Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing your own style

+4
jlirie
anniel
Tineke
Kal
8 posters

Go down

Developing your own style Empty Developing your own style

Post by Kal Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 am

So how long did it take you god-tier face painters to develop your own style? After a year of imitating the greats and following ljy's instructions to the t, I think I'm finally beginning to find my own.

Here's a recent paint on the fly...

Developing your own style Dsc_0910

I like it! It needs to be laid out a little better for aesthetic reasons but I like the way it turned out.
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Developing your own style Empty Re: Developing your own style

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm still working on mine.

I don't watch videos of face painting for instructional purposes at all. I don't really have an interest in copying someone else - I do when a client sticks a photo in front of me and says "I want that." But I can paint anything you want if you show me a picture.

When I started I had a couple of excellent face painting books - I would draw my own versions of the designs in the books and work from those, and I never follow step-by-steps.

I see designs I like a lot and I will inspired to paint my version of it, but generally I don't refer to the photo while painting.

I want to paint it my way - this is an artistic release for me so I prefer not to watch or copy other people's work. I don't mind picking up techniques or tips, and have been strongly inspired on many designs but try to keep my work my own as much as possible.

I've been to a lot of conventions and I don't think I have ever stayed for a whole class... I go to see a particular thing from that artist, and when I see it "oh, THAT'S how they do that!" I'm gone looking for something else or hanging out in the vendors room.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Fri May 08, 2015 3:18 pm

A style of your own isn't (or at least doesn't have to be) a FIXED thing.
I've been painting for 10 years, and my designs constantly change, evolve, ... based on what I see: a facepaint on facebook that has a new line, combo, element that I like, seeing how other artists do some things, a piece of fabric with a pattern that speaks to me, ...

I'm restless, not even able to make exact copies, because I always change things, add things, remove things, and in the end it turns out I just kept some elements from the inspiration, but made the rest my own
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Fri May 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Sometimes I wish I could copy somebody--(I think I am just inwardly, pathetically rebellious)...another reason I like word lists vs. designs for choices. Tineke nailed it--it's always changing. I can't even ever copy myself. (But she said it so professionally/nicely!)
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 pm

i'm definitely not god tier, but i've found my style began to evolve even while copying others.

part of it is that i copy styles i like, so they tend to be similar to my own style.

another is that when i copy someone else's image, my own style kind of gets applied to it. also, i may change colors or details to ones i like better, or place elements of the design in a different way.

then when i started to try out designs from scratch, all those practice things (style, colors, details, placement) turn it into more of an original.

there are a few designs i try to copy exactly, because i think they are so great, one is a spiderman mask i particularly like.

that is a nice rose design, the roses are done well, the colors go together well, and the details are simple and effective, not too busy.
i think it would look good a bit higher up so the top rose was above they eye, get that "around the eye" design thing going on.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 pm

it's a process. I don't think i ever like my own style because all i see are the flaws :p
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 am

I have the same problem FF except there are no flaws in your work lol I tried your awesome cat btw, it failed miserably. I'm gonna have to break it down step by step while looking at it I guess.
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue May 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Dawe Kal, thank you ^.^

I really need to make a youtube channel to show how its done lol. Workin' on it. Razz
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes Wed May 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Oh please do! I'd follow in a heartbeat!
PaintedWingsandWishes
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu May 14, 2015 2:42 am

dawe.... thanks guys! *hugs* I got somethin' in the works, I'm thinkin' it could develop into videos too, we'll see. It's pretty exciting what it is! Can't wait to tell everyone, but i'm going to have to let you stew for now. mah ha ha ha ha.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by tronnor21 Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 am

Oh please, please Forest-Fairy make a YouTube channel! I will pledge at least 50 views a day for your videos Wink I'm excited to find out what you have in store! I already love your blog and posts here. Sorry if this sounds creepy, but I just really admire your advice!
tronnor21
tronnor21

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-11-30

http://taylormclean.wix.com/facepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu May 14, 2015 3:37 am

Oh guys, flattery will get you everywhere. Wink
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellia_michlexis Thu May 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Did someone say youtube!!!! YAAAAS PLEASE!!

This might sound creepy but I trolled your blog all day yesterday.. EVERYTHING!!!

bellia_michlexis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down