do you see it as much different when you paint your own face than someone being in clown? I know it's a different kind of makeup in application, but it's still covering your face in a way that some kids might be uneasy with, so I'm not totally seeing the connection with clown makeup being scary but a full face tiger isn't?

I'd paint something pretty on myself today, but I've been specifically asked not to wear makeup today, so ... I'll just be really jealous of all the pretty faced kids and me with just my plain old wrinkly self. Sad
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Being a clown requires being in character... if you are doing it properly. Face Painting in Clown Icon_clown

Wearing face paint is decoration only. Face Painting in Clown Icon_flower

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Pretty much my standard look in either all white or all depending upon how hot the Sun is that day if I am outdoors......lolol I may play around with the colors of the boas & hair thingys........ but this is pretty much me. I try to keep everything else to a minimum since all my shirts are blinged out and whether or not I wear a face design.

Face Painting in Clown Facepa26

next
Face Painting in Clown Facepa27

lastFace Painting in Clown Facepa28
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Well I KNOW it requires being in character as well... I'm just commenting because some had mentioned kids being afraid of clowns and that being their reason for not wanting to do it.

My party today, the birthday child was EXTREMELY shy which is why they requested no makeup on me. And while she was ok saying hello to me and talking for a little bit, when I started painting her friends, she was NOT happy... the two kids painted as spiderman freaked her out completely and I didn't see her for the rest of the time I was there. The parents didn't blame me or anything, it's just the way things work out... we sent a balloon that she wanted to her even if she wouldn't come out again.... I'm not complaining either, they gave me a $40 tip on top of the charge.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:57 pm

I don't paint in clown because I'm not a clown. To me, clowning is an art, ans I'm not gonna do something unless I do it right Smile

I just dress in fun and colorful clothes... polo shirts w/ black slacks and funky shoes!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 pm

I am a clown, but I rarely am a painting or ballooning clown at festivals anymore... It's just too hot and uncomfortable. I can stay in character just fine, because, as Perry said, my character is just an exaggerated extension of myself. Also, at festivals, you just don't know what you are going to get in the way of crowds and customers. BUT I do have a full color picture of myself and my mom in clown in plain sight in the booth so people know we are clowns as well, which also helps with booking parties. If I am not in clown, I paint myself with a design that complements my outfit for the day (Usually nice pants or new jeans and a nice shirt or blouse with matching jewelry).

I don't think it's so much the CHARACTER as the outfit and makeup that scare kids. If they have never seen a clown before, or don't see them often, it's very strange for them to see someone who is wearing those things, and they may not adjust well to new things. They simply don't understand what the clown is or what he/she is all about, and really, when it comes down to it, isn't EVERYONE afraid of or not very liking towards some things they don't understand? It's human nature, so you win some and you lose some; it's just the way things are.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:02 pm

ChangingFace: I like the feathers in your hair. It gives you a very festive look!

Perry: When I paint myself for a face painting gig, I like to keep it fairly simple. Maybe a pretty eye design or something; definitely not full face. It's more comfortable for me, I don't have to worry about sweating it off, or accidentally smearing it. So for me, kids can see that I'm just a regular person with a little decoration added.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:14 pm

I always mean to paint my face for a job, but by the time I remember to do it my whole kit is packed and it's time to go.
I really need a stay at home kit just for this purpose but I really have only bought what I need and nothing more.
Even more stupidly I think to myself 'oh I'll do it when I get there and I'm setting up' but the kids are awlays ready before you are so that never happens either........ kinda like me taking photos..... it just never happens and later I have the 'Doh! it's too late' moment.
I guess you can tell organization is not my best skill.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 am

Thank you for the kind words @ contrachapado.

I just wish I could get my hands on some more in different colors. I got them at one of the vendor tables at the FABAIC last year in Florida. I didn't go crazy getting alot of them because I wasn't sure how good they would look or If I would be able to find the matching boas.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 am

I actually found several different colors at JoAnn Fabrics. They had metal claw clips.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down