Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Market stalls

+5
fesspenter
LittleMonsters
jlirie
Forest-Fairy
mrskelly
9 posters

Go down

Market stalls Empty Market stalls

Post by mrskelly Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm at a market this morning and unfortunately it's one of the ones that makes you get there at 6am even though it doesn't open till 8. My question is, what the hell am I supposed to do for the next 4 hours or so before I even stand a chance of a customer? Any hints on killing time?
mrskelly
mrskelly

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-04-10

http://www.sweetpeamakeupandhair.com

Back to top Go down

Market stalls Empty Re: Market stalls

Post by Forest-Fairy Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:25 am

Been there.

I do many things. Mainly I just deep clean my kit. It's all laid out, so i wash the signs, get water droplet marks off all my stuff. Clean all the edges of my one strokes lol. But I also bring a book, or my Nintendo DS Razz .

One time I just covered my stuff with an large cloth put out a sign that said when I was open, put in my head phones on low with an audio book, and took a nap until my alarm woke me up.

But yeah bring a book. :/
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:30 pm

practice?
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:47 pm

You could have yourself covered in a head to toe full on body paint by the time you get your first customer! 6AM would probably be a no-deal for me, lol!
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Shocked lol!
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 pm

I do a market every Tuesday morning in the summer. We have to be lined up at 5am to get our spot. The market opens at 7am. Not too many Mennonites want to be painted at 7am. I do not have any jobs until 10 or 11am. I practice teardrops, one stroke roses, put UV paint over, and under designs, and see how they perform with my handy-dandy UV flashlight, all while listening to my audiobooks.
It is not the most exciting life I have...
and,
I love it!
xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:48 am

and if she stays until sunset, fesspenter glows in the dark.. What a Face
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrskelly Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks for all the insight. Its very interesting how a market works compared to a festival... I had not one person till around 11.30 then I was flat out until 12.30 and then had no one till i was nearly packed up and they were doing the whole " just something quick, please!" and there were three of them..... i spent something like six hours waiting around for one good hour of painting.. My setup needs a lot of work though and that is the focus for this week.
mrskelly
mrskelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:32 am

Time to network! Go talk to everyone. EVERYONE!

If they're creepy politely cut the conversation short. If they bore you, politely pretend to listen until you notice that they've stopped talking. Some of them you'll love conversing with, some of them not so much. Some will ask for your card. You'll learn stuff, see some cool things and get your name out there all at the same time.

Fellow market and festival vendors are an amazing wealth of info about upcoming events and they're also people who might need a face painter at some point. If you're friendly to them you'll be the first person they contact when the need arises.
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mrskelly Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:19 am

Thanks for the tips Kal. Everyone gathers around the coffee guy in the morning because he has a heater and chairs and tables etc. so I will get the ball rolling over there Smile
mrskelly
mrskelly

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 am

Thankfully the two markets I paint at are fairly flexible with the start time... as long as I get there before they collect the money! I normally roll up at around 8.30am with my flask of hot coffee, good book and 'Hot Hands' warmers... by the time I've set up, I normally have a little customer or two waiting for me! Very Happy Because I have a very small set up space required, I can basically slot in anywhere.. no big tent or gazebo to find room for! I really can't fathom why the markets have to start so early!!!! Not many shoppers wandering around at 6.00 am!!!
ambercat
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by soperfect paint Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 am

Yes better option take a cup of coffee to feel fresh before work or you can do your work practice.

www.soperfectpaint.com

soperfect paint

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 pm

After I set up I usually go get a coffee and something for breakfast. Go pay my stall fee. Have a chat with other stall holders on my way back to my stall. By that time my first customers are about ready to be painted. Then it's usually steady/ busy going for the next 3 hours. Usually get a break around 12 so grab a drink if I've forgotten my water bottle. Then it's either quiet for the last hour or a rush qat the end. Some weekends in tourist season I don't even get a break. Love the social connection of it as that's where I get a lot of my other bookings from.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down