Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting with bday parties! advice?

5 posters

Go down

starting with bday parties! advice? Empty starting with bday parties! advice?

Post by aprilmoonflower Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

Did anyone start out by painting at bday parties? Any advice for a newbie? Do you make them pay upfront? Do you have a contract or is it all verbal? How did you find your bday party gigs? Also how many designs do you typically paint in a party? (All different or go with a few standards to start?)

I would like to start booking some parties for Spring so I am trying to get this going now! First I need to work on getting some photos! I am making a blog (with photos) I have a URL already and cards made up and then I will just need to create a photo book to take with me..a menu board type thing is over the top for a bday party right?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciate. (Or even just what NOT to do!)
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

starting with bday parties! advice? Empty Re: starting with bday parties! advice?

Post by modernmagik Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am

I set up my birthday party rates based on the number of faces I am to paint.
Small party---up to 10 faces, Med Party--up to 20 faces, and Large Party--up to 30 faces. Then there is a "per face" price for any face over the party limit.
If they do not know hoe many will be in attendance, then it falls back to my set hourly rate and is up to them to hire me for enough time for their event.
This allows me to set the party rates at a slight discount over the hourly rate.....so then it is considered a "package rate".
When I get an inquiry and they want to book, I send out a invoice/contract. They then have to read, sign, and return the contract portion to me with their non-refundable retainer (deposit that is usually about half of the total.....$50 minimum though). When that check clears the bank, then they are confirmed on my calendar for their specified date and time. The remainder of the balance is due at the event.
The retainer is non-refundable, but can be put toward a future event if they have to cancel.....provided that they follow the proper cancellation procedure that is laid out in the contract.

modernmagik

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.wemakefaces.com/

Back to top Go down

starting with bday parties! advice? Empty Re: starting with bday parties! advice?

Post by squiggle Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm just getting started with the birthday party gigs as well but I've done a few now and have several more booked. I sent out postcards to all the local businesses, day cares, restaurants, etc. and the people who have contacted me have actually been the people who work at those places. Evidently they've posted the postcards on the employee bulletin boards. Another way I've gotten bookings is from a craigslist ad I've kept up now (about to post my 3rd). After you get the first few, word of mouth helps book most of them after that!
I have them pay a $25 deposit through the website (most pay by paypal but since I can take credit cards through my regular business some pay that way as well). I have party packages listed on my website, but still have to make adjustments to those once in a while since I'm just getting started and you can never anticipate every kind of call you might get!
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 am

You might also want to ask what the b-day child's interests are, or if the party has a theme.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:03 pm

I mainly do birthday parties(I'm just starting to do big events).
1) get important info: clients name, birthday child's name & age, # of kids, address of location including zip/postal code(GPS is a wonderful thing), I always ask for the best phone number to reach them at if I get completely lost:-), party theme, starting & ending time & date(I put this all in a calendar book)
2) I have a $25 non-refundable deposit & only except cash/money order at the party. People give bad checks.
3) I have a contract that I got from DebbiDoodles(TY Debbie). I tweeked it for me by making the client promise to give me shelter from the elements(sun... rain).
4) I get a lot of my gigs through free online party planing companies. In your google search engine type in face painter or face painting & your city/state & see which ones have top ratings near you. Don't pay for the ads when you start. Only use the free ones. Get your friends & past clients to rate you if the site offers this.
5) Get a website to link to your adds. There are great free ones to start with.
6) I have a variety of faces committed to memory & use those unless the party has a theme. Often kids want to go off theme anyway:-) What I paint depends on the # of kids & size of the party. If it's small I go more detailed. I don't use a photo board or photo book. It takes some kids tooooo long to find what they want. I may change this as I get more pics taken.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down