Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing face paint designs?

+2
anniel
Leesh
6 posters

Go down

Sealing face paint designs? Empty Sealing face paint designs?

Post by Leesh Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 am

For this question, I will be referring to design work done anywhere on the body EXCEPT the face. I have a good many teens, young adults, and some adults who like my style. As a result thhese age brackets always want the design (done using face paint) to last a few days, instead of washing off that night in the shower. I have found hair spray works for keeping sweat and the occasional touch from destroying the design fairly well. I've recently started using liquid bandage as well , it does a decent job of keeping the design 'fresh' looking, and it stays through a shower as long as you don't mess with it while wet. Are their products out there actually made to seal face paint designs?
Leesh
Leesh

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Sealing face paint designs? Empty Re: Sealing face paint designs?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am

If they want a design to last for a whole day I suggest theatrical make-up.

If they want it to last overnight, and possibly another day, I suggest tattoo inks. But no guarantees are made.

I won't use sealers on the face.

Face paint is temporary.

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:17 am

Never thought of liquid bandage, that's kind of interesting.

Like Shannon said, Tattoo inks, also airbrush, glitter tattoos are more lasting arts, even henna....

It's nice to switch it out sometimes.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 am

All great ideas for when I'm a "little more up on my feet". You both mentioned tattoo ink, do you mean the same kind as they use in a tattoo machine, just without the needle? I know nothing about tattoo ink, so be gentle with me. Smile
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 pm

No, it is a different, temporary product--and to be honest, I have it, but use it very seldom. It comes in individual colors/as a pallette. The dry is alcohol activated, but you can also purchase it as an "ink" (wet) which I believe is also brushed on.
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 am

Do you not use it often anniel because it doesn't work well, or just not much call for it where you are?
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Temptu, Reel Creations, BIC by Kryolan - alcohol based inks. I've used them a fair bit - great for tattoo cover-up, creating fake temporary tattoos, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks Shannon
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:03 am

I think it is probably me, Leesh, I just don't market it much. But it is b nice to have in a back pocket for a "just in case" I suppose. I w as encouraged by an agent to try it, so I did.
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Thought I would come back with an update.
Today I did a pool birthday party. You read it right. Face and body art at a teens sweet 16 party!!
So. I got the face paint (im currently using all global colors) to stay on in the pool!! I did some experiment at home this week and here is how I got it to work. (It stayed put for all the swimming as long as they didn't rub on it)
1. I cleaned their arms (all designs were body art-no faces!) Legs, whatever with 70% alchol, then dried them with a paper towel.
2.  I next applied a pinch of corn starch powder to the area design was going to be on, rubbed it in, then wiped excess off till mostly invisible.
3. Painted designs as normal with my face paints. Let them dry completely.
4. Applied a light coat of hair spray. To date I have found Aussies  super freeze works best. Waited for hair spray to dry (seconds, it dries super fast.)
5. Applied a thin layer of liquid new skin to the painted skin and just a tiny bit onto the unpainted skin surrounding the design.
All the girls who waited ten minutes to allow the new skin to set completely came out of the pool...after playing volleyball and sweating their brains out as it was 99 degrees today with 78% humidity....with their designs intact!! They were stoked.
All in all, the additional cleaning and corn starch added only 2 minutes to my design times. I still got all my designs done in 6 minutes or less.
Time was important and I wanted to really track it to see if this will be viable in a pay as you go setting, like the fair in two weeks I'm doing. Completely doable as far as I am concerned. The kids swam about 2 hours total. So I see no reason why this isn't a viable solution to keeping designs from sweating off for my young adults, and adults who love the look of the face paint, but want them to last a bit longer.
During my week of testing I found you could remove the design by scrubbing with soap and water.
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Wow, that's so cool! I had to google liquid skin to figure out what it was (I thought it might be an Aussie only thing, but looks like I can pick it up at my local drugstore) Did you apply it with just a brush? Did it smear the paint colors at all?

I imagine that it might get pricey after a while, I wonder where to buy in bulk...?

Edit: THEY HAVE IT IN A SPRAY! http://www.amazon.com/No-Sting-Liquid-Bandage-Spray-61oz/dp/B004E2RBDE/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438464188&sr=1-5
Snickell
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:31 pm

I applied it with the little brush that comes attached to the cap. Here, in NC USA, it's 3.00 and some change for a 4oz bottle- a tiny amount goes a loooong way. I've sealed 27 designs so far, average size 3" wide x 5" long, give or take. I didn't get any smearing after a little bit of practice. If you just lightly brush along, giving even coverage, it doesn't smear the paint at all. In testing, when I tried to apply more to areas still wet with new skin, it smeared a tiny bit. As long as I didn't scrape the design with the stiff little bristles or try to put too much on at once, no smearing. A lite tiny bit goes a long long ways. I'm in US, the hIair spray is brand name ' Aussie' LOL.
I haven't tried the spray yet as store here in town only carries the liquid kind, and I was still in testing phase. Smile
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Herp derp, I can't read.

Sorry, my brain processed 'Aussie' as the place and 'Super Freeze' as the brand. Nevermind that it says your location two inches away from your name... Laughing
Snickell
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Lmao!!!
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:59 pm

What you want is Green Marble Selr
Sealing face paint designs? Mm-1118_lg

I sell a spray of this at a $1 markup to people who want their non-face designs to last longer. Trick is you HAVE to wait for it to dry before touching it at all. But a good coat of this will help the design last through the day, night, and into the next day!
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 am

I had my chemist friend analyze that very brand, thank you forest! The polymer in that particular brand is the (almost) same chemical composition (one valence of difference) as in the new skin.
I am making a rather long drive to a Ben Nye supplier several hours from my home( closest place to me that sells any kind of face paint) on Friday to pick up some supplies. I'm in a area where I have to order everything, then pay shipping on top of it. THAT is why, if I can figure out another method for achieving the same results, I do. It's a very rural area.
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:07 pm

coolio, you are welcome.

though just an FIY, 'Ben Nye' face paint is no better then other wax based face paints, but is twice as expensive. After driving out there, paying for gas, paying the price price and driving back, you probably would have saved more money if you ordered online honestly. :/
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:12 pm

They carry several kinds, including global which suits me here. I do want to try that Tahitian blue BN has though, looks beautiful online. One plus to going to this place- testers, I get to see w my own two eyes. Smile
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:49 pm

The best way to "seal" face & body paints are with sweat barriers and fixing sprays most brands work well, some better than others.  These popular brands are made for use on the body. They can be, and folks do, use them on the face but they contain a high alcohol percent and can, do, sting facial skin.  Try Mehron Sweat Barrier or Kryolan Fixing (fixier) Spray in pump or areosol. These can be applied under and over face & body paint makeup.

For facial application try using Mehron's Skin Prep Pro under the face painting makeup. Great sweat barrier gentle enough to use on children.

While hair spray does work over some face & body painting makeup types and brands your safe bet and most liability reducing method is to use proper makeup sealers.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 am

I was finally able to visit a face paint store, and picked up a small final seal, have to be honest, it doesn't work half as well as anything else I'm doing. As I have said numerous times, i'm NOT sealing designs on faces. As to safety for skin, I see not a thing wrong with the hair spray, or the liquid bandage for arms and legs. To be honest, they both, the liquid bandage and the final seal stink the same to me. Both are safe for skin. I've never advocated using unsafe products, and don't intend to start now. This is an economical solution that is not only safe for these areas of the body, but works like a charm. I live in sweaty eastern north Carolina, if it keeps a face paint design in place here, it ought do so anywhere. The paints I use are: Global, snaz red, fazmataz, and ben nye.
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by mnmorris1953 Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:14 pm

I have been a professional clown for 25 years. I have tried just about everything on the market to stop sweating. I have applied Secret solid antiperspirant to my clean dry skin then applied my clown makeup, then sealed it with a barrier spray (either Kryolan or Ben Nye). However, what I currently use is plain old ordinary hairspray, and YES I use is on my face! Think about this ---when you spray hair spray on your hair it gets on your face, neck, shoulders, etc. It does not hurt your skin. The only place it will sting is if it gets in your eyes, so I close my eyes, obviously. I live in Houston, Texas where the temperatures in the summer months get as high as 100+ degrees and with 75 - 100% humidity. Outdoor gigs are nearly impossible to do, but I guarantee you that my makeup will appear as fresh after the gig as it did when I put it on, if I use hairspray to set it. I carry a travel size hairspray in my face paint kit and I do use it on the faces of people old enough to know to keep their eyes closed when it is being applied. I tell them to hold their breath and close their eyes. I give them a light quick spray and tell them to step away from the area they were in when I sprayed them and breathe again. I have never had anyone complain or get hurt from the hairspray. I do not do this on small children. Only on older kids, teens, and adults. It works!

mnmorris1953

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:59 pm

There is not a huge amount of diffrence over hair spray and fixing sprays meant for makeup. But I suggest professionals - people who charge money for face painting - use products meant for cosmetic purposes.

What one uses on themselves or even models skin when working for trade and fun can be differennt as the concern for liabillity isd greatly reduced,
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down