Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funding your business - more vent then anything!

+25
AngieAnders
BarbieSmith
FunFacesbyLori
shimmer20
Tash
Psalmbook
ChangingFaceDesigns
aprilmoonflower
EerinArts
CreateFaces
Winger1200
michellesfantasyfaces
contrachapado
cbfaceart
Metina
JBax
Ashley Pickin
pjhamel
Just Jenny
Perry Noia
Magic
Criss
Rosenberg-Cox
modernmagik
CABBYJ
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Funding your business - more vent then anything! - Page 2 Empty Re: Funding your business - more vent then anything!

Post by contrachapado Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:11 pm

I hear you, April! If I told my husband exactly how much my kit cost, he'd probably have a heart attack.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Funding your business - more vent then anything! - Page 2 Empty Re: Funding your business - more vent then anything!

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:39 am

My first gig was my company's annual childrens holiday party. My friend in HR knew I did FP as a hobby and asked me to volunteer my services. So in lieu of paying me they offered to buy my paints.... So I was like a kid in a candy store. They did that for 2 years and that is how I got the bulk of my kit. So I was very fortunate and blessed in that regard. Everything else I added in over time especially after having attended FABAIC and seeing live demos of how things really work and look.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:34 am

CABBYJ wrote:I've been making my purchasing using the excess money from my day job. My husband and I have become fans of Dave Ramsey and are on our way to becoming debt free! Very Happy I'm usually fairly creative with coming up with ways to raise money but I'm finding myself at a dead end, or it could be my lack of patience and desire to get the business rolling. If you don't mind answering how were you able to fund your completed kit? Did it take a while?

We love Dave Ramseys! We have 1 credit card left to go & 3 yrs on our mortgage before we are debt free!!!!!!

I take a percentage of my earnings & put it my "envelope". It is my replacement & upgrade $. We also took a portion of our income tax return & designated it to the business as an investment(this got my tent & chair). When my girls balloon twist or do glitter tattoos & charge enough to have replacement cost(since these are high consumable items).

Make a wish list so you can remember the goodies you want. Decide your priority items.

Have fun getting debt free & use this awesome business to get you there!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue May 11, 2010 3:12 am

Funding your business - more vent then anything! - Page 2 Set-up11
Good luck and be patient!
Cheryl[/quote]

Do you mind if I ask what is in the six round containers next to your cakes??
Curious...
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Tue May 11, 2010 6:09 am

Tash wrote:Do you mind if I ask what is in the six round containers next to your cakes??
Curious...

Those are water cups.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by shimmer20 Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:12 pm

why do some face painters carry scissors?
shimmer20
shimmer20

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Cutting things.... like, string to tie off a sign or barrier, plastic bags, hanging threads... I've used mine many times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I bring EVERYTHING... I'd bring a kitchen sink if there'd be a place to hook it up.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by FunFacesbyLori Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 am

I started with the Snazz kit from Michaels and moved to the Snazaroo Pro Pallette and Diamond FX black (for crisper lines) and white, silver and gold, and neons. I find a Neon rainbow cake is a timesaver as well. I recommend a square rainbow cake as it lasts longer than the round ones, right Matina?

A number three brush, a couple of good liner brushes, and some flat brushes, and a butterfly brush are good to have as basics. The butterfly brush is in a fan shape and is used to make butterfly wings, and other things.

A glitter pouf bottle of irridescent fairy dust is also a must have. I bought many colors of glitter before I settled on just this one for all gigs. First I ask the child to close their eyes, then I lightly mist the face, then lightly pouf the glitter over the areas I want to accent. Also, gold metallic liquid glitter for crowns, accents, etc.

Eyelash glue or spirit gum for attaching gems is a good thing too.

Q-tips for painting the lips, and baby wipes of course, for cleaning the "canvas" and your anti-bacterial spray/gel for your hands and to spray on brushes between clients. I always wash my brushes and sponges in hot water and sanitize them between gigs.

Some "tack" sponges are a good thing to have, as you expand to doing full and half faces. They are a big time saver. They are high-density little round sponges (i get mine from Michaels) and cut them in halves or quarters for better application of paint.

Hope this helps to give you ideas as you start to grow your business. Good luck to you!
FunFacesbyLori
FunFacesbyLori

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://www.funfacesbylori.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:18 am

I was fortunate in that I was able to get my "perfect" kit right away, but can I tell you something? While it really *is* nice to be able to get anything I wanted, in the end, it was not quite SO exciting after all. I think having to scrounge for each paint or brush or chair would have really made me much more PROUD of my accomplishments with regards to my kit, seriously. After the newness of the purchase and acquisition and sampling of the new item wears off... what are you left with? A kit that works, I dare say, as well as a "lesser" one. But you don't have the pride and memories of having to sweat for EACH and every item!

I think part of the fun and success of the Ramsey method is the PRIDE that you have in doing all of this until it hurts. So definitely keep at the DR stuff, take your time acquiring new things, and do not think that an additional brush or paint would make you all THAT happier Smile

HTH, Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Barbie makes a good point! Having to wait for things you want, and getting items one at a time, really gives you a chance to enjoy them, savor them, and really learn how to use them before moving on to the next thing. Something to think about anytime we jump into a new interest.

I started very small. Of course, I didn't really know what I was missing since I wasn't "plugged in" back then as we all are now. I purchased little things here and there as I went along. I'm very much a tightwad about FPing. I've always considered it a business (albeit a FUN one!) so every purchase had to be justified based on need and ability to earn a profit. Because of that, my kit is still pretty compact and I use everything that takes up space in it quite often. I do envy those who have all of the yummy goodies though! (DX Metallix! Ahhhh! I'm coming, my lovelies...)
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:09 pm

I just read this entire thread and have a different story.

I'd been doing henna for over a decade and was asked to get (back) into face painting by an event I was doing...they provided the paints. I liked it but was afraid of colors (lol) so I decided to go to the first Bodyssey in 2009 to figure this stuff out. I applied for an art grant from our local arts council and...I got it!
(thank goodness for that grant writing class). That paid for Bodyssey and a set of Paradise paints and new brushes.
I remember, very clearly, my first ever workshop- and my first step into any of this- was in a Mark Reid class. He actually made fun of the fact all my stuff was new.

I think I got very lucky somehow but it's an idea for those looking for possible funds. Smile
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I will say that I try to keep in mind that the goal of my business is to make money. It is tempting to get all the pretty colors and splits, and fancy equipment, but I do want to make some money at this, not JUST do it to support my hobby. There is so much out there you don't NEED (particularly in the beginning.) I started with the small Snaz kits from Michael's and only a few brushes and sponges, and "free" business cards from Vistaprint. I did a couple of small festivals and a couple of parties to earn the cash to put into getting a kit of paints. As I work, I use only part of what I make to buy supplies. I earned enough to get more brushes, full color glossy business cards and postcards (like a brochure), brochure holders for the postcards, a banner for festivals (actually one of my first purchases), and more fun colors of paint (metalics, rainbow pots, etc.)

Just keep your eye on the goal. If you want it to be a hobby that pays for itself, it is perfectly acceptable to buy all the pretty stuff, but if you are wanting it to provide some income, take it slow and always think about your purchases in terms of "How much will this help my business?" "Do I NEED this?" "Is it a good investment?"
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Very well said, Gina. At the end of any event I take off a percentage of pay and set it aside as "replacement funds". The rest of the profit I use as I need but it is an income business first, play second for me.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey Cabby,

I think we all struggle with wanting more paint, but here's what I've learned the hard way. I always have more money to buy paint when I put more money into advertising and less into paint. Flyers, posters, post cards, business cards are all very valuable and pay for themselves quickly.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Wow, year later and I have all my paint now! Well not all but I have enough to keep me going. I even bought a tall directors chair. So those who are starting out there is hope!
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jendez04 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 am

Ok, so this post is a bit old, but I had to add to it as I too felt the funding blues. I started out this March, with a tiny wolfe pallette (the $30 ones with miniature square pots), a neon cake, 30g each of white and black, and 2 brushes. The entire purchase came to be about $95 and came with a free rainbow glitter. I used a tiny folding table, the ones used to eat in front of the tube, and two walmart folding chairs I got on sale. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I moved forward. I added to my kit bits at a time until I had no room to store my paints. But I feel that funding my kit wasn't as hard if I bought things little by little. I'd buy $20 worth of products (which we know isn't that much) here and there, and before I knew it, I felt it was more than enough. The real financial pain was getting the money to get the insurance and lisences. Ouch. I wasn't used to dishing out that kind of moolah all at once... now, that was painful!
jendez04
jendez04

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-03-19

http://www.funfacesbyjennie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2