Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

between a rock and a hard pkace with client

3 posters

Go down

between a rock and a hard pkace with client  Empty between a rock and a hard pkace with client

Post by mansgurl Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 am

Good morning needed advice on a situation , hope that it's okay to post .
I spoke to a client a while ago about an event, at which time I immediately asked her how many children and what part of the city that she was located in for me to come out. During our conversation she told me that she was waiting for her venue to contact her about an open date and because she knew my coworker I told her not a problem I will be sure to save her a slot in April. She confirmed the date with me last month but never venue details,so when I spoke to her Saturday to confirm everything and get the final details she informed me the event was out of the city. I immediately called her and let her know that I charge more to come out of the city(travel time is 40min and tolls) and she immediately freaked out. I spoke to her about the emails and informed her she never mentions the event was out of the city and that was why I had asked her what part of the city was she in when we first spoke. I feel like I'm in between a rock in a hard place since I don't care about losing the business but because she has like my page and knows other teachers I deal with I do not want to get blacklisted ,however I feel I am losing money by only charging her my regular price and I'm going so very far away and paying tolls.
mansgurl
mansgurl

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

between a rock and a hard pkace with client  Empty Re: between a rock and a hard pkace with client

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 am

I don't see this as between a rock and a hard place. The venue is out of your range and requires additional cost. Those are your terms.

She changed the details so you have to change your quote. Happens.

Did you have a contract signed prior to calling to confirm details? Did you inform her that there were additional costs to travel out of the city?

I always include all my terms, including travel costs, in my initial response to inquiries. Then there aren't any surprizes.

If the gig is a big one (multiple hours, etc.) one option is to waive the travel cost.... If it is worth it. BUT... if it only a birthday party or a small job that won't cover your costs, then it isn't worth it.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide whether you want to bend over and appease her, or stick to your business terms.

Back to top Go down

between a rock and a hard pkace with client  Empty Re: between a rock and a hard pkace with client

Post by mansgurl Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you for the input Shannon I did as you suggested and stuck to my guns and did not take the job .I had already given her a discount due to her knowing my colleague and refuse to take any more losses. I will be making sure to include the point in bold print on my future contracts and also on my facebook page.
mansgurl
mansgurl

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cath03 Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Well done mansgurl. It's good to start off the way you meant to end. I suppose many of us are just so excited when starting off to get offered work, and perhaps some people will take advantage of that thinking you are just going to jump at any offer. So well done for sticking to your principles.
cath03
cath03

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Good for you!

It isn't easy to stick to your guns like that!
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down