Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade advertising for Face Painting?

4 posters

Go down

Trade advertising for Face Painting? Empty Trade advertising for Face Painting?

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am

I was offered an event that promised my logo on fliers/ banners etc and all info that went out about the event. I was offered that and in return I was able to paint per face as long as it was low cost designs $3- $5. The event is on Saturday and nothing was done except for them mentioning a face painter.

I confronted them and they are now saying that they are sorry that they would like to offer me free advertising in their printed publication ( a kids magazine/little booklet) and in return I do the painting for free. Grr - I turned down events because of our original agreement and i did mention that I can paint for 'free to customers" at a discounted hourly rate for her. That was sent to her the same time she offered the advertising.

What would you do??
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Trade advertising for Face Painting? Empty Re: Trade advertising for Face Painting?

Post by leapinglizards Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:17 pm

I would tell them what your normal rate is, no discount, or stay home and next time get it in writing.

Now this is just me: I take people on actions more than words. If I was already lied to once, I expect that they would offer MORE to make it up otherwise, I rather expect they will do it again.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Trade advertising for Face Painting? Empty Re: Trade advertising for Face Painting?

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks leapinglizards,
That was pretty much what I was talking to hubby about. I normally do just paid events and it was going to be my first pay per face. They offered me the advertising etc on November 10th and the event is December 14th so that is a whole month of advertising and I was also charging per face. *sigh*
I even gave up a birthday party because I was booked for this party. Grrr
There are a few festivals that I can always do or see if I can pu a party in the next few days.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I'd drop her in a heartbeat, citing breach of understanding.
And why would you offer a discount so SHE can offer your services for free? Was it because of the free advertising? I guess I could see that, but I don't work for free, just to get advertising. I do my own promotion, thankyouverymuch, and people have no problem finding me.
I'd be beyond pissed if I passed up work and had someone bail on me. This is why I only work with deposits and contracts or festivals where I pay a fee to vend.
I sure hope it works out for you.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks - I told her I would no longer accept her offer and said that if she wanted to pay me my hourly rate then I would accept that. I would not trade for advertising. She did offer me some advertising for next month and for me to do my pay per face for only low cost designs. It is a 4 hr gig at a church - Not a major location or anything.
Either she takes the hourly or I will just look for another party this Saturday.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:42 pm

unless advertisement means a commercial with your name and number or website, or billboard with your art and contact on it, I say don't work in exchange for advertisement.

And next time someone breaches contract, raise the price on them in the new one.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks.
She came back offering a blip on her 2 facebook pages once a week and a link from her 2 websites for 6 months and I can charge a minimal amount for paint per face but I just do not think it is good enough. I get visits from my website and CL ads and some from thumbtack. I could always use the $ but the fact is they breached the contract.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Not good enough.I mean, how much business does your fb generate monthly? I get one, maybe 2 gigs. Not worth it, you get way more gigs just doing the event and passing out cards.

Plus, unless $3 a face is your regular rate, you'll be losing money on this gig via your worth to the public..... even in they like what you do, they will do quick math and assume you can be hired for a basic "nothing fancy" kid party of ten for only $30 at that price.

No way. Not unless you are desperate for paid practice.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I agree with Nikki.
This is a losing battle. I don't like to negotiate, and certainly not with people who already tried to be underhanded.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 pm

sorry for lurking, but this topic burns me up.

the whole premise of a trade is fairness.

they aren't PAYING for Facebook advertising. so that is not of any value.....theoretically you could create a dozen Facebook profiles and steer them all to your main site.

when someone offers to cover the cost of advertising, it needs to be in a way that covers the deduction in your rate.

for instance, if they will be mass mailing promotional cards for their event, that is going to have more potential reach to new clients than your own efforts. we all know facepainting is already a draw for most crowds, especially if it is cheaper than usual or free.

that isn't the case here.

at this point, my rate would be at my discretion. which, for this back and forth insult to my intelligence, would be $500 to book this weekend.

nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 am

*Hugs* Yah It still gets me too that they could offer that and a blip on their webpage as advertising when one of the sites has only 700 likes and their "business" section has only 6-8 companies listed. What a joke.
I was all for the advertising when they first offered with the pay per face because they mentioned I would have my logo and website listed on all fliers, banners and advertising leading up to and at the event.
When I didn't see anything that was when I confronted them.
I already got a job for the day before and just booked one today for the day after. There is still time to get one for Saturday so please send some glitter dust my way ;-)
Just building more confidence. I normally do not do pay per face - I guess this is why Smile
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:45 am

Bottom line... they lied once, they would lie again.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:31 am

yep Smile I got a birthday party for Saturday now so I'm happy. Booked Thursday, Friday Sat and Sunday this week Whoo hoo! Two for next Saturday also. Excited to finally get some extra gigs Smile
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down