Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paradise black

+7
fesspenter
AuntieStacey
Xyphoid
Forest-Fairy
MagicalGlitterkatie
Party Picassos
rgabrielle
11 posters

Go down

paradise black Empty paradise black

Post by rgabrielle Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi, my paradise black has gone all gloopy and goes quite lumpy on the brush. Does any one else find this. Which other black do you like ?
rgabrielle
rgabrielle

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://faceartbyrebecca.co.uk

Back to top Go down

paradise black Empty Re: paradise black

Post by Party Picassos Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Gloopiness seems contagious. I have experience with Wolfe, Tag and Chameleon. Just bought some global and wasn't too impressed with the black either. Make sure not to spray your cake. Just dip your brushes. I have been letting my cakes sit on the windowsill in the warm sun the day after a job to get the make up harder again.
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MagicalGlitterkatie Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:41 pm

My paradise black does that too! but most of my paradises (4) are getting like that Mad I'm going to be getting a FAB set with black soon, FAB is my fave lol

MagicalGlitterkatie

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Put it in the fridge. Wink

(no seriously, this will work)
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyphoid Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Just remember not to put it in the freezer, that wouldn't be good. But put it in the fridge for an hour or more and it should solidify again.

To avoid this in the future, watch how much water you add when loading your brush, as mehron paints love to hold on to excess.
Xyphoid
Xyphoid

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:31 am

How does the paradise black compare to Kryolan? I just got some Kryolan and like it a lot for shading, for around the eyes, and anywhere you don't want a hard line and a lot of trouble cleaning up.
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-09-30

http://www.auntiestaceysfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 am

Both Kryolan and Mehron Paradise are glycerin-based face paint, and they both blend and shade beautifully.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:34 am

i've seen various posts saying paradise black and white are good and are not good for linework.

being glycerin based, how do they perform for linework? better than (x brand), not as good as (x brand)?
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Dear jlirie:
The face paints that I am aware of are either wax-based or glycerin-based.
Glycerin examples:
Snazaroo
FAB
Mehron's Paradise
Kryolan
MAC

Wax examples:
Wolfe
Global
Cameleon
Diamond F/X
TAG

I prefer wax based for linework. You CAN do linework with a glycerin based... it just takes a little bit more practice. Our own esteemed Shannon Fennell uses Snazaroo, and does an amazing job with it.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:41 pm

i may eventually try paradise black, just to see. i have enough wolfe black for the time being. i gave up trying to use snazaroo for linework, too hard No
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 pm

I love Paradise Black for drop shadows. I can use it dry, as a smudge to make a beautiful gradation from black over the base colour (as in my avatar).
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by AuntieStacey Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm running out of Wolfe white. What do you suggest for an alternative and where is the best place to buy it? I'm in N. Ca. Thank you!
AuntieStacey
AuntieStacey

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-09-30

http://www.auntiestaceysfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 am

I like the Cameleon White, available at the facepaintforumshop.com (the colourful rectangle at the upper right side of this column).
Supposedly, if you buy Global White, and also Global liquid white, and put a thin layer of the liquid over the cake, it creates an amazing white.
Global white is available at the facepaintforumshop, and the liquid white is available at jestpaint. I have not tried this tip out in person, yet.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:56 pm

TAG white is my fave. Nice 90gm containers Very Happy

I've always found wolf to be too 'creamy'.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by soperfect paint Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:48 am

Paradise block and shadow work should always look beautiful.

soperfect paint

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Just thought I'd resurrect a thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm a little confused by FP artists saying they're having trouble with Mehron Paradise for linework.  I've only used it a few times, but have been VERY pleased with the results. Super smooth, and very black.  

I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that I live in a very dry climate? When I paint outdoors in summer with my watercolor kit (on watercolor paper, not kids!) the paint dries almost IMMEDIATELY, especially on breezy days. Very challenging!

Since Paradise is glycerin based, I'm guessing this might more ideal for me than wax, as glycerin is exactly what I add to my watercolor paints to keep them "open" and workable for gradated washes, etc. Also, I'm already used to working in watercolor, which is a wetter, gum-arabic based paint (again, more like glycerin) versus encaustic (wax) or acrylic (polymer). So maybe that's why it's working for me.  Or maybe I'm just a newb who hasn't worked with Wolfe, etc. yet and don't know what I'm missing. Heh.  I suppose I need to try a wax-based paint to compare but it's just hard to come by locally.

Anyone in AZ, NM, WY, CO or other super-dry places feel free to chime in. Do wax-based paints really work better for linework where you are? Have you used Paradise black or other glycerin-based blacks? Could it be that some people just are used to wax-based and then have trouble switching? Which linework black do you prefer? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Best,

M
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Meadowlark Paradise can often be to watery and too sheer, that is the main complaint about it for line work.

The dry climate has very little to do with it at all. It is a small factor, but not the main issue.

Paradise takes a bit longer to dry because of the glycerin content. For this reason beginners often find it's easier to use as they are still learning to blend.

More experienced painters often prefer wax based brands because they can blend faster and the paint dries faster. Also the colors tend to pop WAY more than a glycern based paint. I find Paradise it better for special FX makeup applications where you want the colors to be more neutral, realistic, and subtle. And wax based is better for eye catching face painting for children and events. Go bright or go home basically.

I will say 100% that if you have not tried a wax based paint yet... yes, you DEFIANTLY do not know what you are missing. Paradise was my brand of choice at first and all i could do was sing it's praises. But after i added a few one stroke TAG cakes to my kit the difference was night and day, i found myself dipping into the one strokes all the time for things because the color was just SO much better, and i switched over to all TAG pretty much the next month. BEST business decision ever. My work skyrocketed after the switch. It's way easier to use, looks better and brighter, the list of pros just goes on and on. I don't even have paradise colors in my kit anymore, they are just way too bland.

Buy some white and black wax based to start, and see how you like it. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for the experienced advice, Forest-fairy! I've really gotten a lot out of your archived posts here. Smile

Does TAG black work over Paradise base colors? I still have a basic Paradise set that needs to be used up, but not sure if the two kinds of paint media are compatible.

Best,

M
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:48 pm

No problem.

Yes, wax base goes over top of Glycerin perfectly. However the reverse is not true. The wax base underneath will always show through glycerin on top (and white under will make your colors a bit lighter).

This is why it's best to start with black and white when upgrading the kit. You get used to the new consistency and you can still make use of your left over paradise. When you run out of your first color though. Make the switch and by all new wax base. A friend of mine tried replacing one color at a time, and it was a naughty word show. You just can't have an awesome looking green for your rose leaves and have the pink in your roses look washed out right next to it.

Best thing to do is try to sell off your left over paradise to a beginner or something. That's what i did. Even gave some away to friends kids.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowlark Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Again, sound advice. Thanks!

((Goes off in search of suppliers.....))
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Da Lux 808 Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 am

I have been using Wolfe white and black for line work and my first kit I got kryolan colors and have been a little disappointed with them and would like to replace my colors... was considering FAB colors but there isn't a ton of brand color comparison charts... and couldn't find all the colors... would you recommend the FAB paints or what is your recommended brand? I'm doing facepainting primarily.
Maui Da Lux 808
Maui Da Lux 808

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down