Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

body paint advice

4 posters

Go down

body paint advice Empty body paint advice

Post by Brendasfacepainting Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi, I've been an observer on this forum for quite a while and have gotten tons of useful advice, thank you!
My business is shifting now from conventional face painting to include more elaborate custom body and face art, and I haven't found the advice I crave on materials. Yesterday I did a painting for a photo shoot, using snazaroo paints, and they didn't hold up well. What do you recommend for durability? We were in the shade, design didn't get touched much, but by the time the last shot was taken 7 hours after application, the paint seemed substantially faded and in parts had flaked and just lacked definition and pure color. I used Mehron Barrier spray on most of it, and it didn't seem to help. (The part where I didn't spray did better, but it was also the last bit painted.) My model was an older woman, so skin had wrinkles. Ugh. The long time span was due to hair styling, traveling to location, shooting in different locations. What should I use next time?? I have another shoot Sunday-- should I reschedule and order new paint? (This one's in studio). I am also interested in advice about what would hold up on dancers and Aerial artists? Favorite web sources of technical info for body painting? Thanks in advance for your help!
Brendasfacepainting
Brendasfacepainting

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-07-22

http://www.brendasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

body paint advice Empty Re: body paint advice

Post by fesspenter Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Dear Brendasfacepainting:
Welcome to the Forum!
If you go into your Profile, above and post your general location, you may get much better advice from your local artists. Every artist has different preferences, and temperaments, so you will find that each of us will give you different answers. None of them are wrong. You have to find what works for you.
Before I give you some suggestions... I will pass along some safety advice when painting aerialists. I helped body paint for the Circo de Bakuza a few years ago, and each of us artists were told to never paint the palmar surface of the hands, and two of them were to NOT have their ankles painted, as our paint may cause slippage, and therefore serious injury.

For brush and sponge application in a hot climate, I use Green Marble SeLR first, as a primer, then paint as usual, saving the creases for last. I have used both wax and glycerin-based paints with success. (White seems to be a difficult colour for me to create good, solid, opaque coverage. I use a kabuki brush, and two thin layers, rather than trying to cover all at once with a thick layer. I personally prefer Kryolan as my white base for body painting.) After painting, I seal it with Green Marble SeLR. The GMS tends to fuzz up my line work a little, and it is easy to fix.

I am loving Pro-Aiire airbrush hybrid paint. No priming. Durable in water, and comes off with soap.

I would love to see the other artists' answers.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendasfacepainting Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Lisa, Thanks for your info! Duly noted about aerialists, that makes sense. All the info is great, and now I've read more about wax vs glycerin too.

I'm interested in other folks' experience too ... ?

Brendasfacepainting
Brendasfacepainting

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-07-22

http://www.brendasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm

1. I would switch to a wax base paint and get some Green Marble SeLr to finish it off. (note that Blue Marble SeLr it better for sensitive skin, like kids).  Mehron Barrier spray is for applying BEFORE you apply specail FX makeup if you model has sensitive skin or would want the application to come off more easily - "Well there's your problem." Yes it can also be used as a sealer, but it doesn't do very much.

Sources:
I'm a body painter and do special FX makeup for TV and Film
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:43 pm

For aerialists, personally I would airbrush: I like Endura--it endures. (Won't rub off behind the knees, etc. like Proaiir has been seen to do.) I take it off with alcohol & terrycloth. It has less alcohol than the pro-aiir, so will give a better coverage, last longer with less product.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am

well if you want airbrush paints then that's a whole other can of worms. Honestly i have never found a brand that i REALLY liked for body paint.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down