Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New and needing help

4 posters

Go down

New and needing help Empty New and needing help

Post by whimsicalart Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi, I am new to face painting and I need help with my butterflies. Got any tips?

whimsicalart

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

New and needing help Empty Re: New and needing help

Post by LittleMonsters Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Any specific area that you find you need help with?

The nicest thing about butterflies is that even the most simplest design still works and can look great.  They can be very simple, or very detailed and complex.

Without knowing what part you're struggling in, I'd say to look at lots of pictures and watch lots of videos and find what you like and what works the best for you.  Find what style of wings you can do the best and still look great, what shape, what outlines, what details.  Also what body you want to include and the antennae.  Can again be superduper simple or more complex.

Even thought I'm a guy... butterflies are my most favorite thing to paint because they can be whatever color and you don't have to stick to a specific mold and can be creative.

Do you have any pictures of your work?
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:17 pm

good advice from littlemonsters. i would add a few technique tips i've noticed about good butterfly designs, which i am working on myself.

clean linework and details are a must, because they are often the focal points of a butterfly design. sometimes clean linework doesn't mean smooth straight lines, i like the watercolor, abstract kind of technique with wiggly lines. but the wiggliness is deliberate and artistic, like lilly walters' designs.  practice practice practice, using good brushes and good paints.

proper positioning on the face - keep them to the sides of the face and forehead, they don't look good painted close to the nose and between the eyes.

multiple colors and blending often make a butterfly more interesting and finished looking.

p.s. don't put bright pinkish red colors all over the eyes and cheeks, it looks too much like inflammation or a rash!
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:07 am

This post was the biggest help to me in the beginning.  It's from Denise Cold and gives visual examples of professional butterfly painting vs amateur.  It helps you know what to look for in your own work.

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t15032-more-attempts-for-feedback#212931
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:07 pm

thanks, pattyo, i hadn't seen that one, and her tiger one too, they are both great, with the visual examples.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by whimsicalart Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Thank you so much! That really helped. Very Happy

whimsicalart

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down