Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand new needing advice

+2
Psalmbook
martha
6 posters

Go down

Brand new needing advice Empty Brand new needing advice

Post by martha Sun May 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Guess I should be posting in this section instead of intro section. Need advice on colors, brand, and amount of paint I should get to face paint on a mission trip to a struggling church in Arizona last week of June. Extremely dry heat. Been watching all of the videos and worried that the Snazzaro paint I bought won't do well. Need something that won't dry so fast I can't blend since I'm slower. Planning on doing lion, cheetah, tiger, dog, cat and butterfly masks. Thought about black, white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, and green. Any advice?
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Brand new needing advice Empty Re: Brand new needing advice

Post by Psalmbook Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 pm

What's your budget? You can get a Paradise Pallet for $25 -$30 from the forum shop. Metina has very fast shipping & great prices.
For what your doing, the Snazaroo should be fine. Just use it for the spongework. You can get some more round sponges from a craft store & cut them in 1/2. You could also get some black & white DFX from the shop(a 32 oz of each should be more than enough) and just use those for your linework. If you're really concerned about the snaz you can put ice packs under it. I hope this helps(I have a heart for missions & have been to Africa 3 times. My daughters been to New Orleans & Costa Rica & will be going back to Costa in July).
Here's the Paradise Pallet from the forum shop:
http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/servlet/the-Paradise-cln-Palettes/Categories
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun May 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Psalmbook, Thanks for your reply. Africa would be awesome. I went to Brazil and it was a huge eye opener. Budget is going out the window I guess. Have been making a list. I'll be the only one painting for 6 hours down at the park on Day One to try to draw kids to church. Have to be good and quick as well. Going to order: Tiger Rainbow, 1 Stroke Rainbow and Leaf, 32 g ea. Black, White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Green, Royal Blue, Green, Brown, Mid Brown, Purple, and Pink. God has given me so much that I gotta give it my best. Thought I'd do the Tag paint. Any notions?
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Only reason I'm thinking Tag might be better for me to start with is that on one video the artist (think her name was Kim Baker) mentioned that DFX dries super quick. Last time I went to Arizona, I was struggling to keep a wet edge while painting the church nursery. I gotta have a little time to blend.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 am

I am not sure if you would be interested, but you can actually make your own split cakes and it would be cheaper and you could make way more but obviously it would be more time consuming.

I like TAG paint, I think it would be a good choice. I am in a very hummid enviorment, even still I loticed that wolfe dries VERY quick. For me, TAG goes on easier and blends nicely enough.

IMO, for blending I like paradise best. It is very creamy and easy to work with. It is a bit more expensive than TAG and is scented (that bothers some people and others love it)

Though, if you buy more than a pallet you are going to have WAY too much paint if you plan to paint for just 6 hours.
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 am

I replyed in your intro. But would recomend the TAG and DFX for painting in the heat. It's our cool time now but temps are 32C+ later in year to 39/40C+ Also the one strokes are great, get the TAG ones.
Dont forget to schedule in some breaks. Stop and stretch every now and then and don.t forget to drink from your waterbottle. Have fun.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 am

In hot weather it is best to spray your sponge instead of the paint before you apply the paint to the sponge. That way the paint won't become gummy.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Awesome advice. Probable going to get maybe 10 or 12 Tag colors and try making some splits to make my sponging easier. Thought I could make some animal splits then some different butterfly color combo splits. Left over paint can be used with a brush right? Saw Melinda's kit that she made for her splits from the bead organizer. Awesome! Already getting it in my head that you can think outside the box. Gave a too stiff flat brush a bad haircut to do some "hairy" strokes. Found a three tier interlocking storage container at Wal-Mart so I can be a little organized. Am I starting to sound addicted? Plus is a dotter wand worth the money - don't see it being used in any of the videos.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Mon May 23, 2011 6:06 pm

No dont bother with the dotter. Best piece of advice I can give you to improve your dots, teardrops, lines etc is to practise them when you have a spare moment. Just do them on your arm and they will soon be great. Everyday is the way to fast improve. Have a pot of paint and a brush out ready to use. White is good is good for this. Have fun.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 pm

In re to painting in dry heat there are pros and cons to using varied brands.
The stifer beeswax based makeups like Wolfe Fx & Face Art, Diamond or TAG certainly have more staying power on the face - but make for more difficult application. This is true for sponge work or brush, the makeup just dries to fast and you need to be re-wetting constantly. The moist cake makeups like Paradise and Kryolan will provide vibrant color, staying ability and be easier to work with. Sanzaroo is just too soft to have good staying power and workability you need in heat.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down