Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overwhelmed

+3
JBax
Perry Noia
pjhamel
7 posters

Go down

Overwhelmed Empty Overwhelmed

Post by pjhamel Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:51 pm

So this is pretty much an actual conversation that I had about a week ago, that may or may not have been the best thing to happen in my life since my trip to Argentina a few years ago. I was speaking to the event chairwoman of my city's parks and recreation program when I mentioned that I was a face painter. She said that they had face painting at every event and that it was very popular, but when she said that the park staff did the painting, I went and opened my big mouth...
"What type of paints do they use?" I asked. Mind you, I was only making simple conversation. I had called her to see if my church youth group could set up a booth at an event, and we had somehow made our way to this topic.
The woman paused for a moment. "Oh, you know. Just regular paint."
"You mean like craft paint?" I blurted out, unable to hide my surprise.
"Yes, why?" She could tell that I didn't like this fact. "Is there something wrong with it?"
"Well craft paint isn't really supposed to be used on skin. It isn't very safe, and many people might have adverse reactions to it."
"Well what type of paint do you use?" She asked.
"I use cosmetic face paints made with FDA approved ingredients," I replied.
The voice on the other end was silent for a moment. "Hey, I have an idea," she finally said. "Why don't you do face painting for our events? You wouldn't have to pay to set up a booth, and you could charge for it and keep your profits."
...And that, friends, is how I now have several events lined up starting next month. The only problem being that I am just now starting my business, and now I am completely overwhelmed.
Some of these events are supposed to draw over a thousand people. How am I going to manage it? Should I hire an assistant? Which designs should I offer? How much should I charge? How am I going to accomplish everything I need to in order to set up my business within the next twenty days? I am freaking out here.
So basically, I am coming to you guys, the experienced masters of the paint brush, and begging you for guidance. I am extremely excited about this, but I have no idea how I am going to accomplish it.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Overwhelmed Empty Re: Overwhelmed

Post by Perry Noia Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm

I would say start with what you've got for now. At least until you see what kind of demand there really is. Set your prices and see what happens, you may find that you can actually handle the number of people that will pay for it or are even interested. If not, you have several dates and you can let them know, "wow, next time I'll bring a couple more face painters."

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to get yourself 5 more painters and find that you really didn't need to. Do they have a shelter for you or do you need to get a tent? Other than that, all you'll really need is a table, chair, paints, brushes and water.

Decide on about 10 designs that you can paint well and you can limit yourself to those or if you feel you aren't being rushed by a huge line, you can take time to do special requests. Most people seem to have 2 or 3 prices based on the size of the design (cheek, half face, full face or cheek, full)... I do cheek/half and full and I have a few designs that are super quick and only one or two colours that I do for uneasy kids or really little kids and often don't even pull out as an option at most events, just use as needed... those are only $2 if I do them... the rest are $5 and $8... many people around here charge $5 and $10.

So, don't freak out, focus on a list of what you need for just YOU for now... paints, brushes, sponges, mirror, water containers, wipes, list or samples of designs, cash box with change, table, chair, shelter (if not provided). Decide what you want to charge and have business cards ready to hand out. I usually also bring a print out of the snazaroo safety page because it says why professional face paints are safer than craft paints and cheap face paints.

You'll be fine. If you find after the first one, that you couldn't handle the line up or that people were leaving because it took too long, then decide if it needed one more painter, two more painters... go from there. I'm sure there are other face painters around that would join you if the demand is there.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Breathe. This is a good thing. The more you do it the better you get. And, I read somewhere only 10% of the crowd will want painted. So, instead of thinking in terms of "thousand" think, Hundred.

You could probably use an assistant to help manage the line and take money for you, but I usually get a friend or my hubs to do it. You could make a menu, couple of girl and boy designs each, and an animal or two. Kids are usually happy with what you give them, and if they've been used to craft paint, they'll love you.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Maybe we can all show her all of our 'quicker' designs....

Here are mine...

[img]Overwhelmed Quick_10[/img]

I wouldn't hire someone to help you... I would however bring a friend to help you collect money and get you drinks and help out a bit... Maybe you could offer to buy her lunch or give her a $50... Something along those lines... You could also incorporate glitter tatttoos... those go pretty fast.

It will be simpler than you think Smile
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:08 pm

these were all done in less than 5 minutes each (and that was taking my time)
Overwhelmed Facepaintingsample2
Overwhelmed Facepaintingsample
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Thank you guys so, so, so much. I made a list of things that I need to get and plan on ordering them all next week. I've also convinced my little sister and her friend to help me. One will handle the money and I will teach the other a couple more popular designs. With two people painting and one running the money and the line, it should be much easier.

JBax wrote:Breathe. This is a good thing. The more you do it the better you get. And, I read somewhere only 10% of the crowd will want painted. So, instead of thinking in terms of "thousand" think, Hundred.
That will only apply to one of the events, unfortunately, the others are geared towards kids and the high numbers apply to the children supposed to attend. Luckily, the first event that I will be doing is the smallest one(only a couple of hundred people), so I will be able to test the waters, so to speak, before I dive right in.

As for the pictures, you guys rock! I was thinking of offering 15-20 designs. Maybe 5 full face, 5 half face, and 10 cheek art. I'm trying to put together a list right now, and then I have to take pictures and make a sample board.

Again, thank you so much. Your help is extremely appreciated.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain-Savvy Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:23 am

I'm glad to see youre feeling better about it. Just think of it as an awesome opporotunity! Best of luck!! Very Happy
Captain-Savvy
Captain-Savvy

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://captain-savvy.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:29 am

good luck!...I have some jobs ahead of me...but I'm never sure of the next one...
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Seriously DO NOT WORRY.

On average a TINY % of people who go to events want painted and less want to pay/ wait for it. Aside from parties I don't do events with less than 10,000 expected people as otherwise its often a waste of time for me.

I just finished 16 hr days painting all week at the Hong KOng rugby 7s (70,000/ day crowds) leading a team of 10 painters and tho its a family event where all the fans go in fancy dress or want their teams on their faces, we had slow patches.

You can only do as much as you can do. Yes you will prob have angry parents, thats a given, but put it this way - will their kid suffer / die from NOT getting painted? I think not...

If you can get a queue manager, do, and f you are really worried make it clear you only do a few designs and they have to choose before they reach you.

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down