Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how long do paints keep?

+2
jlirie
aprilmoonflower
6 posters

Go down

how long do paints keep? Empty how long do paints keep?

Post by aprilmoonflower Sat May 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Some of my paint is going on 6 years old. I have some unopened or never used paints as well..how long will it keep?
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

how long do paints keep? Empty Re: how long do paints keep?

Post by jlirie Sat May 02, 2015 1:03 pm

if it's not moldy and doesn't smell, it's fine. face paints have anti-microbial ingredients (often parabens) to resist/prevent spoilage.

the other issue would be if the texture has changed, but just try using it and see how it goes. if it's really dried out, try adding water and letting it soak in to resuscitate it.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

how long do paints keep? Empty I put some "hard as a rock" rather small pieces of paints in the micro oven for 5 seconds. They became a bit softer, and I was able to somewhat mold them. Now, I can spritz them with water nd again activate them. I might try more seconds in themicro wave

Post by ramona9136 Mon May 04, 2015 2:08 pm

jlirie wrote:if it's not moldy and doesn't smell, it's fine. face paints have anti-microbial ingredients (often parabens) to resist/prevent spoilage.

the other issue would be if the texture has changed, but just try using it and see how it goes. if it's really dried out, try adding water and letting it soak in to resuscitate it.

ramona9136

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Mon May 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Check the bottom of the container. there's a symbol that indicates how long after first use they are guaranteed to keep...
The number is how many months...
how long do paints keep? Expiry-date
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon May 04, 2015 3:28 pm

I think paint is similar to food:

Masses of food wasted—‘use by’ dates mislead
Carolyn Lochhead, San Francisco Chronicle, September 19, 2013
Washington—Americans throw away 40 percent of the food they buy, often because of misleading expiration dates that have nothing to do with safety, said a study released Wednesday by Harvard University Law School and the Natural Resources Defense Council, an environmental group.
"The date labeling system is not a system at all," said NRDC staff scientist Dana Gunders, co-author of the report, the first to assess date labeling laws nationwide.
The report said 90 percent of Americans toss good food into the garbage because they mistakenly think that “sell by,” “best before,” “use by” or “packed on” dates on food containers indicate safety. One-fifth of consumers, the report said, “always” throw away food based on package dates.
In fact, “sell by” dates are used by retailers for inventory control. “Best before” or “use by” dates usually reflect manufacturer estimates of peak quality. While some labels are intended to indicate freshness, none of them reflects edibility or safety, said Ted Labuza, a food science professor at the University of Minnesota who collaborated with the authors.
"If food looks rotten and smells bad, throw it away, but just because it reaches a certain date does not mean the food is unsafe," Labuza said. "I don’t know of any food poisoning outbreak that came from people eating food that was past its shelf-life date."
The report estimated the value of food tossed away at $165 billion a year.
San Francisco collects 600 tons of food scraps each day, or about half the city’s compost waste, said Robert Reed, a spokesman for Recology, the San Francisco company that runs the city’s composting and recycling operation. (The rest is from yard trimmings.)
Labuza said 80 percent of labels that indicate freshness “are guesses from consumer questionnaires” or are based on competitor practices.
Microbes, which cause food to taste, smell or feel bad, often show up before pathogens, he said, which means food is likely to become unappetizing before it makes a person sick. Food poisoning comes from pathogens that can enter the food chain at any point, from field to kitchen counter, Labuza said. Careless handling by consumers or businesses who leave food sitting in a hot car or loading dock are often culprits.

Does that help at all?
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon May 04, 2015 11:38 pm

i can verify that yogurt is still edible a month after it's "sell by" date Smile
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Fri May 08, 2015 9:18 am

Snazaroo says 18 months, but I think is after you use the first time, I repot my paints, even the white and balck, so my stored paints are always unused clean paint.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Fri May 08, 2015 3:12 pm

yes, the symbol of the months indicates 'after first use'
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down