Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black?

+3
Tineke
thouartbeautiful
Party Picassos
7 posters

Go down

Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black? Empty Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black?

Post by Party Picassos Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 am

During the summer of 2012, I got caught in a major rainstorm while painting an outdoor festival. I had painted myself as a red, white & blue tiger, making the stripes and lines around my eyes in Wolfe black.

After quickly loading my gear, I had to walk about six blocks without an umbrella or raincoat. By the time that I was in my car, my make up was laughable. The only thing that got less and less funny as I was driving home was my eyes. They were killing me.

I dried off at home and went to another gig. My eyes were screaming and watering like crazy. By the time I was driving home for the night, I felt blind. For the next two days, my eyes really hurt. I blamed it to the makeup washing into my eyes and trying to wipe my teary eyes with baby wipes (isn't there alcohol in it?) A very stupid thing to do.

Since then, any time I have used Wolfe black around my eyes and then wash up, my eyes freak out. I was wondering if I am allergic to it? Was my black makeup mushy and covered up and filled with germs that irritated my eyes?

Just wondering if I am the only one who has had effects from the makeup that we wear. Normal every day make up doesn't bother me and other face paint without black seems ok too. I am honestly afraid to use any black around my eyes (except for regular eyeliner), the pain was too intense for me to repeat that again. No clients have ever complained about it.

How about all of you? Any make up horror stories?
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black? Empty Re: Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black?

Post by thouartbeautiful Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 am

It might be the wipes, not the paint. This is what I figured out from my own similar experience. Either use just regular eye makeup remover or a gentle face wash. Wipes are serious bad news for my sensitive skin.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black? Empty Re: Anyone's eyes sensitive to Wolfe Black?

Post by Tineke Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:42 am

I have serious issues with calgon in the water, it really irritates my eyes badly.
every time I shower, I have dry rash on the edge of my eyelashes en my eyes are red and painful for a while.

I've never had reaction untill I put on a mascara that I seemed to be allergic to, since then I keep having reactions on my eyes
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 am

I am allergic to perfume.
I am sensitive to most make up.
I am sensitive to some face paints.
I am allergic to most baby wipes.

I would view the baby wipes as the first culprit.

If the Wolfe Black is too liquidy, it runs into my eyes. I really really strive to not sob, wail, cry and moan while I face paint. I cry ugly. Snot. Swollen nose. Red blotchy face. Swollen upper lip. And then... the Wolfe Black runs into my eyes. Whoa. Seriously ugly. It feels like there are salt and vinegar potato chips in my eyes.

I digress.
And now...
we return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Suddenly ...I feel like potato chips.
Going back to my box now.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:48 am

Yes, Wolfe irritates badly if I get it IN my eyes. I can no longer wear anything close to my eyeline as I am now sensitive to EVERYTHING.

I do not paint Wolfe black on children at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:41 pm

I realize that using the baby wipes was a big mistake. But other times where there were NO baby wipes in site, I tried Wolfe black around my eyes. Unfortunately, after CAREFULLY washing my face, I experienced the same jellyfish stinging, burning sensation that took forever to leave. No, I don't use the Wolfe black on my eyes. I would LIKE to try something else, but the memory of the pain makes me think that it is not work the potential pain.
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm moving towards trying starblend around the eye area because I hear so many wonderful things. Going on the next order.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by silversky Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Snaz , tag and paradise have all made there way into my eyes when doing a quick wash off and it just gives me blurry cloudy vision but no pain. Wolfe black on the other hand ouch!
silversky
silversky

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2013-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Nice to know that I am not the only one with issue. But if there are enough people with this issue, should Wolfe need to hear about it?
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:34 am

Wina -
Frequently in henna-land we talk about PPD and people that are sensitized to black dye (a side effect of using PPD)...the reactions "snowball" whereas you might initially only have a small hive, but after repeated exposures to black dye (which is in black t-shirts, black towels, black socks) you have MAJOR issues.

By any chance, do those of you having issues with Wolfe black dye your hair?
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I'd say baby wipes for sure, but you said you had a reaction with the same paint and no wipes, so it sounds like paint. I use DFX black, and have had it right up (and in) my eyes. Had no reaction like you're describing, but do have some minor numbness on my eyelids (I've also experienced the issue if DFX is on my lips). Solution: I base coat with TAG white before I put down black. No reaction. I can verify that that "snowball" effect tamarielpaints mentioned... mine is with Advil and pine nuts. Am to the point I can't come in contact with either one, after taking/eating both for years. Weird  No 
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 pm

tamarielpaints wrote:Wina -
Frequently in henna-land we talk about PPD and people that are sensitized to black dye (a side effect of using PPD)...the reactions "snowball" whereas you might initially only have a small hive, but after repeated exposures to black dye (which is in black t-shirts, black towels, black socks) you have MAJOR issues.

By any chance, do those of you having issues with Wolfe black dye your hair?

Um... yup. I can't wear ANYTHING around my eyes - including powders now. I dye my hair pretty regularly with occasional breaks to go au naturel for a bit until I see a photo and cringe, then start dying it again. I've been colouring for over 25 years. Purple, green, blue, pink, burgundy...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down